BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Hook3m1rish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G37s

Steering Wheel and Rim Question

I am going to look at X5's this weekend and had two questions. What combinations lead to the different steering wheels?

Second, is the price to upgrade rims on the "build your own" section of the BMW website what a dealer will charge to swap out rims? The reason I ask is because I am looking at a particular X5, but I want 20 inch rims and was going to see if the swap out price was less than that listed on the website. Is this something that is negotiable?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook3m1rish View Post
I am going to look at X5's this weekend and had two questions. What combinations lead to the different steering wheels?

Second, is the price to upgrade rims on the "build your own" section of the BMW website what a dealer will charge to swap out rims? The reason I ask is because I am looking at a particular X5, but I want 20 inch rims and was going to see if the swap out price was less than that listed on the website. Is this something that is negotiable?
The second steering wheel is no longer made. They discontinued that crappy wheel for 2015. I guess they finally realized how ugly it was for the premium interior of the F15. Now all F15 X5s in the US (and most of the world to my knowledge) have the Sport Steering Wheel (your first pic).

You can definitely negotiate better with a dealer than buying them directly online. Do what you can, and I'm sure you will get a good deal.
      11-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

You used to get crappy wheel with regular (no-line) and Luxury line if I believe, but X-Line added sport wheel, which is now standard. I love the new steering wheel, it has a nice contour for thumbs but it is still way too smooth for my taste, I find myself rubbing it to get it worn faster, it doesn't seem to help. I hope it will break in after couple of thousand miles.