BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 N55 M sport

N55 F15 aftermarket intercooler

I know a few people had been interested in an aftermarket intercooler for the n55 x5, but no one made one. despite what many people have been saying about "the stock one is big as it is" false, yes it is bigger than the oem intercooler from an F30 or so, but I compared my oem IC to an active autowerke IC (which is one of the smaller upgraded f30 IC's) and the AA is much larger.

On that note I did some more digging and found out from Evolution Racewerkes that the f10/f12/f15/f16 all have the same fitment but they don't make one for this fitment because "there isn't enough room".

However Wagner Tuning and VRSF have recently developed an IC for the f10/f12 fitment because of the increased demand for those cars. Theoretically one of those two should fit our F15 platform. The charge pipes for the f10 fit the f15, and if the charge pipes are interchangeable then the IC should connect no problem too.

Would love to hear if anyone else has gotten this far or is willing to take the plunge and buy one. I have been trying to get ahold of VRSF since their IC is cheaper than the Wagner (600 vs 900).

Thoughts???
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Intercooler for x5 35d and 35i are the same. Per my search, no one makes bolt in intercooler yet, but one is coming out soon.

Check out this thread.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1311490
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Intercooler for x5 35d and 35i are the same. Per my search, no one makes bolt in intercooler yet, but one is coming out soon.

Check out this thread.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1311490
Have you done your research with consideration that the f10/f12 should fit as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:20 AM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I'm just curious as to why you don't think the stock intercooler is adequate?
Appreciate 2
unluky7520.00
      01-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacegray_f15 View Post
Have you done your research with consideration that the f10/f12 should fit as well?
I mounting brackets are different. So it would not be a direct bolt on.

Now, if you are willing to make your own mounting brackets (weld them on the intercooler), then you can use IC put out for different cars (f10/f12).

For example, this is what BPC did to their build:
https://f10.5post.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=34

However, going custom might end up being cheaper if you know how (or have someone) to weld.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
same reason why everyone goes with an upgraded IC, the oem heat soaks and it is fairly small. I am planning on going with a bm3 tune and I want to keep the temps down
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #7
slick_dipstick
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6 35i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
same reason why everyone goes with an upgraded IC, the oem heat soaks and it is fairly small. I am planning on going with a bm3 tune and I want to keep the temps down
I pretty much have the FBO package without upgraded fmic on my f16 35i. I'm running stage 2 on the daily and I have zero issues. I do run mhd stage 2+ but only at nights when ambient temps are lower. As I'm afraid to run in warmer weather lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

A larger IC will help with temps for sure. Another option is to resize the turbo. If the new tune takes the compressor out of the optimum part of the map then you'll get more heat from inefficiency. Likewise on the hot side, more work more heat. While turbos are not cheap neither is the new IC. Proper size will minimize lag, of course. I like to stay in the center of compressor and turbine maps, plus it sets up for higher output tunes later.

I'm pretty good at spending others money.....

No matter what, you'll have fun. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #9
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone purchased the Wagner tuning intercooler? It was available for a couple weeks and had limited quantity from what I saw and they now are unavailable so I assume they sold out? Would love to hear any reviews!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Has anyone purchased the Wagner tuning intercooler? It was available for a couple weeks and had limited quantity from what I saw and they now are unavailable so I assume they sold out? Would love to hear any reviews!

Was debating it, but changed mind as I wanted to wait for reviews.
My understanding was that you order it, so it's not in stock. If they're not available for sale, something else is wrong.
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      06-26-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Quote:

Was debating it, but changed mind as I wanted to wait for reviews.
My understanding was that you order it, so it's not in stock. If they're not available for sale, something else is wrong.
I checked couple weeks ago, and they said that it is not in the US.
Still will take a few weeks to get them here.
So, if it is sold out, my guess, the buyers won't even have it for a while.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:55 PM   #12
spacegray_f15
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Based on the data sheet on their website, it looks like it kept the IATs down solid across the pulls
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 X35I

Quote:
Based on the data sheet on their website, it looks like it kept the IATs down solid across the pulls
I posted earlier about looking into a Pure Stage 2 Turbo upgrade on another thread for my F15. I confirmed with Pure that it will work as a bolt on kit and no problems just running on 93. They were persistent though on upgrading the intercooler which made me search the forum. I know there aren't many reviews yet on the Wagner, but I just looked on their site this morning and they had no stock. I just looked again and they now have a small amount in stock. I called Wagner and they said they have 10 in stock for sure and are now going through incoming inspection. I had to jump the gun and placed an order. It is expected to ship late this week. I will keep the group posted on updates once it comes in and I have my Indy do the install in the next few weeks.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #14
AlpineOnCoral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 SDrive35i

*following*
      07-09-2019, 12:52 PM   #15
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Just a quick update on my order for the newly released Wagner Comp Intercooler for the F15 X5.

I saw Wagner had a small stock early last week - 10 units. I placed the order and then called Wagner early in the week. I was told the stock just came in and would be going through their incoming inspection before shipping out. It was expected to ship late last week.

I called yesterday to check on status of my order and I was told the small batch of 10 they had ended up failing inspection and needed some kind of re-work. I couldn't get much more details than that. They said they would try to rush at least 1 of those 10 failures to expedite my order. They said they would confirm by the EOB yesterday an estimated timeframe to get it out.

I never heard back so I called Wagner again today. I was told by this gentleman that he was specifically aware of my call yesterday and that 1 intercooler was sent out for re-work, but he could not confirm when it may ship to me.

Makes me curious what the failure even is and hopeful for the money I spent on it, it doesn't end up being a dudd and more trouble than worth it.

I know a few people on the forum are interested in this product so I will report back when I get more details.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 01:03 PM   #16
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK170 View Post
Just a quick update on my order for the newly released Wagner Comp Intercooler for the F15 X5.

I saw Wagner had a small stock early last week - 10 units. I placed the order and then called Wagner early in the week. I was told the stock just came in and would be going through their incoming inspection before shipping out. It was expected to ship late last week.

I called yesterday to check on status of my order and I was told the small batch of 10 they had ended up failing inspection and needed some kind of re-work. I couldn't get much more details than that. They said they would try to rush at least 1 of those 10 failures to expedite my order. They said they would confirm by the EOB yesterday an estimated timeframe to get it out.

I never heard back so I called Wagner again today. I was told by this gentleman that he was specifically aware of my call yesterday and that 1 intercooler was sent out for re-work, but he could not confirm when it may ship to me.

Makes me curious what the failure even is and hopeful for the money I spent on it, it doesn't end up being a dudd and more trouble than worth it.

I know a few people on the forum are interested in this product so I will report back when I get more details.

Thanks.
That just reinforces what a very reputable member told me in private about this particular intercooler.
Keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-26-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Well after a long month of waiting for Wagner Tuning to fix an issue on one of their early orders for the Comp Intercooler built for the X5/X6 F15/F16, my order has finally arrived!

Installing it tomorrow morning along with a FTP Motorsport Boost Pipe and an ER Charge Pipe and LIC Pipe.

Since the LIC is really for an F10, going to try making a few mods to it to see if I can get it to work with this setup on my F15.

Updates will be posted later this weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Russmov1328.00
menelaos1226.00
W37V1101.00
      07-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #18
JWK170
Private First Class
Rep

Well bad news. Friday late afternoon I received a call from Wagner telling me don't install the intercooler. It is being recalled.

From their explanation, someone that had received one of the first shipments contacted them and notified them Friday morning that they did not machine the area where the C-Clips connect the male connection on the intercooler to the boost and charge pipes correctly.

They had a few in stock that they were going to machine with a correction for the error. They said I would have it overnighted to me by Wednesday along with a label to return the original intercooler.

Glad I didn't have my car all ripped apart to find this on my own. Sounds like Wagner is trying to make good on this, but this is the second failure since I made the original purchase in early July. The original issue I did not get much info on, but apparently they did not pass incoming inspection when they were received from Germany and had to get sent back out in the US for some type of repair/fix.

Praying these are not signs that this is going to be something with future problems once installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well bad news. Friday late afternoon I received a call from Wagner telling me don't install the intercooler. It is being recalled.

From their explanation, someone that had received one of the first shipments contacted them and notified them Friday morning that they did not machine the area where the C-Clips connect the male connection on the intercooler to the boost and charge pipes correctly.

They had a few in stock that they were going to machine with a correction for the error. They said I would have it overnighted to me by Wednesday along with a label to return the original intercooler.

Glad I didn't have my car all ripped apart to find this on my own. Sounds like Wagner is trying to make good on this, but this is the second failure since I made the original purchase in early July. The original issue I did not get much info on, but apparently they did not pass incoming inspection when they were received from Germany and had to get sent back out in the US for some type of repair/fix.

Praying these are not signs that this is going to be something with future problems once installed.

Looks like this was handled amateurishly, as it's plagued by problems.
I know it's nice to be a pioneer, but being a burned guinea pig is something else...!
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #20
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:

With the issues that are coming up I'd be hesitant to install this. If things like this are being overlooked, who is to tell what may be wrong elsewhere. Id say proceed with caution!
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #21
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry you are having trouble with this.

I installed a Spearco aftercooler kit on a early 90's diesel pickup.

Turboneticsinc.com now manufactures Spearco inter/after coolers. Intercoolers on gasoline and aftercoolers on diesel.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/perfor...G_FINAL_17.pdf

Page 35 are intercoolers. You'll note they will make you anything. The preceding pages have some interesting info on compressor and turbine sizing with Aspect Ratio.

Bottom line? I'd have an intercooler built to your spec. This will size it for the turbo upgrade you'll want next.
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00
      07-29-2019, 01:50 PM   #22
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a quick discussion of A/R design trade offs.

https://www.dieselville.com/695-turbo-aspect-ratio-ar
Appreciate 1
JWK170200.00