Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 X35i

Intro-New (used) X5

Hey all,

Long time lurker, new to the X5 but not BMWs. In the past I've owned:

-E36 328IS with S52 swap
-E36 M3
-E46 330i ZHP

Recently picked up a 2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i w/ 65k from a local dealership. It was an imported Canadian X5 but as far as I can tell there is minimal differences between the US/CAN version, unless I'm mistaken?

My X5 was optioned with the M Sport package including M leather steering wheel and aero package, with staggered 20" M Sport wheels.

I've done a bit of reading on here, and am basically looking for DIY maintenance tips/suggestions. I've always done my own work on my vehicles unless it's warranty related.

This is the wife's daily, so 90% is short 5-10 mile trips. On occasion we do take it on long road trips so I want to ensure it's up to the task for 1,000+ mile trips.

The X5 currently has ~70k on it, and I'm looking to replace the spark plugs. From what I read, the Bosch ZR5TPP33 are the OE recommended plugs, correct? I price checked my local dealer (who were way higher than ECS & FCPEuro) and they recommended replacing the coils as well? Is this normal?

On cold starts, I do notice a low idle which goes away when I give it a quick rev. Other than that no other noticeable misfires.

Second Issue:

I'm assuming our X5 is on the original pads/rotors. On a spirited drive with heavy braking, I do get some vibration as the rotors heat up, and the brake pedal travel is longer than I'd prefer.

As such, I'm planning to replace all four corners pads/discs. Does everyone recommend staying OEM/OE? ECS has a good deal on Powerstop Rotors/pads. They claim OE style, and I've never had issues with ECS orders in the past. Or should I stick with BMW OEM/Zimmerman rotors?

My braking goals are: Stock-ish performance, with rust prevention and rotors that won't warp easily when hot.

To sum up: I've been out of the BMW game for a few years. Is FCP Euro and ECS still the go to online parts stores for our BMWs?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

FCP and RockAuto for me. Some people hate ECS with slow shipping.

With low distance driving and the presumed MFG date of 2014 for your x 2 batteries, a trickle charger would be a good idea. The smart battery charging in the F15 is not always giving voltage to charge up the batteries.

I'd go Zimmerman/Akebono, save some $ and lower dust than OEM.

CAN to USA... you probably have Xenon Fog/Driving lights instead of the LED option.

Welcome to the club.
I'd do plugs / coils. Two sets of plugs for one set of coils.
T-Case + Front and Rear Diff.
Transmission pan / fluid change.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
M3HNGRY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 AW X5 35d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post

With low distance driving and the presumed MFG date of 2014 for your x 2 batteries, a trickle charger would be a good idea. The smart battery charging in the F15 is not always giving voltage to charge up the batteries.

CAN to USA... you probably have Xenon Fog/Driving lights instead of the LED option.

Welcome to the club.
Do you know why CAN version get Xenon Fog/Headlights instead of LED?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
scotty339
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3HNGRY View Post
Dunno. I know the front bumper mounts are different than the US bumper. So if you need to replace your housing keep that in mind.

Have not heard or seen of many other differences.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

If you are planning to replace the brakes, I suggest to also replace brake fluid and brakes lines with aftermarket stainless steel reinforced lines.

Nice car!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:24 PM   #6
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Congrats. Recently bought rear rotors and pads kit from FCP, barely $200. I think the stock Canadian fogs are halogen, not Xenon. There are aftermarket LED conversion kits.

Might want to change the transfer case fluid. We were having issues, feels like power loss while turning. My indie flushed it twice and symptoms gone. Said the transfer case isn't robust and something about the larger M tires in front add to the strain. There are some threads about this.

Plugs and transmission fluid on my list for this year or next spring. Miles aren't going up fast work from home.
      05-13-2021, 06:53 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Looks like the car washes are using more acidic cleaners wherever it was washed.

The shadow line trim will need to be polished.

Not to much as you will wear through the black coating.

Then after their all shined up throw a little ceramic coating on it to protect it from further tarnish or oxidation.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #8
snowracer21
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 X35i

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty339 View Post

Welcome to the club.
When I start the vehicle, I get an error message stating something about comfort ventilation is disabled, drive the vehicle to charge the battery. Would this imply needing to replace the batteries?

Thanks for the service info, making an order from FCPEuro shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3HNGRY View Post
My X5 has halogen fog lights, and xenon adaptive headlights. Also, the Canadian version appears to not be equipped with adaptive cruise control and speed limit reading camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Congrats. Recently bought rear rotors and pads kit from FCP, barely $200. I think the stock Canadian fogs are halogen, not Xenon. There are aftermarket LED conversion kits.

Might want to change the transfer case fluid. We were having issues, feels like power loss while turning. My indie flushed it twice and symptoms gone. Said the transfer case isn't robust and something about the larger M tires in front add to the strain. There are some threads about this.

Plugs and transmission fluid on my list for this year or next spring. Miles aren't going up fast work from home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Looks like the car washes are using more acidic cleaners wherever it was washed.

The shadow line trim will need to be polished.

Not to much as you will wear through the black coating.

Then after their all shined up throw a little ceramic coating on it to protect it from further tarnish or oxidation.
The pic I posted was the day I purchased it, I've since polished the trim and it looks much better!
Appreciate 0