Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlooker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlooker View Post
I have to get a hitch as well. I have a 2018 X6; thought I'd head up to BMW to ask a few warranty questions since the truck is under a year old. Apparently BMW won't install outside parts (knew that already), and of anything goes quirky with the lights or anything electrical from the install of the commercial wiring harness, the warranty stands risk of being voided because it was modified from an outside source. So a towing hitch/wiring harness package that was for $262 has risen to over 1K
Uhaul was telling me they use quick connect. No cutting of wires etc. and it won't void bmw warranty. Makes it more interesting.
Can't, service made it clear they won't service my vehicle in the future under warranty for any electrical issues should they arise. I definitely don't want to play around with that.
Consumers of aftermarket products are protected by the Federal Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. The Act states that if something breaks on your vehicle and you take it in for warranty repair, the dealer must honor your warranty unless whatever modifications you have added to your vehicle actually caused the prob­lem in question.

The question is can it be actually proven it's from the quick connect if issues do arise. Same as I think if you put a sub in and use the hardness and no splice wires it should not affect it. But who knows!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #24
campo21
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f15 m sport

How do you know if you have the "tow preparation" package? Did uhaul put a wiring harness or tow activation button in or is the harness just always hot? I have a 2014 x5 m sport so im not really worried about warranty. Also, what do you have to code? Is it in bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #25
Alos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by campo21 View Post
How do you know if you have the "tow preparation" package? Did uhaul put a wiring harness or tow activation button in or is the harness just always hot? I have a 2014 x5 m sport so im not really worried about warranty. Also, what do you have to code? Is it in bimmercode?
I think it's just always hot but don't quote me on that and if you go with the zero connect interface harness you should be good from what I read.
-correction how when the car is on
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:52 PM   #26
goldnupe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I'm shopping around now for a hitch for my '21 X5. I called UHaul. The price is pretty much the same, but was unsure of the quality of the work. Nice job on yours. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0