BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #1
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

BM3 Stage 2 w/ OEM Intercooler and Spark Plugs

Bootmod recommends upgrading the intercooler, and going 1 step colder on the spark plugs with stage 2. I know some adhere to this and some don't. Obviously, an aftermarket downpipe as well as the BM3 stage 2 license is required. Just wanted to get some feedback from users in both camps. I do worry about running high boost (17-20 psi) in the hot months to come. I'm in the southeast and it gets very hot and humid this time of year.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #2
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Suspension, then brakes, cooling, then power.
Always with the supporting mods. How I always look at things.

If you plan to go Stage 2, I'd get the inter cooler. Will help you deal with heat soak issues and let you use that power on a longer duration. If you plan on just doing a pull every so often you can put it off but Id for the $, I'd get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:57 AM   #3
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post
Suspension, then brakes, cooling, then power.
Always with the supporting mods. How I always look at things.

If you plan to go Stage 2, I'd get the inter cooler. Will help you deal with heat soak issues and let you use that power on a longer duration. If you plan on just doing a pull every so often you can put it off but Id for the $, I'd get it.
Who needs brakes? lol I like your list of importance. If I lived where you do I prob wouldn't even worry about upgrading the intercooler. I won't be tracking the car so like you said just some spirited runs every now and then. Mostly when merging onto the interstate during my morn commute. I'm thinking I might put off the intercooler for now. Been in contact w/ VRSF about a downpipe + intercooler combo discount but their customer service is horrible and beats around the question. Never a straight up answer and they take 2 days to reply. Tired of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
FWIW, I live in KC and plan on running the VRSF inter cooler with only a RaceChip box because every car I've had has heat soaked like a mf here even stock.

I'm kind of OCD though so just my 0.02.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #5
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
FWIW, I live in KC and plan on running the VRSF inter cooler with only a RaceChip box because every car I've had has heat soaked like a mf here even stock.

I'm kind of OCD though so just my 0.02.
Good looking out but how are you measuring the heat soak? Also, is your AFE intake an open or closed box design?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:20 PM   #6
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Good looking out but how are you measuring the heat soak? Also, is your AFE intake an open or closed box design?
On my previous VW's I was monitoring IAT via P3 Gauges and logging through VCDS. Hoping to find something similar come the warmer months via BimmerLink or something. I'd at least like to know what they are.

AFE is closed box, pic for reference.
Attached Images

2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
On my previous VW's I was monitoring IAT via P3 Gauges and logging through VCDS. Hoping to find something similar come the warmer months via BimmerLink or something. I'd at least like to know what they are.

Ok, good deal I was hoping you'd say IAT's. Fyi, the BM3 app has live gauges where you can monitor and log IAT's on top of various other attributes.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272121.50
      05-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Did some logging today now that I'm stage 2 BM3 w/ catless dp. Still running OEM spark plugs and OEM FMIC. Boost peaked at 19psi, while normal operating IAT's was 76 def F w/ the peak at 100 def F. It wasn't a hot day though, low 60s while I was logging. She runs like a scalded cat and I'm loving the extra hp. Vibrant muffler will be installed on Tue. next week
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272121.50
      05-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #9
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 x35i

Quote:
Quote:

How do you like that afe intake system? I ordered it, but long lead time I was told. I'm worried that it will throw cel on me. I only have mppk and RC gts black. No bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #10
Bagpype
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Porsche 944s2

Quote:
Did some logging today now that I'm stage 2 BM3 w/ catless dp. Still running OEM spark plugs and OEM FMIC. Boost peaked at 19psi, while normal operating IAT's was 76 def F w/ the peak at 100 def F. It wasn't a hot day though, low 60s while I was logging. She runs like a scalded cat and I'm loving the extra hp. Vibrant muffler will be installed on Tue. next week
Where did you get the dp? Does the bm3 code the check engine light off without the cat?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoutF15 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

How do you like that afe intake system? I ordered it, but long lead time I was told. I'm worried that it will throw cel on me. I only have mppk and RC gts black. No bootmod3
I love it! Butt dyno def felt a difference but I did the charge pipe at the same time so I'm sure that helped. I'm on RaceChip RS and no CEL after 5 months of the intake on.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BM3 Stage 2 w/ OEM Intercooler and Spark Plugs

Quote:
I'm jealous of your unlockable DME, but that's awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #13
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpype View Post
Where did you get the dp? Does the bm3 code the check engine light off without the cat?
Ben over at RGSport (forum sponsor) always takes care of me. Went with the ER catless: https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...tless+downpipe

Quote:
lol, unlocked is pretty awesome. Having had the RC GTS black then recently moving to BM3, it's a game changer. Even stage 1 feels so much faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpype View Post
Ben over at RGSport (forum sponsor) always takes care of me. Went with the ER catless: https://www.rgsportshop.com/index.ph...tless+downpipe

Quote:
lol, unlocked is pretty awesome. Having had the RC GTS black then recently moving to BM3, it's a game changer. Even stage 1 feels so much faster.
Plus 1 on the awesome support from Ben at RG sport. I did lowering, spacers, RC gts, xlr and boost pipe all in the same month from him. Did you have mppk on your car? I got that installed because mine is still under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #15
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Plus 1 on the awesome support from Ben at RG sport. I did lowering, spacers, RC gts, xlr and boost pipe all in the same month from him. Did you have mppk on your car? I got that installed because mine is still under warranty.
Yeah he's gotten a lot of my money too. RC GTS Black, ER charge pipe, ER downpipe, wheel spacers

No MPPK, moved from the RC to BM3 flash tune. I purchased the car w/ 50K miles already out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #16
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah he's gotten a lot of my money too. RC GTS Black, ER charge pipe, ER downpipe, wheel spacers

No MPPK, moved from the RC to BM3 flash tune. I purchased the car w/ 50K miles already out of warranty.
Lol. Nice. I wanted the ER downpipe from him too but couldn't guarantee no cel issue. I wonder how much quicker the bm3 is vs mppk stacked with RC. I will eventually go with your setup I think
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #17
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Lol. Nice. I wanted the ER downpipe from him too but couldn't guarantee no cel issue. I wonder how much quicker the bm3 is vs mppk stacked with RC. I will eventually go with your setup I think
Yeah he can't guarantee the no CEL. I just passed emissions a week before the dp was installed so I'm at least good for the next year.
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #18
blackoutF15
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah he can't guarantee the no CEL. I just passed emissions a week before the dp was installed so I'm at least good for the next year.
What state are you in?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #19
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
What state are you in?
TN. We don't have smog.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #20
M302_imola
Major
Rep

FYI, BM3 flash tune allows you to customize some features including "start up roar" which I'm loving. No matter how warm the car is it's a cold start every time. The standard BM3 stage 2 tune defaults to disable cold start since cats are deleted. I personally love the sound of cold start.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 06:21 AM   #21
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Reading more about 1 and 2 step colder plugs and it's really got me putting this at the top on my priority list. With a peak boost of 19 psi my injectors are obviously dumping a large amount of gas into the motor and I'd hate to get detonation. Also, BM3 stage 1 flash tune was so smooth which is designed for OEM plugs. When I went catless dp and flashed stage 2 it doesn't quite feel as smooth and I'm wondering not going 1 to 2 steps colder on the plugs could be the cause. Guess we'll see. I'll get this done soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #22
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would def go one step colder. Are you feeling it misfire?
Appreciate 0