BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
evanaswan
Yngwie J Malmsteen
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 GC - G07 X7

Lease return with lowered f85

Hi, quick question. Picking up new F96 and dropping off the F85 Lowered.

Can I give them the car lowered without being charged to go back. Or will it be fine. They are adjustable. so could have a shop raise it. but really just want to plop it on the tarmac and forget about it.

Any experience with this appreciated responses.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
charliec
Rep
Drives: X5M

I believe you will be made aware that you modified someone else's car and they will want it back the same way you "borrowed" it.
Appreciate 1
P111569.00
      11-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

It’ll probably be cheaper to return to the stock suspension than pay whatever “penalty” is imposed. Why mod a leased car anyway?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Since you've modified someone else's vehicle, the owner will want it back in its original state. I recommend bringing it back to it OEM condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #5
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

I don't think you are supposed to modify a leased car, per lease agreement that you signed. If BMW finds out, you will face heavy penalty or law suit.
      11-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #6
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Returning to stock might be cheaper
      11-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
You are picking up a new car from dealer, who will handle it for you. But of course always double check with your SA.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #8
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanaswan View Post
Hi, quick question. Picking up new F96 and dropping off the F85 Lowered.

Can I give them the car lowered without being charged to go back. Or will it be fine. They are adjustable. so could have a shop raise it. but really just want to plop it on the tarmac and forget about it.

Any experience with this appreciated responses.
I always tuned back to stock. Do this. Or pay BMW to do the swap they'll probably charge you somewhere in between 2k and 3k lol and maybe even slap you with some replacement parts they deemed worn because you lowered the car. There's rarely an honest person at any dealer, especially since you already purchased a new car.

Since it seems like you can afford it, no offense; bring it to an indy shop, pay them 150 per corner bc they know they have you by the balls. You might say but its just links in the back.. they will say, "oh I meant 3 hours for each front corner, we'll do the links for free."

This is assuming you lowered by springs and links. If you lowered by coils then pull them off and sell them for 2k. I hope your not returning KWs lol.

Moral of the story, if you are dropping off the car with a modded suspension you are risking writing them a blank check for a suspension overhaul. Then you have to fight that or just pay.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #9
kimi_fan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' X5M/91' 325i

Garage List
2017 X5M  [0.00]
2014 X5 50i MSport  [0.00]
2011 X5 35i SA  [0.00]
2007 X3 3.0si  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2003 330Ci  [0.00]
1991 325ic  [0.00]
While I'd personally return it to stock before turning it in - here are a few things to consider from my experience. If you're purchasing the car outright and then reselling you aren't on the hook for the mods. This is likely the only scenario where your mods won't matter as the car is now yours and it is up to you to sell it later. If BMWFS is taking the car in and plans to auction it, you'll probably be on the hook for the mods - this one has gone both ways for me personally and I'm not quite sure why. If BMWFS takes the car in and the dealer buys it back, and this dealer wants to CPO the car, you'll be on the hook for the mods...not only that, they will use a fine tooth comb on the car and try to ding you for every possible item, especially if you're not immediately getting a new car from the same dealer at the time of return. I didn't realize this until just recently, but if the dealer buys the car from FS, FS takes your money for the damages at lease end inspection and simply lowers the sale price of the car to the dealer under the assumption the dealer will make the repairs as part of the CPO process. If they don't make the repairs, yet you were charged, it increases their margin on the CPO sale. I definitely could see a shady dealer trying to pass off minor damage on a CPO that you were charged for.

There are certain items I would consider not replacing on a lease return, and you should look at your lease terms for the charge per "type" and severity of damage. Tires as an example are maxed at $300 per on the X5/6Ms, which is cheaper than you can buy a new MPSS. Sure, you could buy used from the forum if you're just under that 4/32nd mark, but at some point between dealing with an unknown buyer and the hassle of shipping and install it may turn out to be a wash, more likely not in your favor. They also tend not to say anything about BMW performance upgrades - as an example I've blacked out my trim on the last two and the return inspection didn't list any "damages" to the grilles or badges. Suspension and exhaust will likely get you every time.

You could consider asking for the lease end pre-inspection where they come out to your home or work. The worst they can do is tell you that you're on the hook and for how much, at which point you could decide on the most cost effective route to correct. Sometimes the inspectors do a fine job, others are total dicks. Had one tell me that my hood didn't sit right on a 335i coupe and told me I was lying that the car wasn't hit. The car only had 12k miles, always in the garage, and was perfect...kind of pissed me off.

Finally, if anyone reading this and just bought a 2017 LBB/Black X5M with the VIN ending in 0404 I'm sorry, but you should DM me.
(past) 11' X5 35i SA - Black Saph
(past) 07' X3 3.0si MSport
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #10
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimi_fan View Post
While I'd personally return it to stock before turning it in - here are a few things to consider from my experience. If you're purchasing the car outright and then reselling you aren't on the hook for the mods. This is likely the only scenario where your mods won't matter as the car is now yours and it is up to you to sell it later. If BMWFS is taking the car in and plans to auction it, you'll probably be on the hook for the mods - this one has gone both ways for me personally and I'm not quite sure why. If BMWFS takes the car in and the dealer buys it back, and this dealer wants to CPO the car, you'll be on the hook for the mods...not only that, they will use a fine tooth comb on the car and try to ding you for every possible item, especially if you're not immediately getting a new car from the same dealer at the time of return. I didn't realize this until just recently, but if the dealer buys the car from FS, FS takes your money for the damages at lease end inspection and simply lowers the sale price of the car to the dealer under the assumption the dealer will make the repairs as part of the CPO process. If they don't make the repairs, yet you were charged, it increases their margin on the CPO sale. I definitely could see a shady dealer trying to pass off minor damage on a CPO that you were charged for.

There are certain items I would consider not replacing on a lease return, and you should look at your lease terms for the charge per "type" and severity of damage. Tires as an example are maxed at $300 per on the X5/6Ms, which is cheaper than you can buy a new MPSS. Sure, you could buy used from the forum if you're just under that 4/32nd mark, but at some point between dealing with an unknown buyer and the hassle of shipping and install it may turn out to be a wash, more likely not in your favor. They also tend not to say anything about BMW performance upgrades - as an example I've blacked out my trim on the last two and the return inspection didn't list any "damages" to the grilles or badges. Suspension and exhaust will likely get you every time.

You could consider asking for the lease end pre-inspection where they come out to your home or work. The worst they can do is tell you that you're on the hook and for how much, at which point you could decide on the most cost effective route to correct. Sometimes the inspectors do a fine job, others are total dicks. Had one tell me that my hood didn't sit right on a 335i coupe and told me I was lying that the car wasn't hit. The car only had 12k miles, always in the garage, and was perfect...kind of pissed me off.

Finally, if anyone reading this and just bought a 2017 LBB/Black X5M with the VIN ending in 0404 I'm sorry, but you should DM me.
Thanks for the detailed information.