BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #1
jaskis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5(F15)

How Much Is Reasonable

My mom got a new X7 so I get her 2014 X5 35i. I'm definitely a car guy at heart, but with 150k miles and 6 years under its belt I don't know how much modification is reasonable. Want to start off with replacing M sport wheels with 20 inch staggered wheel setup with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tires. I would like to also paint the calipers, modify exhaust(muffler delete seems like most cost effective solution), change the kidney grill in the front to gloss black, tint, and lastly a tune. Due to the fact that I'm still a college student and this is only my car for the next 4 years max, I am heavily considering the extent to which all these mods are reasonable. Genuinely curious on what mods you guys think I should go for and in which order.

Wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...200MB&i2_Qty=2
O.Z.
SUPERTURISMO DAKAR
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Your money pal, but if you are not planning to keep it for long I would not bother investing.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #3
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskis View Post
My mom got a new X7 so I get her 2014 X5 35i. I'm definitely a car guy at heart, but with 150k miles and 6 years under its belt I don't know how much modification is reasonable. Want to start off with replacing M sport wheels with 20 inch staggered wheel setup with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Tires. I would like to also paint the calipers, modify exhaust(muffler delete seems like most cost effective solution), change the kidney grill in the front to gloss black, tint, and lastly a tune. Due to the fact that I'm still a college student and this is only my car for the next 4 years max, I am heavily considering the extent to which all these mods are reasonable. Genuinely curious on what mods you guys think I should go for and in which order.

Wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...B&i2_Qty=2
O.Z.
SUPERTURISMO DAKAR
150k miles in 6 years? Sheesh! With that said, I would be cautious with performance upgrades at that mileage and wouldn't be looking to invest too much given you will likely keep it another couple years at best.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I've never seen wheels from tire rack that look good on a ride. Might as well buy replicas off ebay that'll look better and be half the price.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskis View Post

Wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...200MB&i2_Qty=2
O.Z.
SUPERTURISMO DAKAR
If I were you I won't touch a thing and drive until you are ready to move on to a new platform. I understand that you are excited about the car and have so many MOD ideas.. I've been there but your desire for modification will slowly fade away.

When I picked up my M6 5 months ago, I was ready to drop over 10k in MOD but due to COVID I halted all MOD ideas, and here I am.. I have not done a thing with the car and I actually really appreciate the stock look and I don't want to do anything with it anymore and I feel like I will ruin the car if I start doing Mods.

Just drive it for at least 6~10 months then revisit the idea to see if you still want to do it.

I also wouldn't do the muffler delete on this type of car.. but a good starting point will be subtle cosmetic changes like Gloss Black kidney grille/side gill and depending on the color of the exterior.. if it's white then I would change the X5 emblem/roundel to gloss black or matte black from IND or something. , in other words, just do some chrome delete.

Given the age of the car and miles, the exterior condition may have some flaws.. then I would look into wrapping the car to the color of your liking to bring a fresh look.. this will make you happy for a while..

but in the end it's your money, you do you
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #6
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I've never seen wheels from tire rack that look good on a ride. Might as well buy replicas off ebay that'll look better and be half the price.
This I agree, those wheels will only cheapen your car.. I would try to get nice replica OEM wheels.. although I can't speak for the quality and durability of those replica wheels..

some Vorsteiner wheels are selling for an affordable price and they are cool
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

maybe you should probably post the pictures of your car
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #8
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
I would do only cosmetic mods (tint, grill, caliper paint, etc.) and would not go for a tune at that mileage. Like others have mentioned, go for replica wheels from eBay. They are priced reasonably. I have had OZ Superturismos on other (smaller) cars, however, they do not look good if they are anything larger than 18 inches. And whatever you decide to do, enjoy your ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #9
jaskis
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5(F15)

Thank you guys for all the advice, as its dark out right now, I'll get some pictures tomorrow. Will definitely wait a least a couple months to see if my passion to drop a bunch of money is still there. As for damage, there's curb rash on the wheels, minor scratching on the front bumper, and a dent on the rear bumper for which the car is going to the body shop next week. Will still tint the car for privacy and sun protection, otherwise gonna hold off on all other changes.
Appreciate 0