BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2021, 12:12 PM   #1
Kris Heiselberg
Greenland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive40e

Need help from the community here

Hello everyone

I live in Greenland and bought a 2016 BMW X5 40e from a BMW dealer in Illinios in november 2020, got the car exported to Greenland and have been driving it for the last three months.

I have only had small hiccups with the car so far, but today the hybrid system acted up and it went from electric power to ICE power and the engine started misfiring. Threw an Check engine code thereafter.

I've been using Bimmercode and Bimmerlink since i got the car, so I hooked up the obd adapter and scanned for codes. Got this out of the memory error section:

Error memory
Date: 20/03/2021, 13.13
VIN: 5UXKT0C53G0F74773

07 Accumulator-management electronics
4 errors
21F1F7: Activation prevented - overheating protection
21F156: Preload - Sbox preload condition not met
21F21C: HVS: SBOX - communication error
21F257: HVS: Increased charge loss in the cell

12 Motor electronics
10 errors
138102: Exhaust flap, control: short circuit to ground
21A515: Start system, toothed belt starter: timeout
118002: Mixture control: Mixture too rich
218202: Battery charger for start-up, current sensor, plausibility: current implausible
140010: Misfire, multiple cylinders: detected
140310: Misfire, cylinder 3: detected
140210: Misfire, cylinder 2: detected
140002: Misfiring, multiple cylinders: harmful to exhaust gas after starting
140302: Misfire, cylinder 3: harmful to exhaust gas after starting
140202: Misfiring, cylinder 2: harmful to exhaust gas after starting

3A Electrical machine electronics 2
2 errors
2228C8: Additional unit - additional battery - additional battery aged
2228FE: FIS_HVPM_CCM 880 (heating and cooling not possible while stationary)

56 Roof function centre
1 error
801A55: Theft alarm system: Alarm - details in the alarm memory

A couple of things I recognize and one thing I can explain.
The exhaust flap code, is because I've pulled the fuse for the exhaust flap, to have both exhaust pipes open all the time.

At on point, my wife got home from work and plugged in the car to charge and the main fuse in our apartment got triggered and cut all the power in the apartment. After that, I switched the charge settings in the car to reduced charge power.

And had the car washed last week, but we have -5 to -10 degrees celsius since its winter, but the car ended being washed twice. First time it wasn't done properly, but the car sat outside in freezing temperatures until we picked it up and then got washed again the following day. A couple of days later, we had water pour in through the buttons in the roof function centre. Probably from the sunroof drain plugs being frozen and the water in the sunroof channel got thawed up from the drive. Thinking something may be shorted in that area, as long as there is some water in it.

But i need help from this community, as there are no BMW dealerships here in the city I live in, nevertheless the entire country. So I'm on my own here, at least for the diagnosing part.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on with the car? I've downloaded the error report from Bimmerlink and cleared all the codes, car runs fine right now. But I'm expecting the problems to return at some point.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #2
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Permanent error memory should be the one to look at in Bimmerlink. The list you posted is not relevant for now, it contains all sorts of errors which are not active anymore.

For more thorough diagnosis use ISTA.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I guess since your cleared all codes, wait to see what pops up next.
And check your roof drains to see if they may be plugged by dirt as well. There is a thread on here about that.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 05:49 PM   #4
BMW X5 40e Norway
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 40e

BMW x5 40e High voltage battery problem

Hi Kris

I also have the same car (produced late 2015) imported used from the US. BMW had to replace a broken cell module (1) under warranty in my car. Here is the story:
My car also started to behave strange. Battery related messages came on the dashbord display: Drivetrain: vehicle cannot be restarted and the car went into limp mode. Further inspection with Bimmerlink showed lots of messages: The errors became more and more frequent over several months before I decided to deliver the car to BMW - BMW then used 8 weeks to fix the car..they had no spare battery modules.

Error messages:
Battery Management Electronics
4 errors
21F257: HVS: INCREASED CHARGE LOSS IN THE CELL
21F2B0: HVS: INCREASED CHARGE LOSS IN CELL MODULE 1
21F1F6: DEACTIVATION OF THE MAIN SWITCH AFTER AN ERROR
21F122: CELL VOLTAGE - TOLERANCE EXCEEDED UPPER VOLTAGE LIMIT IN MODULE 1
Digital Motor Electronics
5 errors
21A11A: EMERGENCY RUN MANAGER: REQUEST FOR DEACTIVATION OF MSA WITH COMBUSTION ENGINE, SWITCH-ON REQUEST FROM ELECTRICAL MACHINE CONTROL UNIT
21A111: ENGINE SPEED LIMITATION, LEVEL 1: AS A RESULT OF THE EMERGENCY RUNNING REQUEST FROM THE ELECTRIC MACHINE EMERGENCY RUNNING MANAGER CONTROL UNIT
21A003: EMERGENCY RUN MANAGER: REQUEST FOR COMBUSTION ENGINE TORQUE REDUCTION STAGE 1 FROM THE ELECTRIC MACHINE CONTROL UNIT
235410: EMERGENCY RUN MANAGER: REQUEST TO INCREASE IDLE SPEED FROM THE ELECTRIC MACHINE CONTROL UNIT
100001: THROTTLE VALVE, FUNCTION: STUCK BRIEFLY

Integrated Chassis Management
3 errors
48002E: LDM FUNCTION - HIGH-LEVEL OPERATIONAL READINESS ENGINE CONTROL UNIT
48002C: LDM FUNCTION - HIGH-LEVEL OPERATIONAL READINESS BRAKE CONTROL UNIT
D02D58: SIGNAL ERROR (WHEEL TORQUE DRIVE 1, ID: WMOM_DRV_1) - QUALIFIER
Dynamic Stability Control
1 error
D35552: SIGNAL ERROR (WHEEL TORQUE DRIVE 1, ID: WMOM_DRV_1) - INVALID
Electrical Machine Electronics
12 errors
222846: F_M_BMW_LADEN_STOERUNG_FAULTTYPE -> CHARGING MANAGEMENT: CHARGING DISRUPTION
222834: F_M_BMW_CCM804_FAULTTYPE -> CHECKCONTROL 804: LOADING NOT POSSIBLE
222805: SHUTTING DOWN THE CHARGING HARDWARE (E.G. DUE TO NETWORK DISTURBANCES)
222833: F_M_BMW_CCM803_FAULTTYPE -> CHECKCONTROL 803: NETWORK POWER TOO LOW
222842: F_M_BMW_LADEN_LADEFEHLER_FAULTTYPE -> CHARGE MANAGEMENT: CHARGE ERROR
22285F: EMERGENCY RUN MANAGER SUBSEQUENT FAULT HV BATTERY REPORTS SLOW OPENING OF THE CONTACTORS FIS_BMW_SME_KAT6

22292F: EMERGENCY RUN MANAGER: FOLLOW-UP ERROR, HV BATTERY REPORTS CATEGORY 1 ERROR; FIS_BMW_SME_KAT1
222815: F_M_BMW_HVOFF_FAIL_FAULTTYPE -> HV INTERMEDIATE CIRCUIT DISCHARGE: HV INTERMEDIATE CIRCUIT NOT VOLTAGE-FREE DESPITE REQUEST
22281C: HV POWER MANAGEMENT: NO HV RELEASE DESPITE REQUIREMENT 222750: DME, FUSI: SAFE STATE REQUEST FROM DME FUSI
222626: HW-AKS ACTIVE, REQUESTED BY FUSI, BTS OR HARDWARE CIRCUIT
222884: EMERGENCY RUN MANAGER FOLLOW-UP ERROR COMPONENT REPORTS ERROR REQUEST FROM DME: REDUCE THE OUTPUT OF THE ELECTRIC REFRIGERANT

When these battery errors occurred during driving you could feel a kind of shockwave in the engine/gear system and all the battery error messages was often followed by a lot of misfiring messages on all cylinders, so the battery trouble clearly inpacted the gasoline engine: lots of error messages: all about misfire:

Digital Motor Electronics
15 errors
140010: COMBUSTION MISFIRE, MULTIPLE CYLINDERS: DETECTED 140110: COMBUSTION MISFIRE, CYLINDER 1: DETECTED
140410: COMBUSTION MISFIRE, CYLINDER 4: DETECTED
140210: MISFIRING, CYLINDER 2: DETECTED
140002: COMBUSTION MISFIRE, SEVERAL CYLINDERS: EXHAUST GAS DAMAGING AFTER STARTING PROCESS
140102: MISFIRING, CYLINDER 1: HARMFUL TO THE EXHAUST AFTER STARTING 140402: MISFIRING, CYLINDER 4: DAMAGING TO EXHAUST AFTER STARTING PROCESS 140202: MISFIRING, CYLINDER 2: HARMFUL AFTER START-UP
21A11A: EMERGENCY RUNNING MANAGER: REQUIREMENT DEACTIVATION MSA WITH INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE EINSCHALTAUFFORDERER OF CONTROL UNIT ELECTRIC MACHINE

21A111: ENGINE SPEED LIMIT, LEVEL 1: DUE TO EMERGENCY RUN REQUEST FROM THE ELECTRIC MACHINE EMERGENCY CONTROL MANAGER
21A003: EMERGENCY RUNNING MANAGER: REQUEST INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE TORQUE REDUCTION STAGE 1 OF CONTROL UNIT ELECTRIC MACHINE
235410: RUN-FLAT MANAGER: IDLE SPEED INCREASE REQUEST FROM ECU ELECTRIC MACHINE
213401: POWER MANAGEMENT: CENTRAL UNDERVOLTAGE
1F1B55: POWER MANAGEMENT: BATTERY UNDERVOLTAGE WHILE DRIVING 213901: POWER MANAGEMENT: CONSUMER REDUCTION ACTIVE.

I did search Internet for all these messages but there was very little information. To fix the x5 40e, the High Voltage battery had to come out the rear hatch. They removed some parts of the rear interior and disconnected the aircondition system that cool the battery. Then they uesed a lift to get the battery out. My battery had one bad cell module, so the messages on the bimmercode was pretty accurate.
Your messages also indicate that something is brewing and that you should contact BMW to check the battery and the warranty.(this is not a cheap job - they told me this is 2-3 full days of work and testing)

So I got my car back in March and now two months later I discovered some new battery related messages inBimmerlink:
Accumulator-management electronics
3 errors
21F1F7: Activation prevented - overheating protection
21F156: Preload - Sbox preload condition not met
21F21C: HVS: SBOX - communication error
I do not know what they exactly mean, I searched Internet and did find your request for help, so I wanted to tell you about my X5 40e story..
Appreciate 0