BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #45
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Wheels are 11" wide rear and 10" front. With 15mm front and 20mm rear H&R spacers.

No clunking from the coilovers. I had a clunk before the coilovers which I thought might be coming from the OEM front strut or strut mount, but seeing as though the coilovers didn't cure that I'm pretty sure the only FCAB I haven't replaced (Replaced upper arms and one of the two lower FCAB's) is to blame I can't compare the BC to KW's but I don't see the KW's being $1500 better.

Classic_Erik is at 30" front, 30.5" rear without no weird noises or bottoming out.
classic_erik how close are your front/rears from being fully maxed (lowest setting)?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #46
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Make sure you let the suspension settle before making any adjustments. Looks good!
Thanks bud! Tomorrow will be 1 week since in the install. I've checked measurements every morn the past 2 days and numbers haven't changed. I've put a considerable amount of miles on it since so I'd say it's completely settled at this point.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #47
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parthpatel1 View Post
classic_erik how close are your front/rears from being fully maxed (lowest setting)?
I had the front at 29.75 and the rear at 30.25. I was consistently bottoming out on the highway in the rear and couldn't handle it anymore. Driving around town was fine but any dip on the highway at high speeds would crash the back. Raised her 0.25" in the rear and now I'm fine. Only bottom out in the rear very seldom on big dips, particularly on bridges. I did move the front up a hair to 30" to limit the amount of rake. I still think 30" front / 30.5" is the magic setting with these coilovers. That said I'm pretty sure there would be no difference on KWs since the rear tire well is so narrow. Ride height is ride height...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #48
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had the front at 29.75 and the rear at 30.25. I was consistently bottoming out on the highway in the rear and couldn't handle it anymore. Driving around town was fine but any dip on the highway at high speeds would crash the back. Raised her 0.25" in the rear and now I'm fine. Only bottom out in the rear very seldom on big dips, particularly on bridges. I did move the front up a hair to 30" to limit the amount of rake. I still think 30" front / 30.5" is the magic setting with these coilovers. That said I'm pretty sure there would be no difference on KWs since the rear tire well is so narrow. Ride height is ride height...
Great points, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 06:48 AM   #49
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Great info Erik, but I have to wonder if your bottoming out at those lower measurements has more to do with the full soft dampening settings. Mine dampening is middle of the road. Maybe I'll drop it down a touch more and see.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #50
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Great info Erik, but I have to wonder if your bottoming out at those lower measurements has more to do with the full soft dampening settings. Mine dampening is middle of the road. Maybe I'll drop it down a touch more and see.
Possibly. Let me know when you find out? At install I had the middle dampening and the ride was too rigid. Was smashing over small bumps and it wasn't worth it.
      05-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #51
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
Looks friggin great man! Agree about letting it settle a bit, but maybe another .5" imo if you're loading it up too.

Also deets on that rear diffuser and exhaust tips?
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #52
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Let me know on this also. If you can get another .75" lower with adding stiffening of the dampening and not bottom out, I'll likely join the BC crew.
Appreciate 2
jmack1231298.50
      05-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #53
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Possibly. Let me know when you find out? At install I had the middle dampening and the ride was too rigid. Was smashing over small bumps and it wasn't worth it.
Will do Erik! Mine literally rides the same as factory just a touch lower on the middle dampening setting. Handles smaller deviations in the road w/ no prob. I did however bottom out the front drivers side earlier doing 80mph on the interstate hitting a depression in the concrete that just the front right tire hit. Car was flexing weird for sure and this an imperfection in the road that def needs fixed. Has me second guessing going any lower. I'll keep y'all updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
Looks friggin great man! Agree about letting it settle a bit, but maybe another .5" imo if you're loading it up too.

Also deets on that rear diffuser and exhaust tips?
Thanks dude! Bought that diffuser on the forum ages ago. It was dirt cheap and so simple to install. I'm assuming you can find it on ebay. The poser akrapovic tips were purchased on Aliexpress. 3" inlet, 4.5" outlet. That's all the info Ali would give me since it's been awhile since my purchase.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272129.00
      05-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #54
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Bottomed out again today on an interstate off ramp deviation. Makes me cringe. Dampening is in the middle so can't blame it on that. I'm banking on the sheer weight of this beast. My E46 M3 was slammed on BC Racing coilovers and never bottomed out. I'm def second guessing going any lower as I feel like this would exaggerate the issue. Hate to say it but this might be an argument for the KW's. Having no experience w/ them I wonder if this an issue with them as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #55
lionyard
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hey Team, The front and rear ground to finder measurements are 30 1/4 inches. I was looking for balance. If you have additional questions? Please contact.

The mod also included adding performance breaks and 22" wheels from Vossen.

Note: BMW had a great deal on breaks to include the install.

Engine mods are next.

I love the ride...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jmack1231298.50
      05-16-2021, 08:31 AM   #56
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionyard View Post
Hey Team, The front and rear ground to finder measurements are 30 1/4 inches. I was looking for balance. If you have additional questions? Please contact.

Engine mods are next.

I love the ride...
Looks badass and thanks for adding to this thread! Not sure how many miles you've logged on the coilovers but once you get some seat time please comment if you bottom out on deviations at highway speeds.

More details about the performance brakes please...price and such.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #57
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bottomed out again today on an interstate off ramp deviation. Makes me cringe. Dampening is in the middle so can't blame it on that. I'm banking on the sheer weight of this beast. My E46 M3 was slammed on BC Racing coilovers and never bottomed out. I'm def second guessing going any lower as I feel like this would exaggerate the issue. Hate to say it but this might be an argument for the KW's. Having no experience w/ them I wonder if this an issue with them as well?
Bummer!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #58
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionyard View Post

Engine mods are next.

I love the ride...
Do you ever bottom out on your KWs?
      05-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #59
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
I hope he answer isn't no! My wife will f'ing kill me if I pour anymore money into this thing!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #60
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I hope he answer isn't no! My wife will f'ing kill me if I pour anymore money into this thing!
Haha I feel the same. Something tells me his answer is no based of how many F85 KW users are slammed.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 03:49 PM   #61
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Haha I feel the same. Something tells me his answer is no based of how many F85 KW users are slammed.
You shut your whore mouth lol I'm afraid you're right. So the question is, is an extra $1500 worth not bottoming out on rare occasions? Luckily for me, spending $2500 for coilovers is out of question.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #62
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You shut your whore mouth lol I'm afraid you're right. So the question is, is an extra $1500 worth not bottoming out on rare occasions? Luckily for me, spending $2500 for coilovers is out of question.
Yeah it's gonna be a tough call. Have to justify cost compared to extra ability to go lower from my H&R's.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #63
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it's gonna be a tough call. Have to justify cost compared to extra ability to go lower from my H&R's.
VTF's? I personally like your stance.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #64
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
VTF's? I personally like your stance.
Just H&R sport springs. I'm honestly not even sure how much lower I'll be able to go with KW's. I think I just like spending money hahahah
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #65
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
How have the coilovers been performing the last week? Any improvement with bottoming out etc?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #66
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
How have the coilovers been performing the last week? Any improvement with bottoming out etc?
They've done great with no bottoming out. I've figured out where those imperfections on the interstate are and I avoid that lane. Still hard for me to fully access the handling with these since I've got a non-coilover related front right suspension issue. When I corner aggressively the issue triggers the traction control light. My mechanic took a ride with me and suspects dry tie rod end links. I've got to drop it off next week for him to pinpoint.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231298.50