BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

06-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #67
frenchie1013
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie1013 View Post
Speaking of oil, whats the recommendation for oil? I'm using liqui moly on my 335i and it's been great.
I just use the twin power 5/30 from the dealer, picked up some at Ridgefield BMW , it about $8 bucks a quart , you can probably find it cheaper on line.
Sounds good. The 50i is at Ridgefield today for a rear suspension clunk noise in the back. I'll prob pick some up when I got pick her up

2014 X5 50i
BMS stage 1, Dinan intake, F85 Knee Bolsters
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:23 PM   #68
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
You can stay with your stock plugs (what's your mileage?), but if/when you'll get pinging/jerking at WOT - you might start getting misfires and maybe even infamous message "drive-train malfunction error...". In that case you'll need to diagnose car for error codes and most probably change plugs. Don't touch coils until they go bad or you have a specific cylinder misfiring even after you changed plugs. You can swap bad coil then (you don't have to change all 8). I would invest in either Bimmercode OBD device to read errors and be able to diagnose simple things at your convenience without having to go to dealer for every single issue. Even better if you can install e-sys, insta/rheingold (can be downloaded for free) - then you'l be able to do a lot of stuff yourself. Check coding threads.

I think 5-8k oil changes are fine (you can also just out of curiosity send your oil for analysis to blackstone labs - some people have done it and so far it looks like N63TU is holding very good, low chromium - so piston rings are excellent, etc). For the rest you need to follow maintenance schedule, but keep in mind you might want to be careful when going to dealer for maintenance: you'll need to flash back to stock at least (and possibly swap plugs to stock ones if you are going due to misfire, because if they will change plugs and see that you have X5M ones - you might get in trouble about warranty depending on the dealer). I would change ZF8 transmission every 60k for sure - because I don't believe in lifetime fluids and ZF itself recommends fluid/filter change. Fuel filter should be fine in US (gasoline quality is good). Coolant is a shady area - ideally you might want to change it at least at 100k. BMW coolant system is very good and tight, but coolant still looses it's qualities over time.
Wastegate is fine on X5 50i - we have quite reliable turbos - failures due to wastegate are very rare (I haven't seen one so far).

IMHO most important thing when you are tuned in 50i - is good fuel (91 octane sucks), good plugs/coils and timely oil changes. Everything else is not much different from any other car. If you live in hot climate like AZ or FL - I would think about either getting a E85 tune or installing a meth kit for cooling.

There are also some other things available to prolong engine life like a cooler thermostat swap (the one that opens earlier and keeps lower temps) and/or downpipes - that will reduce exhaust temps that stock cats (catalytic converters) that are creating 1400F right in the middle of engine and slowly frying everything in engine: hoses become brittle, gaskets may leak, valve stems loose elasticity etc. However, downpipes will cause emission issues so it's not that popular, at least in US/Canada and especially for X5 50i - that is usually a family car for majority.

In sum, just follow common sense, research and think twice before committing to some expensive mods, do timely maintenance and you should be fine in the long run.
Thanks for all those info, it’s really helpful!!! And such a relief for a newbie like me.

I already brought the bm3 tune from their website this morning, and will try to flash it tonight or maybe this weekend. The current mileage of my car is about 22k miles. So I will change plugs at next oil change (30k miles).
After some research, there do have some bad stories regarding to the injectors and coil failure, figure crossed. The extended warranty of my car gonna be ruined for sure, but I hope the tune will worth the risk.

Btw, if I daily drive below 3k rpm, the flash tune won’t affect the lifespan of the engine plugs and other components right??

Cheers
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      06-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #69
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry8912 View Post
Thanks for all those info, it’s really helpful!!! And such a relief for a newbie like me.

I already brought the bm3 tune from their website this morning, and will try to flash it tonight or maybe this weekend. The current mileage of my car is about 22k miles. So I will change plugs at next oil change (30k miles). After some research, there are some bad stories regarding to the injectors or coil failure, the extended warranty of my car gonna be ruined for sure, but I hope the tune will worth the risk.

Btw, if I daily drive below 3k rpm, the flash tune won’t affect the lifespan of the engine plugs and other components right??

Cheers
Absolutely normal driving will be unchanged only the fact that your making a good bit more power. It will actually even cruise more effortlessly since you will have more torque at any given rpm just getting on it just a little. Good luck with the tune!
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      06-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #70
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Absolutely normal driving will be unchanged only the fact that your making a good bit more power. It will actually even cruise more effortlessly since you will have more torque at any given rpm just getting on it just a little. Good luck with the tune!
Thanks, but I hope normal driving won’t put any stress on other engine parts. Without warranty, the reliability is still a big concern to me.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      06-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #71
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, but I hope normal driving won’t put any stress on other engine parts. Without warranty, the reliability is still a big concern to me.
Not at all , when your not getting on it there will be no added stress, I would just enjoy your cars new power.
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
perry8912101.00
      06-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #72
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
...if I daily drive below 3k rpm, the flash tune won’t affect the lifespan of the engine plugs and other components right??
RPM alone is a poor indicator of engine/drivetrain strain. For example: You could drive away from every stoplight at WOT and manually shift into each successive gear at 3k RPM. This would be a lot of strain on the motor/drivetrain even though you never revved above 3k RPM. Conversely, you could be using 1/4 throttle in Sport + with the transmission in sport shift and the vehicle may hold gears until 4-5k RPM between shifts, but there is a lot less stress (and boost) on the engine/drivetrain in this scenario.

The bottom line is this: when driving around town in a normal fashion, you are utilizing very little boost and thus the engine is under very little strain. This is true with or without a tune. When having some fun, BM3 and other flash tunes are stressing the engine a bit more, but you are fairly safe with a Stage 1 tune. Change your plugs as per your tuners recommendation, perform normal maintenance as per BMW's recommendation (with the exception of oil changes which I would ALWAYS do at a more frequent interval), and be prepared for the random part failure, just like any other car. I would not go changing anything else preemptively with a Stage 1 tune. It's just a waste of money.

Quote:
Without warranty, the reliability is still a big concern to me.
Even if BMW flags your car for a tune, not all parts loose their warranty. For example: it could be easily argued that an ignition coil is under no additional strain due to a tune, and therefore a failed one should still be covered under warranty. This would apply to a myriad of parts. But, if you bend a connecting rod or crack a valve, your on your own.

Last edited by Rotzy; 06-28-2018 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
perry8912101.00
      06-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #73
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I agree with what others said. When I was looking at X5M I stumbled upon a pdf that stated that engine lifespan only starts to shorten starting from 750whp for X5M with S63TU engine. Our N63TU is a bit weaker than S63TU, but on a level of Stage 1 that tops 530whp (max so far) - I think we are on a safer side.

BTW Bpc build a S63TU with only upgraded parts been sleeves, pistons and H-Beam rods that dyno 1500+whp - now that is something I want one day. This is their M5 with just 1026+rwhp https://www.bilibili.com/video/av18297161/

Last edited by DuSh; 06-28-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #74
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hey guys,

I got last question, what’s the benefit of using plugs from X5M? Is it one step colder compare to the stock one? Also if I use a colder plug, during normal drive, will it be not hot enough to burn off combustion deposits? Any harm if I stick to the stock plugs?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #75
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey guys,

I got last question, what’s the benefit of using plugs from X5M? Is it one step colder compare to the stock one? Also if I use a colder plug, during normal drive, will it be not hot enough to burn off combustion deposits? Any harm if I stick to the stock plugs?

Thanks
AFAIK X5M plugs are 1 step colder to begin with - they were chosen by BMW for a specific output - about 500whp. With Stage 1 you will be roughly at same output level. So it makes sense to use X5M plugs. As a rule of thumb you go 1 step colder for every 70-100whp.

However, stay with stock X5 plugs for now, I'm still on stock plugs too. When/if you'll start seeing some misfire issues (chances are you'll be fine) then you can swap them for X5M plugs. You don't have to change them right now. Just wait for next maintenance - whenever that is.

All we are doing is matching proper plug with proper output. Stock X5 plugs were not designed to be used constantly in 100whp increased engine. Temperatures will go up, plug tip will get hotter and eventually will start skipping spark causing misfire, it can also melt - but that's extreme we don't have to worry about. As for deposits - they'll burn just fine even on everyday driving. You are going to change plugs anyway every 30k miles or so if tuned. Also, I'm not an expert, so this is only my opinion man. Let's hear what other say.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 05:53 PM   #76
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:

I already brought the bm3 tune from their website this morning, and will try to flash it tonight or maybe this weekend. The current mileage of my car is about 22k miles. So I will change plugs at next oil change (30k miles).
After some research, there do have some bad stories regarding to the injectors and coil failure, figure crossed. The extended warranty of my car gonna be ruined for sure, but I hope the tune will worth the risk.

Cheers

Ok, Please listen carefully.

When you are ready to flash, make sure your laptop firewalls and security options are set to off.

Put your battery on a charger as the flash can take 20 minutes.

Turn off all non-essentials - lights, radio, etc.

close the door, roll down the window so you can breath. Plug in your seat belt behind you.

Once you are into flashing mode, make sure to select FLASH (SKIP CHECKS). For some reason, press here to flash now does not work correctly.

Once it is finished, cycle down and wait 20 seconds before restarting. You should see a prompt that it was successful.

After you start upon a successful flash, if you get error codes (which I did) like drive train, fuel something or another....then you will need to hit the ONLINE RECODE option. It will do a mini flash and cycle off. When you restart this time you should be solid.

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
perry8912101.00
DuSh2112.50
sly1types426.50
      06-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #77
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Everyone talking about engine lifespan with an additional 100whp. That is nothing for these cars, if something were to break, it probably would have broken without the tune. Assuming you have a good tune, proper octane, and maintain your car, running an extra 100whp on the 50i won't effect anything. Only lifespan it will reduce is plugs.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
CT335xi682.50
      06-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #78
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You can stay with your stock plugs (what's your mileage?), but if/when you'll get pinging/jerking at WOT - you might start getting misfires and maybe even infamous message "drive-train malfunction error...". In that case you'll need to diagnose car for error codes and most probably change plugs. Don't touch coils until they go bad or you have a specific cylinder misfiring even after you changed plugs. You can swap bad coil then (you don't have to change all 8). I would invest in either Bimmercode OBD device to read errors and be able to diagnose simple things at your convenience without having to go to dealer for every single issue. Even better if you can install e-sys, insta/rheingold (can be downloaded for free) - then you'l be able to do a lot of stuff yourself. Check coding threads.

I think 5-8k oil changes are fine (you can also just out of curiosity send your oil for analysis to blackstone labs - some people have done it and so far it looks like N63TU is holding very good, low chromium - so piston rings are excellent, etc). For the rest you need to follow maintenance schedule, but keep in mind you might want to be careful when going to dealer for maintenance: you'll need to flash back to stock at least (and possibly swap plugs to stock ones if you are going due to misfire, because if they will change plugs and see that you have X5M ones - you might get in trouble about warranty depending on the dealer). I would change ZF8 transmission every 60k for sure - because I don't believe in lifetime fluids and ZF itself recommends fluid/filter change. Fuel filter should be fine in US (gasoline quality is good). Coolant is a shady area - ideally you might want to change it at least at 100k. BMW coolant system is very good and tight, but coolant still looses it's qualities over time.
Wastegate is fine on X5 50i - we have quite reliable turbos - failures due to wastegate are very rare (I haven't seen one so far).

IMHO most important thing when you are tuned in 50i - is good fuel (91 octane sucks), good plugs/coils and timely oil changes. Everything else is not much different from any other car. If you live in hot climate like AZ or FL - I would think about either getting a E85 tune or installing a meth kit for cooling.

There are also some other things available to prolong engine life like a cooler thermostat swap (the one that opens earlier and keeps lower temps) and/or downpipes - that will reduce exhaust temps that stock cats (catalytic converters) that are creating 1400F right in the middle of engine and slowly frying everything in engine: hoses become brittle, gaskets may leak, valve stems loose elasticity etc. However, downpipes will cause emission issues so it's not that popular, at least in US/Canada and especially for X5 50i - that is usually a family car for majority.

In sum, just follow common sense, research and think twice before committing to some expensive mods, do timely maintenance and you should be fine in the long run.
Thanks for all those info, it's really helpful!!! And such a relief for a newbie like me.

Btw, if I daily drive below 3k rpm, the flash tune won't affect the lifespan of the engine plugs and other components right??

Cheers
Yes a tune will eat up your plugs and they will need to be changed to colder ones eventually. Colder ones will also need to be changed more often. Expect every 20-30k miles vice 60 or whatever the manual says. You're running high boost and this more energy in the piston which is going to wear down the plugs. And let's be honest. If you're gonna spend the money to add power. It's not to never go above 3k rpm. Otherwise why waste your money?!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      06-28-2018, 11:05 PM   #79
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Yes a tune will eat up your plugs and they will need to be changed to colder ones eventually. Folder ones will also need to be changed more often. Expect every 20-30k miles vice 60 or whatever the manual says. You're running high boost and this more energy in the piston which is going to wear down the plugs. And let's be honest. If you're gonna spend the money to add power. It's not to never go above 3k rpm. Otherwise why waste your money?!
Even under normal driving condition, it still eat up the plugs?? I'm stuck in stop and go traffic almost every workday, and only drive wot on weekends occasionally. I guess I'm wasting my money.... But life is short!!

Anyway, hope everything will hold up together...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #80
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Even under normal driving condition, it still eat up the plugs?? I'm stuck in stop and go traffic almost every workday, and only drive wot on weekends occasionally. I guess I'm wasting my money.... But life is short!!

Anyway, hope everything will hold up together...
Quit worrying and put that flash tune on, everything will be just fine like others have already mentioned as these cars are conservatively tuned.
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #81
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

No more misfire codes with BM3 stage 1 tune after swapping to X5M plugs and changing coils. Max boost of 20-21 psi with solid timing and fuel pressure according to the datalog.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
perry8912101.00
      06-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #82
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBeau View Post
No more misfire codes with BM3 stage 1 tune after swapping to X5M plugs and changing coils. Max boost of 20-21 psi with solid timing and fuel pressure according to the datalog.
Heavens to Betsy, 20-21psi Bob what are you using for datalog? I need to do it too.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #83
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Heavens to Betsy, 20-21psi Bob what are you using for datalog? I need to do it too.
You can datalog with the BM3 software. Datalogged a couple of WOT runs and sent them to BM3 for review.

There's a new version for the stage 1 tune from BM3. Not that it's 100% accurate but I noticed the sport display dial with the updated version now goes to 640 hp instead of 480. Looks like the line was just touching the 600 mark on my WOT runs (yes this was the hp dial not the torque dial). Stock tune would hit around 460. Again, I'm not saying this is accurate by any means but it's interesting nonetheless.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      06-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #84
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If anyone is considering changing their coils... you can get the OEM Bosch coils on ebay for about $20 each. Ebay is also having a 15% off everything sale on all purchases over $25 today only.
Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
AZTWW195.00
      06-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #85
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Quote:
that sounds like what i was seeing but still need to log. the bm3 tune is beast i just wonder if it is too much. be interested in their review of your logs.

another guy put down 530 whp on dynojet. that is around 600 crank so it may not be far off.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      06-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #86
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, if you guys have true 20-21psi - then 530whp sounds about right and hence about 600hp at least (if not more) at the crank. Looks like you guys are highest so far.

P.S. Just wait me crank up my Bpc Stage 1.5 to 20-21psi - and then we'll see

Maybe I'll be lucky to get to 550awhp

P.P.S. Is there a tune for E40 at BM3, have anyone seen something like that? Just wondering
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:52 PM   #87
perry8912
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If anyone is considering changing their coils... you can get the OEM Bosch coils on ebay for about $20 each. Ebay is also having a 15% off everything sale on all purchases over $25 today only.
What's the part number of those coils? I was told the Eldor is the new supplier to bmw. What about stock plugs?

Update, Just found it... Bosch#0221504470

Last edited by perry8912; 06-29-2018 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #88
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, if you guys have true 20-21psi - then 530whp sounds about right and hence about 600hp at least (if not more) at the crank. Looks like you guys are highest so far.

P.S. Just wait me crank up my Bpc Stage 1.5 to 20-21psi - and then we'll see

Maybe I'll be lucky to get to 550awhp

P.P.S. Is there a tune for E40 at BM3, have anyone seen something like that? Just wondering
530 whp on dynojet is more then 600 crank/ flywheel hp , especially on a awd / auto tranny vehicle. These vehicles to start with make more power then the claimed 445 crank hp, there underrated like many of BMW products.
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50