BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-14-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Coupe

Errors after Battery Disconnect

So I just installed a mmi unit (carlinkit) and disconnected the battery while installing.

Following the install I went for a drive and got a 3 errors displayed on the screen. They are shown below in the image link.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d3oC4qMw7pGmHyqAA

I did some quick research and tried a few things listed below but it did not change anything.
1. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock 2 times each way
2. Go for a drive (25min long 2 times)

Does anybody have any other things to try? Otherwise I might have to bring it to the dealer to see what they can do.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Have you searched Battery Disconnect?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #3
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBBVTMxX View Post
Yes I have, thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:13 PM   #4
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e iperformance

Check this post, it should guide you. You need ISTA+ to calibrate the SAS and all should be good.

Battery Disconnect - Fault Codes (Collision Warning etc.) https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705949
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 10:31 PM   #5
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegfx4 View Post
So I just installed a mmi unit (carlinkit) and disconnected the battery while installing.

Following the install I went for a drive and got a 3 errors displayed on the screen. They are shown below in the image link.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/d3oC4qMw7pGmHyqAA

I did some quick research and tried a few things listed below but it did not change anything.
1. Turn steering wheel from lock to lock 2 times each way
2. Go for a drive (25min long 2 times)

Does anybody have any other things to try? Otherwise I might have to bring it to the dealer to see what they can do.
Out of curiosity, before you unplugged the battery did you let the car sit for a while and let all the interior lights etc go off (usually can accomplish this best by leaving the key far enough away where the accessories can't come on)? Also, after disconnecting the battery, did you wait a while (ten mins or so) before taking things apart? I ask because I just installed a CarPlay unit and my main concern was throwing codes after reconnecting. I followed the above steps and everything worked out. Obviously not much help to you now, but just trying to ascertain whether those steps actually made a difference or not (may help others who will be attempting a similar install in the future). Good luck though. There may be someone who can remote in and do the work for you as well if you are unable to.
Appreciate 1
scotty339147.00
      05-14-2021, 11:06 PM   #6
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
Out of curiosity, before you unplugged the battery did you let the car sit for a while and let all the interior lights etc go off (usually can accomplish this best by leaving the key far enough away where the accessories can't come on)? Also, after disconnecting the battery, did you wait a while (ten mins or so) before taking things apart? I ask because I just installed a CarPlay unit and my main concern was throwing codes after reconnecting. I followed the above steps and everything worked out. Obviously not much help to you now, but just trying to ascertain whether those steps actually made a difference or not (may help others who will be attempting a similar install in the future). Good luck though. There may be someone who can remote in and do the work for you as well if you are unable to.
I did not wait which was probably what caused this issue in the first place.

Tomorrow I will be trying my friends scan tool that can do the SAS recal on his x5 so we will see if that helps. After that ill probably just go to the dealer.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      05-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e iperformance

It's interesting how this seems to be a hit and miss. I recently installed a HOD for the TJA retrofit. I have a X5 40e, I disconnected the high voltage battery, the negative cable in the accessory battery and then the main battery. I didn't wait between steps and left everything disconnected for about 20 minutes. There were no errors, I've been driving for a couple of days now. I was ready to calibrate with ISTA. Hope everything works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I have, thanks for the help.
I asked because there has been plenty of conversation on this since last year and previously.

A scan tool like a NT530 should be able to clear your faults. If you have a warranty, I'd be concerned about taking it to the dealership as with the additional harness on there, ISTA will show there is a problem connecting to your HU… and then they will know you messed with the system or think that you need a new HU.

It's truly up to you, but if you have someone that can clear the codes it'll be better for you. I know the picture says Airbag, but I follow this 10 minute rule anytime I'm to disconnect the battery for anything electrical in the car and have never had any faults after reconnect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I asked because there has been plenty of conversation on this since last year and previously.

A scan tool like a NT530 should be able to clear your faults. If you have a warranty, I'd be concerned about taking it to the dealership as with the additional harness on there, ISTA will show there is a problem connecting to your HU… and then they will know you messed with the system or think that you need a new HU.

It's truly up to you, but if you have someone that can clear the codes it'll be better for you. I know the picture says Airbag, but I follow this 10 minute rule anytime I'm to disconnect the battery for anything electrical in the car and have never had any faults after reconnect.
Thanks for the info, I just ordered an NT530 to do the SAS calibration, online said it would do it. if it doesn't I guess Ill just return it. In the process of finding somebody in my area (Milwaukee, WI) that has ISTA+ to do this in case the NT530 doesnt work.

edit: Is there a specific order that the batteries need to be disconnected and reconnected? As it stands now from what I have read I think the steps are what I have below here, is this right?

1. open trunk, unlock doors and let car sit until the trunk light goes out, leave key inside house away from car.
2. Disconnect main (left side) battery negative terminal
3. Disconnect aux (right side) battery negative terminal
4. wait 20min for the capacitors to discharge (have seen anywhere from 10-16min in different posts so I just added some extra in case)
5. Do whatever work is needed
6. Connect Aux negative, connect main negative.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      05-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #10
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info, I just ordered an NT530 to do the SAS calibration, online said it would do it. if it doesn't I guess Ill just return it. In the process of finding somebody in my area (Milwaukee, WI) that has ISTA+ to do this in case the NT530 doesnt work.

edit: Is there a specific order that the batteries need to be disconnected and reconnected? As it stands now from what I have read I think the steps are what I have below here, is this right?

1. open trunk, unlock doors and let car sit until the trunk light goes out, leave key inside house away from car.
2. Disconnect main (left side) battery negative terminal
3. Disconnect aux (right side) battery negative terminal
4. wait 20min for the capacitors to discharge (have seen anywhere from 10-16min in different posts so I just added some extra in case)
5. Do whatever work is needed
6. Connect Aux negative, connect main negative.
I followed that exact process but I did NOT disconnect the aux. I purchased the Bimmertech interface and they advised against disconnecting the aux battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #11
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I followed that exact process but I did NOT disconnect the aux. I purchased the Bimmertech interface and they advised against disconnecting the aux battery.
I'm surprised they advise to not disconnect it? From what I have read, if you do not disconnect it then the system is still charged, but maybe thats not true.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm surprised they advise to not disconnect it? From what I have read, if you do not disconnect it then the system is still charged, but maybe thats not true.
Not sure tbh.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

If you only disconnect the main battery, the systems are still powered

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.04.07 AM.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  179.8 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 9.08.06 AM.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  234.3 KB
      05-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #14
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No… only disconnect the Negative battery terminal. That is all

I never disconnect the aux battery. Never have had issues 🤙🏽
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #15
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know who told you that.

I've taken out my whole NBT HU, center console, and 6WA. Left the negative terminal alone disconnect for just about 4 months, and still got zero faults.

I only disconnect the negative and wait 10 minutes before I do any electrical work. I've also completely removed my passenger side airbag to remove the glove box, and the wheel airbag. I have never had issues.

I see someone posted something on here about it from the manual, you can follow that if you want too.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #16
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't know who told you that.

I've taken out my whole NBT HU, center console, and 6WA. Left the negative terminal alone disconnect for just about 4 months, and still got zero faults.

I only disconnect the negative and wait 10 minutes before I do any electrical work. I've also completely removed my passenger side airbag to remove the glove box, and the wheel airbag. I have never had issues.

I see someone posted something on here about it from the manual, you can follow that if you want too.
Just something I have seen in a number of other posts is all, no clue if it is 100% correct though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #17
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Update: the Foxwell NT530 was able to solve all these issues. Honestly it went really smoothly and walked me through every step, would recommend the tool for sure.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      05-18-2021, 10:16 PM   #18
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Does the Foxwell do all the indepth diagnostics like ISTA?.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #19
Mikegfx4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascotgrun View Post
Does the Foxwell do all the indepth diagnostics like ISTA?.
Not sure if it does all of them but there were a lot of options for things that it could do. I did the steering angle sensor and also told the climate control vent motors to calibrate because I had an error with one in the wrong position, it did both of those things without issue. I think there is a list on their website foxwelltech.us
Appreciate 0