03-01-2021, 07:07 AM   #23
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFF_X5M View Post
Interesting that other threads suggest people are happy with their spring set-up but this thread is very firm on KW's are literally the only option for the X5M.

Are springs a problem only when going with an aggressive very low stance or are all springs just THAT bad? I was considering the Dinan springs but I can't find much info on them other than on Dinan's website.
Ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers it seems...

I did hear that the Dinan springs are some of the/if not the worst. They barely lower and they're soft according to what I've heard.

I almost got the H&R Sport Springs installed a couple of weeks ago. But I'm still waiting for information to seep out about the VTF. KWs are a no-brainer but very expensive.

We'll keep at it and see!
Appreciate 1
KFF_X5M44.00
      03-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #24
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Another alternative is the Eibach pro kit option. I am running it and there is no difference in ride quality, and a decent drop( only 1" but puts it more where it should have been stock) Combined with 20/25 mm spacers they make a great handling improvement ( more cornering stability and roll control) and offer very good ride quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
musa419.00
TZB///3105.00
jiggz2110.00
KFF_X5M44.00
A.dot234.50
sly1types426.50
GotV8?1048.50
      03-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #25
TZB///3
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '16 F80/ '19 G01/ '18 F85 BSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Another alternative is the Eibach pro kit option. I am running it and there is no difference in ride quality, and a decent drop( only 1" but puts it more where it should have been stock) Combined with 20/25 mm spacers they make a great handling improvement ( more cornering stability and roll control) and offer very good ride quality.

How did you install Eibach's? I believe this kit comes with 4 lowering springs but our F85's have rear air bags and is self leveling.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #26
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZB///3 View Post
How did you install Eibach's? I believe this kit comes with 4 lowering springs but our F85's have rear air bags and is self leveling.
I purchased lowering links separately for rears, and left the springs in the box..lol.
Appreciate 1
KFF_X5M44.00
      03-01-2021, 12:07 PM   #27
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Gotta pick your brain about this...

Quote:
So front springs and rear links only?

Do you need the spacers for it to look right? What's the ride like at triple digits with spacers? What kind are you running?

What's the ride like in C/S/SS suspension modes?

By the way, how did you black out the tail and why did you leave the headlights alone?

Looks great so far! Love the height, just enough, perfect for what I would want.

Any insight is welcome, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #28
TZB///3
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
I purchased lowering links separately for rears, and left the springs in the box..lol.

Ahh got it. Looks good bro!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #29
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastern X5M View Post
So front springs and rear links only?

Do you need the spacers for it to look right? What's the ride like at triple digits with spacers? What kind are you running?

What's the ride like in C/S/SS suspension modes?

By the way, how did you black out the tail and why did you leave the headlights alone?

Looks great so far! Love the height, just enough, perfect for what I would want.

Any insight is welcome, thanks!
Yes, you need to buy the f15 kit with 4 springs, and then get adjustable links separately. In Europe they have a 2 spring kit for air suspension models, but proved difficult to get to Canada in a timely manner. These are the spring kit:

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...odClar=M+Sport

here are the links:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-BMW-...R/291039518924

No need spacers for the ride height look, but the 20/25mm combo gives it a much nicer flush fitment, and given the unexpected ride and handling improvements and for the cost, I would recommend. I went with Blox spacers/bolt combo from ebay since they are forged and cnc machined, and come with high grade bolts. They are hub centric and very balanced. No vibration thus far up to 150kph

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15mm-20mm-H...72.m2749.l2649

I tinted rears for looks, but doing a lot of country driving at night didn't want to reduce headlight output up front. the chrome has been making me crazy however, thus I added the carbon eyebrows to hide that a bit and give it a meaner look.

HMU for more questions.
Appreciate 3
jab23222.00
      03-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #30
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I have two sets of lowering links in the garage if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #31
Blue By You
Major
Rep

I'm so confused...

Quote:
Yes, you need to buy the f15 kit with 4 springs, and then get adjustable links separately. In Europe they have a 2 spring kit for air suspension models, but proved difficult to get to Canada in a timely manner. These are the spring kit:

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...odClar=M+Sport

here are the links:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-BMW-...R/291039518924

No need spacers for the ride height look, but the 20/25mm combo gives it a much nicer flush fitment, and given the unexpected ride and handling improvements and for the cost, I would recommend. I went with Blox spacers/bolt combo from ebay since they are forged and cnc machined, and come with high grade bolts. They are hub centric and very balanced. No vibration thus far up to 150kph

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15mm-20mm-H...72.m2749.l2649

I tinted rears for looks, but doing a lot of country driving at night didn't want to reduce headlight output up front. the chrome has been making me crazy however, thus I added the carbon eyebrows to hide that a bit and give it a meaner look.

HMU for more questions.
I think I need an education on this suspension, among other things!

Why the F15 kit and not the X5M (F85?) kit? This one is one digit off in part number from the one you posted: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...00320222_Qty=1

I need someone to run me through all of the options, this is getting confusing...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #32
Blue By You
Major
Rep

What brand are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
I have two sets of lowering links in the garage if anyone is interested.
Does it matter?

Per my reply to the other post, I'm confused about what to do. Too many options and opinions out there, which is why I froze and never got my H&R Sport Springs installed a couple of weeks ago...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:52 PM   #33
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think I need an education on this suspension, among other things!

Why the F15 kit and not the X5M (F85?) kit? This one is one digit off in part number from the one you posted: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...00320222_Qty=1

I need someone to run me through all of the options, this is getting confusing...
Sorry, you are correct I have the 02-22 part number didn't double check my google, but looked at my order and it was the 10 20 032 02 22 part number. As for link you can use any adjustable links you like. Makes no difference. As for your choice, universally H&R have know harsh ride quality. That's why I went eibach. I didn't want to go too low, and the ride quality was said to be great. I also didn't want to lose edc on suspension, so was not interested in kw. With spacers it's better than stock both ride quality and handling. I recommend the setup. Your call what you do with the Info., but you're probably over thinking it. Won't be happy till your try for yourself.
Appreciate 2
GotV8?1048.50
      03-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #34
Blue By You
Major
Rep

This is great

Quote:
Sorry, you are correct I have the 02-22 part number didn't double check my google, but looked at my order and it was the 10 20 032 02 22 part number. As for link you can use any adjustable links you like. Makes no difference. As for your choice, universally H&R have know harsh ride quality. That's why I went eibach. I didn't want to go too low, and the ride quality was said to be great. I also didn't want to lose edc on suspension, so was not interested in kw. With spacers it's better than stock both ride quality and handling. I recommend the setup. Your call what you do with the Info., but you're probably over thinking it. Won't be happy till your try for yourself.
Absolutely overthinking it!

If you knew what I had to go through just to buy this car and get the dealer to honor the most basic of things...

Now I'm about to get a remote start, exhaust tips installed, then it goes to the body shop to fix the sandblasting issue, powder coating the wheels, adding interior and exterior accessories, PPF, ceramic, etc.

So yeah, the suspension wasn't even on my radar and I rushed into it. Was going to get the H&R VTFs but people waved me off of those. Then the H&R Sport Springs and people waved me off of those. Half of the people like the VTF, half don't. Nobody seems to be specific enough with their info, it's a litte mind-boggling so bear with me!

You've been very helpful. Seems like it's a great setup that might work for me. Because I have all the same goals you do: lower it just enough, maintain/improve ride and/or handling, keep the EDC, etc.

I might have more questions but this is very helpful. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #35
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Does it matter?
It matters if someone on here would like to purchase a set for huge discount. I have no use for them as they were on two X5M I no longer own. If anyone is interested please DM and they're yours.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #36
spacejamm_x5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16’ X5M

HR VTF springs. shaved down read bump stops
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #37
TZB///3
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
I'll check tom. To the peeps saying it bounces or is too harsh it's bc they set the rear too low. The VTFs are absolutely fine. No issues for myself, zero bounce. Installing things yourself gives you the opportunity to fine tune the rear until the ride is to your liking. My X5M with the VTFs rides way less harsh than my brothers stock M5.

I like your stance StatenEye. I have a couple of questions - 1) How do you adjust the rear links? Whether it's the regular sport springs or the Vtf I heard you need to adjust the rear links to your liking. I didn't even know you can do that. And 2) if I intend to do a lot of long driving with a full load (2/3 passengers in the back with luggages), do you think I should just keep it stock or does it matter since it's self leveling. I'm torn because stance matters to me (prefer lowered) but I also don't want to "hurt" the parts of my baby (not to mention my warranty).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #38
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFF_X5M View Post
Interesting that other threads suggest people are happy with their spring set-up but this thread is very firm on KW's are literally the only option for the X5M.

Are springs a problem only when going with an aggressive very low stance or are all springs just THAT bad? I was considering the Dinan springs but I can't find much info on them other than on Dinan's website.
People set the rears to low and ride on the bump stops. You can shave the stops, buy different ones or just raise the rear until it doesn't sit on the stops.
Appreciate 1
KFF_X5M44.00
      03-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #39
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

The bump stops I purchased were with the DINAN kit but they are just M5 bump stops that are shorter. From what I was told cutting the bump stop makes it more harsh than leaving the stock ones in because you're hitting it dead center versus where it was designed to take the impact if and when it does bottom out.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #40
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Absolutely

Quote:
It matters if someone on here would like to purchase a set for huge discount. I have no use for them as they were on two X5M I no longer own. If anyone is interested please DM and they're yours.
I was asking what brand and if the brand mattered...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #41
Blue By You
Major
Rep

Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamm_x5m View Post
Seriously? That's great. That's a sick rig!

How does the ride compare with stock in each of the three settings? Can you even use comfort mode, does it even make sense now? I'm in MA so I'm a little concerned about banging up wheels.

I'm on OEM 21" 612s and might stick with them. Might put on a set of 22" at some point, haven't decided yet. So it's a matter of drop and what kind of spacers to use if any.

If you have any specific details you can PM me, please send them over. I could use actual settings/heights. Spacer sizes. How much you shaved the bump stops, things like that.

Thanks

Last edited by Blue By You; 03-02-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #42
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I was asking what brand and if the brand mattered...
Oh, my apologies. I misunderstood. Both are from Dinan Kit and I may have a metal set purchased through RG Sport from an F15 50i I owned a while back.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #43
Blue By You
Major
Rep

No sweat!

Quote:
Oh, my apologies. I misunderstood. Both are from Dinan Kit and I may have a metal set purchased through RG Sport from an F15 50i I owned a while back.
Sent you a PM.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #44
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejamm_x5m View Post