BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

New X5 M Owner (2018) - Brakes and Sus

Good day all. I am a newbie to BMWs and I just picked up a used 2018 x5M with 19k miles. I love this truck but I wanted to update a few things and I thought I'd ask the forum before proceeding.

Suspension - if I pick up the KW v3 coil overs I know I'll be losing the Suspension setting feature BUT does it trigger a check engine light or amber warning light on the dash once eliminated? I'm trying to be as discreet as possible and can't have the wife noticing.

Also - has anyone ever upgrade the rear calipers to brembo 4 piston? If so, did they lose the auto hold feature or the parking button function? I'm surprised BMW didn't include big brakes in the rear for this vehicle so it's something I wanted to change ASAP.

Anywho - good to meet everyone and I want to thank everyone here for posting all of the information in these forums. It has been very helpful for me.

11-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
Good day all. I am a newbie to BMWs and I just picked up a used 2018 x5M with 19k miles. I love this truck but I wanted to update a few things and I thought I'd ask the forum before proceeding.

Suspension - if I pick up the KW v3 coil overs I know I'll be losing the Suspension setting feature BUT does it trigger a check engine light or amber warning light on the dash once eliminated? I'm trying to be as discreet as possible and can't have the wife noticing.

Also - has anyone ever upgrade the rear calipers to brembo 4 piston? If so, did they lose the auto hold feature or the parking button function? I'm surprised BMW didn't include big brakes in the rear for this vehicle so it's something I wanted to change ASAP.

Anywho - good to meet everyone and I want to thank everyone here for posting all of the information in these forums. It has been very helpful for me.

Did you ever pull the trigger on the car?
      11-15-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick2 View Post
Quote:

Yeah I got her. She's nice. It's my first bmw coming from mostly Nissan and Infiniti. I get why bmw owners are so snobby. These ride are very very nice. 😂 I was just replying in some one else's post about suspension and warranty voids. I'll probably swap out to brembos in front as my first upgrade then KWv3s. I already ordered a rear carbon diffuser because my ass has to look nice. Thanks for reading and replying!
Attached Images

11-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #4
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick2 View Post
Quote:

Yeah I got her. She's nice. It's my first bmw coming from mostly Nissan and Infiniti. I get why bmw owners are so snobby. These ride are very very nice. 😂 I was just replying in some one else's post about suspension and warranty voids. I'll probably swap out to brembos in front as my first upgrade then KWv3s. I already ordered a rear carbon diffuser because my ass has to look nice. Thanks for reading and replying!
Looks great. Congrats!
      11-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

From what I remember, you can't just do a Brembo caliper only upgrade. Rotors and calipers mounting are different. You gotta do the whole kit.

There was a group out of Russia (tronik) that did a Porsche caliper upgrade with a custom mounting bracket that worked.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
From what I remember, you can't just do a Brembo caliper only upgrade. Rotors and calipers mounting are different. You gotta do the whole kit.

There was a group out of Russia (tronik) that did a Porsche caliper upgrade with a custom mounting bracket that worked.
Yeah I'm gonna bite the bullet and do the full conversion up front this year and next year do the rears. I can't take the brake squeals.
      11-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Yeah I'm gonna bite the bullet and do the full conversion up front this year and next year do the rears. I can't take the brake squeals.
If it's just the brake squeal you're trying to get rid of, just change your pads. My F85 sounded like a city bus when I got it. Changed the pads to PowerStops and haven't heard a sound out of them since. Only 500 miles or so, but I'm super happy with what could be a $200 fix if you do them yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
Quote:
If it's just the brake squeal you're trying to get rid of, just change your pads. My F85 sounded like a city bus when I got it. Changed the pads to PowerStops and haven't heard a sound out of them since. Only 500 miles or so, but I'm super happy with what could be a $200 fix if you do them yourself.
This is an absolute fact. I'll ponder it. I like the brembo look and quality and stopping power anyway but you might be right. I could invest that left over cash. 🧐
      11-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
The calipers that are currently on your vehicle are Brembo. Brembo manufactures calipers for all brands of performance vehicle, foreign as well as domestic. If you were to take your front wheel off, you will see the Brembo logo embossed in the caliper.

Do what every other owner has done to get rid of that awful squeal, change your brake pads out for PowerStop Carbon Ceramic Brake Pads.

I have them just sitting on a corner with my new front rotors, just waiting for me to get around to it.
Appreciate 0