BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #45
vinnyidol
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6M

So i ended up buying the carbon fiber fenders from IND. They ended up not fitting my 2017 f86. The one i received did not have the side makers. It was broken off or shaved off.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #46
vinnyidol
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyidol View Post
So i ended up buying the carbon fiber fenders from IND. They ended up not fitting my 2017 f86. The one i received did not have the side makers. It was broken off or shaved off.
How do I install this?? IND is saying they sent me the correct item but it does not fit my 2017 f86

https://ibb.co/TvYktJF
https://ibb.co/MGfrvdC
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #47
MOTO
Turbo fever
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Garage List
Just swapped out to OEM black X5M side grills today.

Dang, it was a pita to get the old ones off and a bit unnerving how hard you have to pull...until the tabs just break off of the old grills, lol.

Good thing I had 3M tape laying around...and I got the new ones on, without further incident.

Thanks again for this thread. Still helping people years later...
      07-06-2022, 11:31 PM   #48
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG123 View Post
See the thread above. You need the small screws that go in as an angle the head of the 4 screws holds it in place. The F86 fixing are different than the F85.
I don't get it. Where exactly are the screws to go in at an angle? The only thing I can think of is install the unit and screw into the tabs from behind the fender to hold the tabs in place and thus prevent the grill from sliding off the fender (see the TIS pic). I don't see any other function of the damn screws. If I had 3M tape, I'd just tape the grill. This is the OEM X6M black grill. TIS instructions does not mention the damn screws - just says to clip the grill in.
Attached Images

Last edited by musa; 07-06-2022 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 02:17 AM   #49
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Didn't realize the X5m openings were that different then the x6m openings. I didn't use the round hole as I didn't want to melt mine in. I just used double sided tape.

Opted for oem black gills.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 02:58 AM   #50
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

I ended up screwing in from behind the fender (there's an access behind the wheel well), using only two screws per side and the gills are sitting in pretty flash. It was challenging to do this, and I'd recommend removing the front wheels to have a clear view of where the screw goes in. Pre-drilled the holes first to make it easy to screw in. Added an itty-bitty spot of tape on top as the gill had a little bit of play. Happy with the results. If I had the wheels off, I'd have done a better job and wouldn't have needed the spot of tape.

Note: This applies to only X6M.
Attached Images

Last edited by musa; 07-07-2022 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #51
robrwalker
M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB F82, 2018 AW F86

Yeah to anyone doing this now and just checking out this thread just know it is a major bitch to break these things out, but keep pulling and eventually they will come. I had to break the original clips off on both sides, it looked to me like they were melted into place from the back.

I used a little JB Weld to hold the new black ones in place and it worked very well. Otherwise the new ones would have just fallen right out. Sounds like the 3M double sided tape would also work well
Appreciate 2
musa419.00
      07-21-2022, 07:48 PM   #52
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrwalker View Post
Yeah to anyone doing this now and just checking out this thread just know it is a major bitch to break these things out, but keep pulling and eventually they will come. I had to break the original clips off on both sides, it looked to me like they were melted into place from the back.

I used a little JB Weld to hold the new black ones in place and it worked very well. Otherwise the new ones would have just fallen right out. Sounds like the 3M double sided tape would also work well
Yes these things are melted shut at the factory 🤪
Appreciate 1
musa419.00
      07-21-2022, 09:05 PM   #53
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Yes these things are melted shut at the factory ��
I think it would be pretty tough to remove the originals intact. At least for the X6M, the way it looked, if one wanted to remove the originals intact, the melted tabs could be cut off with a long snipping tool from behind the fender. Otherwise, yes, as Robrwalker says, just rip them out with controlled force so that the tabs don't get damaged, as depicted in the pic. It's essential for those spots to remain intact for the new fender trim.
Attached Images

Last edited by musa; 07-21-2022 at 09:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #54
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Quote:
Yes these things are melted shut at the factory ��
I think it would be pretty tough to remove the originals intact. At least for the X6M, the way it looked, if one wanted to remove the originals intact, the melted tabs could be cut off with a long snipping tool from behind the fender. Otherwise, yes, just rip them out with controlled force so that the tabs don't get damaged, as depicted in the pic. It's essential for those spots to remain intact for the new fender trim.
Those are completely different then the X5m ones. Those look difficult too. Looks like they need to be bent before removing ?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:19 PM   #55
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are completely different then the X5m ones. Those look difficult too. Looks like they need to be bent before removing ?
Yes, they broke in half while removing them. I tried to save them but if I'd known, I should have first snipped the melted part behind the fender. Here's a video where someone successfully removed the X6M version intact.

Appreciate 2
      07-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #56
88bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 50i f85 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Quote:
Yes, they broke in half while removing them. I tried to save them but if I'd known, I should have first snipped the melted part behind the fender. Here's a video where someone successfully removed the X6M version intact.

Vinyl wrap or leave it alone match the chrome exhaust tips
Appreciate 0