09-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #45
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroach04 View Post
Finally got around to fixing the badges on the back. Replaced the not-so-true X5 ///M badge with a black X5 badge, and replaced the chrome BMW emblem with a black one, both are from IND.
Oh black badge looks nice. I should have had them paint my X6 badge white when the shop put it back on my car after fixing garage door damage. I've debadged all my Xs, but I've left the X6 badges on the back of my X6s...I dunno why. Perhaps its to emphasize my retardedness (my license plate has 'X5' in it -- its 3 cars old ).
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #46
DGM
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Missed my point

I didn't want an M badge on the car, I only opted for the "M Sport Package" for the M Sport suspension (a little lower to the ground). I thought it was weird that it has M logos at all was my point, just calling it "sport suspension or sport package" would have made more sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #47
meklein
Registered
Rep
Drives: Benz M 201

It's pretty much up to BMW to decide which models are 'M' designated, whether they are made in a purpose built installation or the main production line is a matter of economics and logisitics. Various bits of the 'M' componentry find their way onto lesser models as M sport options. BMW have in the past decided that this warrants the placement of an 'M' badge. This represents an affront to some owners of 'real' M cars myloweslife, but is it really that important? Sure there will be some who would like to attract the perceived kudos that comes with 'M' ownership by falsely badging their cars however most BMW owners can spot the difference and non BMW onwers probably don't know anyway.

Last edited by meklein; 11-24-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #48
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I want to chime in about people who put ///M badge on non-M cars. I used to think same as many of you: that BMW owners know it, and non BMW owners don't care. However, I changed my mind. Getting older and I start to understand how world works a bit better now lol. It turns out majority of car owners are non-car guys and it turns out for them ///M badge does mean something. Majority will indeed think it's some M model and will think owner drives expensive car.
Is it silly and plain wrong? Of course. But this is how world works. From 100 people - there are 99 Homers and only 1 Einstein. Homers get tricked easy and they tend to believe //M badge even if it's fake. This is why we still see those fake badges.
Just drive in NY and pay attention to people driving their cars - you'll quickly realize that when person doesn't know something (like if ///M car is real or fake) person tends to believe it, rather then not - just human nature.

As for M letter that does not denote M car that BMW puts from factory - they do it for a reason and it's easy for us car-guys to forget that even regular BMW can often be superior to majority of cars driven outside in real world full of Chevy and Fords. Hence BMW has 100% right to do it when it thinks it's due.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #49
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

It drives better than a Ford because it's a BMW, not because it has an M Badge... A non-M BMW drives the same with or without that freaking badge...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #50
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripperhappy View Post
Don't think it's standard in the US. Might be for other European countries though.
Yes, it is not standard in the U.S. and I never could understand why. Yes, I know many people like to de-badge and that is fine and does make our X5s cleaner, but I still like the side badge.
I believe early (very early) mpackage F15 models in the US got the side M emblems, discontinued very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #51
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Someone asked me why X5 looks bigger than their X3. I guess they were really confused when confronted with a debadged car.
      05-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #52
CO_JM_BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Placing an M Sport badge on BMW X5 F15

I recently purchased M sport badges for my X5 and could not find anywhere online that showed in detail where to place them.

If anyone wants some insight into what I found, you can check out this video.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #53
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_JM_BMW View Post
I recently purchased M sport badges for my X5 and could not find anywhere online that showed in detail where to place them.
IMO, place them in the garbage! Sorry, not trying to be a dick but not my style.

As a former E46 M3 owner, I take offense to non-M vehicles sporting the M badge. Use to cringe seeing it and still do.
Appreciate 3
jiggz2139.50
NYBulldog1310.00
      05-08-2021, 03:41 PM   #54
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroach04 View Post
Does the 50i M Sport come with the //M badge on the back, or just the true X5 M?
50i with M Sport package I believe has the M badges on top of the left and right fenders in some markets
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #55
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_JM_BMW View Post
IMO, place them in the garbage! Sorry, not trying to be a dick but not my style.

As a former E46 M3 owner, I take offense to non-M vehicles sporting the M badge. Use to cringe seeing it and still do.
I believe the M Sport badges (the one on the fenders) were put by BMW on the cars in non US markets. I remember seeing them even on BMWs official M Performance site where they sold kits for various cars.

If BMW themselves put the badges, how is it fake? Just wondering…not that it matters much.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #56
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
I believe the M Sport badges (the one on the fenders) were put by BMW on the cars in non US markets. I remember seeing them even on BMWs official M Performance site where they sold kits for various cars.

If BMW themselves put the badges, how is it fake? Just wondering…not that it matters much.
I don't care if it comes from the factory that way or not I don't like it! I don't like BMW putting the M badge on the X440i's either. If it's not a "true" M car then leave the damn M badges off the m f'er! There...rant over
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #57
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
Quote:

I don't care if it comes from the factory that way or not I don't like it! I don't like BMW putting the M badge on the X440i's either. If it's not a "true" M car then leave the damn M badges off the m f'er! There...rant over
At this point, it's probably more branding than anything else. Similar to what Mercedes is doing with AMG. It's using the brand to sell merchandise.

Here is an M badge stuck to a pole!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #58
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
At this point, it's probably more branding than anything else. Similar to what Mercedes is doing with AMG. It's using the brand to sell merchandise.

Here is an M badge stuck to a pole!
lol, m performance pole.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #59
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Lol this is totally first world problems.....
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      05-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #60
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Here's my stance.

All M badges on non M cars should be under the legal penalty.

Even that my car is theoretically an M Performance model, all outside M badges are gone. Getting rid of interior badges are too much hassle, so I have to live with them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #61
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Exactly. Some are so ridiculous when it comes to badging. Someone else's badging is pretty damn close to the bottom of my long list of things I have to worry about on a daily basis.

I rocked E46 M3 fender vents on my 328i E36 when I was in my early 20's. Would I do it now? Nope. Outgrew that. But I'm not going to rake someone over the coals for rocking a badge they like either. Any enthusiast can recognize a real M car under most circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #62
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Quote:
Exactly. Some are so ridiculous when it comes to badging. Someone else's badging is pretty damn close to the bottom of my long list of things I have to worry about on a daily basis.

I rocked E46 M3 fender vents on my 328i E36 when I was in my early 20's. Would I do it now? Nope. Outgrew that. But I'm not going to rake someone over the coals for rocking a badge they like either. Any enthusiast can recognize a real M car under most circumstances.
Yep.

I am always under the "if you want to do it do it"

It's up to the guy or gal to mod and custom how they see fit.

But everyone has the freedom to have an opinion just don't try and force others to have the same opinion as yours.

Some people are off put because they spent 100k on a car and others can get close to 99% of the look without the performance and pay a quarter of the price. So I can see their reasoning.

For most it's probably the look.

Some countries don't have closed courses to drive an M the way it was meant to be driven or even a track close by for that matter.

So many M models go their lives driving stop light to stop light with Jonny law at every corner just licking their lips.

Who am I to judge.

I've seen some convincing fakes and some that where so modified beyond an "M" it might have well have been....

I remember their was a Z4 and it had all the M bits and M stickers but it had a V10 from an M5 and fully custom suspension and destroyed all it came across. But is was just a lowly I model not even the iS, So would someone say pssst !

What makes an M an M ? Engine ? Suspension ? vin? Looks? All of those. But if you take something away from it does it make it not an M?

If I have an M4 and I swap the suspension with something from KW I now have a non stock M so does that make it any less?
Same as if I have a stock low end model and stick an M engine into it with the proper kit, minus a VIN does that make it any less?

.... lol. I have other things to worry about. .
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50
      05-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #63
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Quote:

Yep.

I am always under the "if you want to do it do it"

It's up to the guy or gal to mod and custom how they see fit.

But everyone has the freedom to have an opinion just don't try and force others to have the same opinion as yours.

Some people are off put because they spent 100k on a car and others can get close to 99% of the look without the performance and pay a quarter of the price. So I can see their reasoning.

For most it's probably the look.

Some countries don't have closed courses to drive an M the way it was meant to be driven or even a track close by for that matter.

So many M models go their lives driving stop light to stop light with Jonny law at every corner just licking their lips.

Who am I to judge.

I've seen some convincing fakes and some that where so modified beyond an "M" it might have well have been....

I remember their was a Z4 and it had all the M bits and M stickers but it had a V10 from an M5 and fully custom suspension and destroyed all it came across. But is was just a lowly I model not even the iS, So would someone say pssst !

What makes an M an M ? Engine ? Suspension ? vin? Looks? All of those. But if you take something away from it does it make it not an M?

If I have an M4 and I swap the suspension with something from KW I now have a non stock M so does that make it any less?
Same as if I have a stock low end model and stick an M engine into it with the proper kit, minus a VIN does that make it any less?

.... lol. I have other things to worry about. .
Spot on. There is status in owning an M car. To casual observers the only way they can differentiate an M from a non M is the badge.

I see no difference in putting an M badge as any other sticker on a car. It doesn't upset me either way. FWIW, I bought my X5 50i CPO from the dealer and the previous owner had put the fender M badges and it was still there when it was sold to me! So not even BMW decided to take it out. I just assumed it was part of the M Sport package. Go figure.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231300.50