BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-27-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
delt31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD BMW

Dual exhaust tips - anyone successful yet?

Haven’t revisited this forum in some time about this and wanted to see has anyone been successful yet in converting their exhaust tips stock F15 too dual exhaust like x5m? Would love to know how and what you bought.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Stock bumper?
If so, check out the muffler delete post.

If converting to X5M bumper, there are other posts, you can search for..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
delt31
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBD BMW

Thanks it’s stock and has MPE already. Just need to know the tips to buy and what’s worked as I tried to do this before and was told it wouldn’t work by shop
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post
Thanks it’s stock and has MPE already. Just need to know the tips to buy and what’s worked as I tried to do this before and was told it wouldn’t work by shop
Unless you modify the heat shield, most of the tips available, will stick out too far too look good, IMO.
Nonetheless, anything is possible to do, when you want it bad enough!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

See this post
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=16

I don't know the pipe dia for the MPE, so you would want to verify that. Regarding the heat shield, my understanding is you just need to bend it up out of the way.

I'm about to perform a muffler delete and dual tips on my 35d. Biggest issue I'm finding is its not a level shot from the muffler output to the tips, it angles up a little, and with OEM tips the pipe flares out to the rectangle shape so I have to cut the pipe much farther back than is ideal and its making it difficult to match the angles needed without having a mandrel bender available. I'd imagine the MPE is similar in regards to the angles of the pipe coming off the muffler, but the pipe should stay round all the way to the tips so that might make things much easier.
Appreciate 1
1230vani648.50
      12-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
1norseman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one8 View Post
See this post
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=16

I don't know the pipe dia for the MPE, so you would want to verify that. Regarding the heat shield, my understanding is you just need to bend it up out of the way.

I'm about to perform a muffler delete and dual tips on my 35d. Biggest issue I'm finding is its not a level shot from the muffler output to the tips, it angles up a little, and with OEM tips the pipe flares out to the rectangle shape so I have to cut the pipe much farther back than is ideal and its making it difficult to match the angles needed without having a mandrel bender available. I'd imagine the MPE is similar in regards to the angles of the pipe coming off the muffler, but the pipe should stay round all the way to the tips so that might make things much easier.
35i Msport and 50i muffler is similar when it comes to the final bend, but pipe size is smaller for the 35i, I'm guessing around 2.5, vs around 2.75 for the 50i.
I had a 35i msport tips muffler, was considering using those tips and bends, but realized the diameter coming out of the muffler, was smaller. Both 35i sport and 50i pipe/tube seems to have a similar oval shape at the end, where the pipe welds to the exhaust tips.
Heatshield is pretty stout material, won't just bend out of the way. Needs a bit of force.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
Anything is possible but you need to find a skilled guy who is willing to do it.
As you can see it in the picture, the original muffler and aftermarket one are slightly different, especially how the pipes are bent at an angle away from the bumper after they exit the muffler. This gives the aftermarket exhaust tips a longer clearance and makes it a little easier to find fitting tips and also position and weld them. You need to find out how long your exhaust tips can be in order to be welded in the available area that you have with the MPE. You may wanna get a pair of single tips slightly longer than the second pair to have them welded slanted. I don't think that there are any double tips available in the market that are short enough and angled the way to fit in the short gap available.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #8
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Fellow enthusiast,

Like told someone over PM, you must find a mom and pop shop that can weld and do exhaust work. If you try and go to a typical exhaust place, they will probably give you a ton of excuses why they cannot do it (in reality they just trying to do quick work, get paid, and on to the next one)

-The heat shield needs to be pushed back a bit. The guy that did mine "massaged it with a hammer" to move back only the portion that was prohibiting the install and it's still not touching and cables or anything on the other side.

-Use your original pipes if you can. The bends are already there so you'll save lots of time -or- find someone that can bend new ones for you.

-I wouldn't go bigger than 4" OD in the bumper holes as you will be touching/or darn near the bumper and if your tips are not dual wall, you're gonna start messing up your bumper in my opinion(eventually).

-if you want to protect the welds and make it look nice then get 2k heat resistant flat black (or your favorite color) spray and coat away.

Anything is doable, just find a mom and pop exhaust place 🤷🏽
Appreciate 0