10-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #749
Ozmac
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5 M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1norseman View Post
Slow progress, but getting closer.

My welding guy was out sick for a bit, but finally got this back.
Still need to cut X-pipe to correct length, to match up with existing pipes on the X5.

Second picture shows the cross brace I cut off from where the X-pipe now is. Moved it further down the pipes, to strengthen where there won't be a muffler holding it together.

Get ER done !!!
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      10-25-2020, 08:05 PM   #750
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozmac View Post
Get ER done !!!
Working my way there..
Now onto the last bends and tailpipes, hopefully make some progress on that, this week.

Installing the X-pipe removed almost all burble and pops. So much nicer to drive now.
Currently the exhaust "pours" out through two 90° bends pointed towards the ground, just behind the rear axle. For the last few weeks, those two bends were where the X-Pipe now is. Was way too loud..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #751
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

btw, for those considering ordering a stamped X-Pipe...
Do your research before buying.
This is the one I got from AMZ many years ago. (dusty from sitting on a shelf for years.)
Notice how they inlet and outlets are crimped on the inside and restrictive.

Many stamped ones are poorly made. I gave up on finding a good one, ended up making my own with Vibrant Tubing from Summit Racing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #752
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Finally got my system done the other day.

Went to a recommended exhaust shop to weld the final pieces.
They might have done good work for others, but did not follow my instructions..
So it didn't quite turn out as I wanted it, but good enough for now...

They were supposed to cut the pipes and have the extra resonators going on an angle, towards the tail pipes, but decided it was too much work, and just used the 90 as they were.. .
They also were supposed to use the factory hangers, now they are rigid mount. Not sure how that will work out long term.

The tail pipes were also not supposed to stick out this far, I had requested them to be about one inch further in. They could also have been slightly closer to the center.

But that is what I get for trying trying to get other work done, instead of waiting at the shop..

If I had had time, I would have made the cutting/fabrication myself, and had the welding shop weld it for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #753
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:

They were supposed to cut the pipes and have the extra resonators going on an angle, towards the tail pipes, but decided it was too much work, and just used the 90 as they were.. .
They also were supposed to use the factory hangers, now they are rigid mount. Not sure how that will work out long term.

The tail pipes were also not supposed to stick out this far, I had requested them to be about one inch further in. They could also have been slightly closer to the center.

But that is what I get for trying trying to get other work done, instead of waiting at the shop..

If I had had time, I would have made the cutting/fabrication myself, and had the welding shop weld it for me.
Looks good to me..
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      11-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #754
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:

Looks good. Having the tips poking out a bit looks perfectly fine to me, and it may make for less "exhaust drool" on the paint.

Most importantly, how do you like the sound? Your set-up is almost identical to my first iteration, the only difference being I used the 12" Vibrant resonators. It was too loud for a luxury SUV, for my tastes. I switched in the Ultra Quiet resonators, and it's perfect now.
      11-15-2020, 09:51 AM   #755
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Looks good. Having the tips poking out a bit looks perfectly fine to me, and it may make for less "exhaust drool" on the paint.

Most importantly, how do you like the sound? Your set-up is almost identical to my first iteration, the only difference being I used the 12" Vibrant resonators. It was too loud for a luxury SUV, for my tastes. I switched in the Ultra Quiet resonators, and it's perfect now.
IMO it sounds great!

I have a friend who thinks it is stupid and loud, but last vehicle she bought was a Prius. I have a buddy with a Ford Focus RS with a custom exhaust, and he thinks mine sounds awesome. Couple other buddies likes it too.
There is some "drone" at certain RPM's, but they don't bother me. Nothing at all like the drone I had, when I temporary ran straight pipes that ended right after the OEM resonators.

I'm of the opinion that my roof rack and open sun shade, has more annoying noise on the highway, than the exhaust...

I remember reading about your trials, and if I had not already had these resonators laying around, I would likely had bought the Ultra Quiets for my set up.
I'm still considering buying another couple of the Vibrant SS 90°, new tips, and fab it the way I would want it done. If so, I will also get the Ultra Quiets, to see how it sounds..

But that will have to wait until I have time.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #756
djrabbi
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i

I got mine taken off actually and back to stock... I love the quiet now. No drone
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #757
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
IMO it sounds great!

I have a friend who thinks it is stupid and loud, but last vehicle she bought was a Prius. I have a buddy with a Ford Focus RS with a custom exhaust, and he thinks mine sounds awesome. Couple other buddies likes it too.
There is some "drone" at certain RPM's, but they don't bother me. Nothing at all like the drone I had, when I temporary ran straight pipes that ended right after the OEM resonators.

I'm of the opinion that my roof rack and open sun shade, has more annoying noise on the highway, than the exhaust...

I remember reading about your trials, and if I had not already had these resonators laying around, I would likely had bought the Ultra Quiets for my set up.
I'm still considering buying another couple of the Vibrant SS 90°, new tips, and fab it the way I would want it done. If so, I will also get the Ultra Quiets, to see how it sounds..

But that will have to wait until I have time.
Your opinion of how its sounds is the only opinion that counts. Glad you like it. I think it's one of the most fool-proof and low-risk/high-reward mods. I kept my original muffler and tips, so I can restore it to stock if I have to...and I'd say the chance of that is really rare. Did you keep the original muffler?

Last edited by pennsiveguy; 11-15-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      11-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #758
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
Your opinion of how its sounds is the only opinion that counts. Glad you like it. I think it's one of the most fool-proof and low-risk/high-reward mods. I kept my original muffler and tips, so I can restore it to stock if I have to...and I'd say the chance of that is really rare. Did you keep the original muffler?
I agree, my opinion is what counts...

My old muffler was a standard bumper style, tips turned the wrong way,
I also changed my rear bumper cover. One of the reasons I had to make time to work on the delete.
I still have the original muffler, but I would have to weld new tips to it, if wanted to use it...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #759
NoSugar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM View Post

Why does your car sound like that at idle? Almost like the revs are fluctuating? 0:55
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #760
delt31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD BMW

Hey guys - reading through this thread and a little confused.

I already have MPE installed on my x5 f15 so just looking for the quad tips to weld on. Not looking to redo underneath for better sound.

Which quad tips will fit (can someone link them) bc I tried this a few years ago and the shop tried but was unsuccessful.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #761
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
Hey guys - reading through this thread and a little confused.

I already have MPE installed on my x5 f15 so just looking for the quad tips to weld on. Not looking to redo underneath for better sound.

Which quad tips will fit (can someone link them) bc I tried this a few years ago and the shop tried but was unsuccessful.

Thanks guys.
I replied in your other post. Everyone here have removed the muffler, and are not restricted by its design, so what works here won't adhere to what you are trying to do using the stock muffler. This unless you cut the pipes off at the muffler, and have the shop do custom bends, maybe adjust the heatshield etc.

You need to go back to the shop and ask them "why?", and then come back to your other post and ask for help/advice.

I have a feeling you need to search for shortest dual tips set up, and find a shop more willing to work with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:08 AM   #762
delt31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I replied in your other post. Everyone here have removed the muffler, and are not restricted by its design, so what works here won't adhere to what you are trying to do using the stock muffler. This unless you cut the pipes off at the muffler, and have the shop do custom bends, maybe adjust the heatshield etc.

You need to go back to the shop and ask them "why?", and then come back to your other post and ask for help/advice.

I have a feeling you need to search for shortest dual tips set up, and find a shop more willing to work with you.
Ok that's really helpful. Yes the guy couldn't do it with stock. I'll look into what is required then to remove muffler
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #763
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
Ok that's really helpful. Yes the guy couldn't do it with stock. I'll look into what is required then to remove muffler
Just to clarify, a good shop might be able to cut off the tubing right after the muffler, and do a custom bend from muffler to the tail pipes. But it might involve reshaping the heatshield a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #764
delt31
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify, a good shop might be able to cut off the tubing right after the muffler, and do a custom bend from muffler to the tail pipes. But it might involve reshaping the heatshield a bit.
Thanks.

If anyone in the Pittsburgh area has recommendations as to where to go shop wise, lmk
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #765
KhaledmaisarahF15
Registered
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Very interested in that pneumatische cutout, do you have any pictures and the part?
Sure, below are some pics, this is on an E70 50i, the exhaust is the same between the E70 and F15 with the only difference being slightly different bumper designs. The inner tips are for the stock exhaust and when the cutouts open the exhaust can flow through the muffler, bypassing the restrictive baffling and resonance chambers through the outer tips. Below is a link to the cutouts off amazon. Get the normally closed type if you decide to do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Qiilu-Exhaust.../dp/B07Y34JN1R

I will post some audio clips of it soon with the cut-outs open (it is twice as loud as stock with the cut-outs open!). For some reason I always seem to open them whenever I pass a Prius
Okay fellas ,regarding installing pneumatic valves, this is my first post here.
I've done almost the similar idea on my F15 50i but with different design.
I installed remote controlled electric 2.5" cutout valves i got from ebay about a year ago (unfortunately it's no longer listed so i couldn't refer it).
I kept the oem muffler and I used a hole saw to make an opening next to the original outlet then i stuck the 2.5" pipes inside the muffler, pics will illustrate.
Right now the valve outlets are not connected to the original pipes yet, they are blowing almost inside the wheel well cavity right under the heat shield which makes a hell of a horrible drone. On the good side, the sound is nice with a deep V8 rumble as it should be "of course that's if you could isolate the drone" as i said before i bet is caused mainly by the exhaust blowing in the cavity under the car which acts as a drone amplifier. I believe if i managed some how to connect them to the main outlets the drone will be gone. Anyway i will try experimenting to connect them temporarily to be routed outside and see if that fixes the drone which is the only issue other than that I'm very happy with the sound. Maybe the next step is trying those amazon resonators.
Unfortunately Like an idiot I forgot to take photos of the muffler after installing the valves while i was working on it outside the car. So photos are after installing it back on.
I'll also put some photos of the new tips in place for display, please let me know what you think of them.
Later on i'll post videos of sound before and after.

BTW this job is DIY, i did it in my garage but that's how far I could go with my little to no experience with welding and metal working, i had to improvise in a few things because I already went that far and i was postponing this job for almost a year and finally had the guts to do it, long story short i will have to visit a muffler shop to connect the valve pipes to the main ones and probably modify the heat shield to accommodate the pipes side by side.
My advice here if you are going with valves get the electric ones not the pneumatic simply because pneumatics will require a vacuum line to be run from the engine bay backwards to the valve, but electric is way simpler just plug and play.
Sorry for the long post just wanted to tell the details.
Thanks guys 👊🏻
Will keep you posted with any updates and i will be very thankful if anyone has any idea how to eliminate the freakn drone.

Here's the link to the 3.5" quad staggered slant cut tips

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08H54L1CK...UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
1norseman398.00
      01-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #766
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Has anyone done a center (only) muffler delete to pick up a better sound, while leaving an aftermarket rear muffler for their 50i? I am considering this mod to supplement my new SuperSprint race muffler. What do you guys think of this idea?

Photos below show stock, then the center muffler delete with new center pipes.
Attached Images

01-10-2021, 03:05 PM   #767
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Has anyone done a center (only) muffler delete to pick up a better sound, while leaving an aftermarket rear muffler for their 50i? I am considering this mod to supplement my new SuperSprint race muffler. What do you guys think of this idea?

I took them out but it sounds very raspy.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #768
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Quote:

Ok very helpful and good to know, thanks.
      02-10-2021, 12:01 AM   #769
Gkacmaz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Quote:

Good or bad?
I have Cutouts in front of my muffler which sounds so much better than stock (No Xpipe). I'm looking to get my setup louder and thought about removing the resonators and adding Xpipe
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 08:36 PM   #770
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
Good or bad?
I have Cutouts in front of my muffler which sounds so much better than stock (No Xpipe). I'm looking to get my setup louder and thought about removing the resonators and adding Xpipe
Raspy is by definition harsh-sounding. It's a taste issue.

If you expect a deep V8 rumble like in American muscle cars, it is very far from it and it sounds more like a pop-corn 4-banger ricer exhaust.

But if you like loud pops-bangs-cracks etc. all the time accompanied with a high pitch exhaust noise, then you may like it. Just lift her up and disconnect the exhaust all the way up front and listen to how it will sound.

To me, it does not match the character of the 50i.
Appreciate 1
Gkacmaz41.00