11-25-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC SMB

Any common issues with X5 x35i

Hello

I am bout to pull a trigger on 17 X5 x35i with 17k miles on it. The car will be covered warranty for the next 5 years so I am not too worried about it but if I do end up keeping the car after it's out of warranty I wanted to know what the experience is like.

I don't drive enough that It's highly unlikely that I even drive 10k a year

Is there any common issue I should be aware of? and what's the running cost like for 5~7 years up to 75k miles?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Most common issue I've seen so far people not using search asking for common issues.
Generally speaking there are no common issues. If you change oil a bit more often and do regular maintenance it will last very well. Please see threads below:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1722540
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1674653
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1752785
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706538
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
Most common issue I've seen so far people not using search asking for common issues.
Generally speaking there are no common issues. If you change oil a bit more often and do regular maintenance it will last very well. Please see threads below:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1722540
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1674653
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1752785
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1706538
ah my apology and thanks for this.

I was just searching for something on the M6 forum and did not end up finding what I was looking for using the search engine and I must have been on autopilot mode and posted this before even thinking about searching the topic.

will use the search engine before posting anything from now
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

No worries, I hope you get it and enjoy the wonderful ride.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

if you don't drive much save the money and get one with more mileage and add an extended warranty. probably save you 10k. cars value depreciated fast.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Just curious - where is the five years of coverage coming from? One year of new car and CPO would only be two. And costing?
      11-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Just curious - where is the five years of coverage coming from? One year of new car and CPO would only be two. And costing?
I am getting an extended warranty, its total of 5 years not 5 years on top of the current warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 08:45 PM   #8
SUPERFASTER
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

bought my 17’ X5 xdrive36i M-Sport about a year ago with similar mileage and I’ve enjoyed the handling and performance. I would second the poster that said to save yourself some money and get one that’s depreciated a little more and get an extended warranty. This car is solid. Period.

You will love it!
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 01:52 AM   #9
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERFASTER View Post
bought my 17’ X5 xdrive36i M-Sport about a year ago with similar mileage and I’ve enjoyed the handling and performance. I would second the poster that said to save yourself some money and get one that’s depreciated a little more and get an extended warranty. This car is solid. Period.

You will love it!
Thanks for the info and the assurance! I am just in a weird situation due to needing to spend a certain amount on a vehicle for a tax deduction. I am getting a reasonable price for this particular finding IMO and the numbers are just working out for me.

One thing I found during the search for this car was it was very difficult to find one with the M-sports package, it was surprisingly not very common. the one I found was pretty loaded with many options including the M-sports package, the window sticker price was 75k originally.

I actually wanted to get a pre-owned X5M but couldn't convince my wife for the extra power/payment lol.. she was like "Is this car going to make the same noise as your M6? then there is no way I am getting it"

it's kinda funny how my wife doesn't even care to test-drive the car.. she didn't test drive her last two cars either I just brought them home.. and this time won't be any different yet she's very involved in selecting one..

Anyway, the car is in the trailer and should be here in SOCAL from NORCAL next week!

Thanks for everyone's input
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #10
bmwchue
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniteflow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERFASTER View Post
bought my 17' X5 xdrive36i M-Sport about a year ago with similar mileage and I've enjoyed the handling and performance. I would second the poster that said to save yourself some money and get one that's depreciated a little more and get an extended warranty. This car is solid. Period.

You will love it!
Thanks for the info and the assurance! I am just in a weird situation due to needing to spend a certain amount on a vehicle for a tax deduction. I am getting a reasonable price for this particular finding IMO and the numbers are just working out for me.

One thing I found during the search for this car was it was very difficult to find one with the M-sports package, it was surprisingly not very common. the one I found was pretty loaded with many options including the M-sports package, the window sticker price was 75k originally.

I actually wanted to get a pre-owned X5M but couldn't convince my wife for the extra power/payment lol.. she was like "Is this car going to make the same noise as your M6? then there is no way I am getting it"

it's kinda funny how my wife doesn't even care to test-drive the car.. she didn't test drive her last two cars either I just brought them home.. and this time won't be any different yet she's very involved in selecting one..

Anyway, the car is in the trailer and should be here in SOCAL from NORCAL next week!

Thanks for everyone's input
lol im surprised you said that.. I live in norcal and the only m sport package I could find at the time was in socal. well congrats on the new car
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
lol im surprised you said that.. I live in norcal and the only m sport package I could find at the time was in socal. well congrats on the new car
thank you thank you! I also noticed is that there seems to be more X6 with Msports package than ones without.

I really think the M sports package adds so much to the X5.. the aerodynamic body kit sounds like a subtle difference but does change the whole look of the car IMO..

What do you think of the new G gen X series? I could be biased since I am getting F series but I am not so sold on the rear design but it does look more aggressive in the front, however, many people talk bout how bad it looks in the front looks with the new kidney grille.

This one keeps popping up on my Facebook ad and it looks really nice

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
bmwchue
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
thank you thank you! I also noticed is that there seems to be more X6 with Msports package than ones without.

I really think the M sports package adds so much to the X5.. the aerodynamic body kit sounds like a subtle difference but does change the whole look of the car IMO..

What do you think of the new G gen X series? I could be biased since I am getting F series but I am not so sold on the rear design but it does look more aggressive in the front, however, many people talk bout how bad it looks in the front looks with the new kidney grille.

This one keeps popping up on my Facebook ad and it looks really nice

[IMG]https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/d...7d6c7c5454.jpg[/IMG]
on the x6 I'm not a fan of the rear because the tail lights are too small and the car cost more.

as for M sport package thats a must for me because of the cosmetics and the slimmer steering wheel. it will def help with the value of the car if you ever want to sell it.

and for the G x series the must have the m sport package and led headlights. I also like the new interior and some of the cool features the G have that the F doesnt.
imo overall I wouldn't buy the newer x5
I rather get a x3 m competition for the price of the x5 but if I have the money x5 m for sure
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #13
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

from one '17 X5, 35i, X drive, M sport to another, congrats. I too bought mine this past summer with 35k on the clock(off lease from the dealer), CPO'ed and I could not be happier. We'll check back in two years from now and hope the happiness continues !
      11-28-2020, 07:41 PM   #14
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

17k miles? It's barely broken in. I have 120k with no issues.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #15
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
17k miles? It's barely broken in. I have 120k with no issues.
damn, that's promising! so when you say no issue all you did is just routine maintenance? that's amazing man
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #16
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
damn, that's promising! so when you say no issue all you did is just routine maintenance? that's amazing man
This is my second f15 I picked up from original owner with around 60k miles. I haven't even changed the brakes yet. I did change plugs and all fluids, including transfer case, trans, and differentials. Only other thing I did was change front control arm bushings to polyurethane,even though originals didn't look bad.
The 35i is pretty reliable. The diesel may have some emissions issues come up. And the v8 can be hit or miss.
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2020, 09:07 PM   #17
Arteezy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC F15 X5

Just had my steering tilt motor replaced under warranty seems to be somewhat of a common issue service manager stated it was a 2000$ job
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 11:21 PM   #18
Infiniteflow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteezy View Post
Just had my steering tilt motor replaced under warranty seems to be somewhat of a common issue service manager stated it was a 2000$ job
DOTA presence is too strong here lmao
Appreciate 1
Arteezy13.00
      11-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
mikado463
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 35i , '67 Corvette BB,

Quote:
amazing ? for what one pays for this 'supposed' superior engineering I would expect nothing less ! IMO any vehicle today that can't go at least 100k with nothing more than routine maint is a turd .......