BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-08-2020, 04:00 AM   #1
volc
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 '14 M50D

How much comfort you gain with X5 with DHP over Adaptive Suspension

Hi,

I have X5 F15 M50D with Adaptive M Suspension (S2VFA). Where I live there are plenty of uneven and bumpy roads.

I am thinking of retrofitting DHP (S2VPA). I have checked parts and wiring - it looks doable. Actually the biggest challenge is to collect plenty of parts. Rest should be pretty straight forward

I know ARS is a great technology. It makes a great difference in handling and keeps car almost constantly parallel to the ground even in sharp turns on high speed.

Now is the main question - how much of improvement is in a regular ride, but on a bumpy road. If it works as I suppose it in a way "disables" anti-roll bars, making sides of the car working independently. Therefore I would expect a big improvement driving straight on bumpy roads.

Another question is how it behaves in turns on bumpy roads driving let's say 70-80mph. If the priority of ARS ECU is on keeping car parallel to the ground it will stiffen anti-roll bars making the ride less comfy. Of course drive settings may have here the main role to define priorities.

Finally summing it up - what are your experiences on switching between F15 with and without DHP in terms of ride comfort on bumpy roads?

I am simply trying to find out how much improvement I can get, before deciding to dismantle half of the car to get it retrofitted
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:31 AM   #2
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

Sounds like a pretty mad idea, but hell, fingers crossed! You plan to do it yourself or you have a shop that does those things?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Goodfella10
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by volc View Post
Hi,

I have X5 F15 M50D with Adaptive M Suspension (S2VFA). Where I live there are plenty of uneven and bumpy roads.

I am thinking of retrofitting DHP (S2VPA). I have checked parts and wiring - it looks doable. Actually the biggest challenge is to collect plenty of parts. Rest should be pretty straight forward

I know ARS is a great technology. It makes a great difference in handling and keeps car almost constantly parallel to the ground even in sharp turns on high speed.

Now is the main question - how much of improvement is in a regular ride, but on a bumpy road. If it works as I suppose it in a way "disables" anti-roll bars, making sides of the car working independently. Therefore I would expect a big improvement driving straight on bumpy roads.

Another question is how it behaves in turns on bumpy roads driving let's say 70-80mph. If the priority of ARS ECU is on keeping car parallel to the ground it will stiffen anti-roll bars making the ride less comfy. Of course drive settings may have here the main role to define priorities.

Finally summing it up - what are your experiences on switching between F15 with and without DHP in terms of ride comfort on bumpy roads?

I am simply trying to find out how much improvement I can get, before deciding to dismantle half of the car to get it retrofitted

Hey,

I can't really compare a NON-DHP X5 since its been ages since I drove one without the DHP (I drove non DHP but not the F15).
In regards to my DHP. I LOVE IT. You're absolutely right that the drive settings play a major role. I usually drive in "Sports" mode and the steering is a bit stiffed.
I have also cornered at 70-80 miles an hour (many times)and I feel like there is a sweet spot during the cornering where the car adjusts and you can definitely feel the sweet spot.
I feel like a yacht and not a car with the DHP.

This is just my quick note (a busy day for me). However, if you more questions, im all ears.
Appreciate 0