03-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #1
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
17 X5 Build Thread: The Dog Car

Are build threads even a thing nowadays? Anyways, to keep in true form, I'm going to document the steps along the way. My new-to-me 2017 X5 was purchased on December 16, 2020 from CarMax in Kansas City, MO. I call it the Dog Car because my fiancé and I adopted a Mini Goldendoodle puppy three days after buying this and I went from a stanced VW GLI to this partially because of the dog lol.

Car had 20,205 miles on it and was a one-owner car from New York. Funny enough, it was actually at CarMax in Dulles, VA over Thanksgiving and I just happened to go look at it while I was visiting my folks.

Anyways, mods started shortly thereafter. List of what's been completed to date is down below along with some photos

Vehicle:
2017 X5 XDrive35i
Build date - 8/17/17
Sophisto Grey
X-Line
HK Audio

Mods Completed to Date:

Engine:
- AFE Pro Dry S Drop-in Air Filter
- Dorch Engineering Stage 1 HPFP
- VRSF Downpipe
- VRSF FMIC
- FTP Turbo to IC Pipe
- Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe
- Vibrant 10632 StreetPower Oval Muffer
- Zeitronix ECA CANBUS Ethanol Analyzer Kit w/ FlexFuel Sensor and Gauge
- MHD Custom Flexfuel Tune
- Turner Motorsports F10 N55 Carbon Intake Pipe
- FTP F10 N55 Turbo Inlet

Cosmetic:
- Red Start Button from Mod Bargains
- PedalHaus Pedals and Heel Plate
- Wide Fender Flares w/ H&R 15mm/20mm spacers
- RGSport Painted Front and Rear Reflectors
- OEM Roof Bars
- INNO Wedge 660 Roof Box (Not Pictured)
- OEM Style 451 Wheels and Tires (refinished)
- Chrome Delete with Gloss Black Vinyl
- M Performance Front Kidney Grilles
- Matte Black Vinyl Striping

Interior:
- CobyWheel Two-Tone Steering Whee
- SAT Shift Lever
- GoldenWrench Billet Aluminum Shift Paddles
- OEM F85 Carbon Fiber Dash Trim
- M-Performance Carbon Steering Wheel Trim
- AEM Digital Boost Gauge
- Uniden R7 + BlendMount

Tech:
- BimmerCode coding (mirrors, windows/sunroof, rear fog, ambient lighting, SAT, warnings, tailgate)
- CarPlay Activation via ConnectedDrive
- Full Screen CarPlay activation from Bimmer Remote

Car currently has 244xx miles on it and has undergone two oil changes, wipers, and cabin filters so far for maintenance under my ownership. More to come at 30k.

Current State:

Progress Photos:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5ce1d64b_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6864ab1b_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...58f3d76d_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a14b7f95_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7330f26b_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...abe6b1f4_b.jpg[/img]
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |

Last edited by sukhk527; 01-30-2023 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 12
      03-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Looking good - we need more build threads!

The chrome delete makes a huge improvement IMO.

What's next? The options are endless
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272159.00
      03-30-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Two build threads in one day? Best day ever. Haha.

Looking good. Great pictures. 2nd on the chrome delete.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Looking good - we need more build threads!

The chrome delete makes a huge improvement IMO.

What's next? The options are endless
I actually just got an M Sport steering wheel delivered. On the hunt for an airbag now.

Also expecting a Racechip RS module in the next day or two. We tried to flash my car BM3 Stage 1 but it turns out it had a software update at some point and the DME needs a bench unlock. I just couldn't deal with being down a car for a few days at the moment so Racechip it is.
Attached Images

2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Our X's are twins. Sophisto Gray X lines. We both went 20's pretty quickly as well. I recommend the Ebay ABS fender flares. Cheap and fit 95% of factory. Very hard to tell unless you are an enthusiast up close they aren't OE. Yours is younger, cleaner, and lower mileage. Makes me a little envious. Ours gets better gas mileage though.

Funny I was just looking up upgraded steering wheels too. We had a loaner m sport 5 series while the dealer was doing our injectors and the wheel felt soooo good. I think I am going to invest in a nice leather wrap for ours. I'd like to switch to M sport, but with this diesel I'm trying to avoid m sport touches for fear of scope creep leading to full on conversion. Don't want to do that on this one. lol
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Our X's are twins. Sophisto Gray X lines. We both went 20's pretty quickly as well. I recommend the Ebay ABS fender flares. Cheap and fit 95% of factory. Very hard to tell unless you are an enthusiast up close they aren't OE. Yours is younger, cleaner, and lower mileage. Makes me a little envious. Ours gets better gas mileage though.

Funny I was just looking up upgraded steering wheels too. We had a loaner m sport 5 series while the dealer was doing our injectors and the wheel felt soooo good. I think I am going to invest in a nice leather wrap for ours. I'd like to switch to M sport, but with this diesel I'm trying to avoid m sport touches for fear of scope creep leading to full on conversion. Don't want to do that on this one. lol
The project manager in me loves your use of scope creep lol. Twinsies indeed! And good to know on the eBay flares, did you buy oem replacement rivets I assume?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:50 AM   #7
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhk527 View Post
The project manager in me loves your use of scope creep lol. Twinsies indeed! And good to know on the eBay flares, did you buy oem replacement rivets I assume?
I did not. Because I have so many bimmers here that require those rivets (E53, E70, F15) I have different varieties of them. The ones they came with are sufficient, not great. OE is best obviously, but expensive by comparison. I bought a large pack of Chinese copies on Amazon that I use most often.
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272159.00
      03-31-2021, 01:23 PM   #8
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

can you provide more detail on the chrome delete, did you wrap or buy new parts?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beattiecj View Post
can you provide more detail on the chrome delete, did you wrap or buy new parts?
It's actually gloss black vinyl wrap on the window trim, front and rear bumper trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
Quote:
I did not. Because I have so many bimmers here that require those rivets (E53, E70, F15) I have different varieties of them. The ones they came with are sufficient, not great. OE is best obviously, but expensive by comparison. I bought a large pack of Chinese copies on Amazon that I use most often.
Noted, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:24 PM   #10
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well this just arrived. Going to try and install later tonight and will report back once I get some seat time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12915.50
      04-01-2021, 07:29 AM   #11
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Feedback on Racechip RS so far: currently been letting the car adapt on setting 4 out of 6. Can definitely tell it's there, but I only put about 20 miles on it so I imagine it needs to adapt some more.

Install was super easy, took longer to get the factory plugs out and find a mounting location for the box than to get everything hooked up.

Going to get some more seat time today and adjust to setting 5.

Overall VERY happy with the result. Shoutout to r33_RGSport for the fast shipping and help!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12915.50
      04-01-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Feedback on Racechip RS so far: currently been letting the car adapt on setting 4 out of 6. Can definitely tell it's there, but I only put about 20 miles on it so I imagine it needs to adapt some more.

Install was super easy, took longer to get the factory plugs out and find a mounting location for the box than to get everything hooked up.

Going to get some more seat time today and adjust to setting 5.

Overall VERY happy with the result. Shoutout to r33_RGSport for the fast shipping and help!
Appreciate the kind words.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
sukhk5272159.00
      04-01-2021, 09:30 AM   #13
BMWofVS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
Did you diy the charge pipe or is that someone at the shop installing?

Edit: curious on the diy level of effort replace or how much shop charges.

Last edited by BMWofVS; 04-01-2021 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #14
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWofVS View Post
Did you diy the charge pipe or is that someone at the shop installing?

Edit: curious on the diy level of effort replace or how much shop charges.
I had the shop do it while it was in there, but having seen it and with little mechanical know how, I'd be more than comfortable doing it. They only charged me an hour of labor.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #15
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
Are build threads even a thing nowadays? Anyways, to keep in true form, I'm going to document the steps along the way. My new-to-me 2017 X5 was purchased on December 16, 2020 from CarMax in Kansas City, MO. I call it the Dog Car because my fiancé and I adopted a Mini Goldendoodle puppy three days after buying this and I went from a stanced VW GLI to this partially because of the dog lol.

Car had 20,205 miles on it and was a one-owner car from New York. Funny enough, it was actually at CarMax in Dulles, VA over Thanksgiving and I just happened to go look at it while I was visiting my folks.

Anyways, mods started shortly thereafter. List of what's been completed to date is down below along with some photos

Vehicle:
2017 X5 XDrive35i
Build date - 8/17/17
Sophisto Grey
X-Line
HK Audio

Mods Completed to Date:
- BimmerCode coding (mirrors, windows/sunroof, rear fog, ambient lighting, SAT, warnings, tailgate)
- Red Start Button from Mod Bargains
- M Sport replica pedals from Amazon (don't judge me)
- CarPlay Activation via ConnectedDrive
- Full Screen CarPlay activation from Bimmer Remote
- AFE Stage 2 Intake System with Dry Filter
- Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe
- Vibrant 10632 StreetPower Oval Muffer
- OEM Style 451 Wheels and Tires
- Chrome Delete with Gloss Black Vinyl
- M Performance Front Kidney Grilles

Car currently has 244xx miles on it and has undergone two oil changes, wipers, and cabin filters so far for maintenance under my ownership. More to come at 30k.

Current State:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...ef20437c_b.jpg[/img]

Progress Photos:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...78833a3d_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...5ce1d64b_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...6864ab1b_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7c36ef90_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...58f3d76d_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a14b7f95_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7330f26b_b.jpg[/img]

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...abe6b1f4_b.jpg[/img]
Best thread ever and just in time as I just bought out my car from a 3 year lease (exactly the same as yours).
And now, since I officially own it, i can start the mod process.
QQ: When you installed the "Vibrant 10632 StreetPower Oval Muffer", did you get a better sound from the exhaust? Thats one thing im looking to do, but don't want to spent too much on full exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #16
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik82 View Post
Best thread ever and just in time as I just bought out my car from a 3 year lease (exactly the same as yours).
And now, since I officially own it, i can start the mod process.
QQ: When you installed the "Vibrant 10632 StreetPower Oval Muffer", did you get a better sound from the exhaust? Thats one thing im looking to do, but don't want to spent too much on full exhaust system.
I did get a better sound! It's not terribly loud but you can definitely tell somethings on there. I've got a cold start clip I'll add here.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #17
alik82
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
I did get a better sound! It's not terribly loud but you can definitely tell somethings on there. I've got a cold start clip I'll add here.
Thank you for the update.
Also, how is the Race Chip working out?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #18
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik82 View Post
Thank you for the update.
Also, how is the Race Chip working out?
Good! I went for some more seat time with it today and it's definitely adapted some more. Hard to keep my foot out of it now lol. Butt dyno estimates it feels around a 40ft-lb of torque increase through the rev range. I'll be able to get it on a dyno towards the end of June so I'll report back with official numbers then.

also, exhaust video.

Appreciate 4
      04-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Well this just arrived. Going to try and install later tonight and will report back once I get some seat time.
You should have bought my RC GTS Black w/ app control. I just listed it for sale today at a nice discount. I'm glad you started this build thread. Not a lot of us x-liners that heavy mod. That chrome delete does look good!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:48 AM   #20
napeHbNYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e60 550i RWD 6MT

Looks great so far!! What did you do with the lower bumper trim that was silver?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #21
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
You should have bought my RC GTS Black w/ app control. I just listed it for sale today at a nice discount. I'm glad you started this build thread. Not a lot of us x-liners that heavy mod. That chrome delete does look good!
Man I wish I had known! I did make sure to get App Control with mine which is neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napeHbNYC View Post
Looks great so far!! What did you do with the lower bumper trim that was silver?
Thanks! Lower bumper trim is also wrapped in gloss black vinyl.
Appreciate 1
Aries326195.00
      04-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #22
phipark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92 Montego Blue

any issues with the AFE intake throwing a CEL?
Appreciate 0