BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Has anyone else experienced this ?

I have a very weird oscillating or throbbing drone or vibration. It's very slight but is diving me crazy. My wife didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.
It's definitely RPM related as opposed to speed related. That rules out tires or driveline.
At cruise or light to medium throttle, I experience this weird drone or vibration. It's sort of betweem 1700 and 2700 RPM. It's not static though. As I said it's more of an oscillating or throbbing type of thing. If I accellerate quickly through this zone, it's perfectly smooth.
I've tried with or without resonators, with or without an X Pipe, with stock mufflers and with modified mufflers, with stock down pipes and with non catted down pipes. It's definitely different with the various exhaust configurations but it never goes away.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? And, more importantly figured out what it is.
Being the automotive engineer kind of guy, stuff like this drives me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #2
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Never noticed anything like this but I'm going to hop in my ride shortly so I'll pay extra close attention and let you know if I hear anything.
      01-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Never noticed anything like this but I'm going to hop in my ride shortly so I'll pay extra close attention and let you know if I hear anything.
Thanks. Now if you do notice something you'll be pissed at me for pointing it out.
It's subtle but noticeable in mine.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

I'll bring it up anyway.... are you absolutely sure it's not wheel/alignment related? Checked wheel nut torque? Last time for an alignment?

I've had slightly similar issues that were resolved by retightening nuts. Mine happened more speed related (65-85 mpg), but you mentioned it happened under cruise.

Have you checked your exhaust hangers?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #5
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
I'll bring it up anyway.... are you absolutely sure it's not wheel/alignment related? Checked wheel nut torque? Last time for an alignment?

I've had slightly similar issues that were resolved by retightening nuts. Mine happened more speed related (65-85 mpg), but you mentioned it happened under cruise.

Have you checked your exhaust hangers?
It's RPM related. It will do it in 2nd gear at the same RPM just like in 6th gear. Speed seems to have no bearing on it.
I've had the exhaust completely out of the car a few times. We've swapped out downpipes twice, removed and reinstalled the resonators, added an X Pipe and tried two sets of mufflers.
It does seem to change somewhat when you do all this, but it's still there.
If you accellerate through this zone quickly, you don't hear it.
If you accellerate through it very slowly, or hold it in this range, it's noticeable.
It's definitely a strange one.
Appreciate 0