BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Jency_p
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Build Thread

Just popped my cherry with my first BMW. Have always been a jdm guy but mostly Honda/Acura and Nissan/Datsun. Really wanted to try out something european and wanted a F85 but people scared me with maintenance horror stories so I went with a f15. 2015 M sport in Imperial Blue Metallic( in my opinion 95% of the time it looks black) with 68k miles, 2 prior owners. Have future mod/maintenance/upgrades plans for it so will be posting it all here.
Recently did a few mods including
-599m wheels wrapped in Michelin PSS
-Gloss black kidney grilles
-wrapped interior trim in 3m Carbon fiber(temporary)
-de-coded and upgraded to apple carplay/2021 Map

Future Mods Include
-f85 Brake Kit
-Carbon fiber interior trim
-f85 knee pads
-KW V3 coilovers
-2018 Headlights
-6WB cluster
-carbon front lip/rear diffuser
-Wagner intercooler/downpipe
-tune(don't know what tune I will go with yet)

P.S. Please cut me some slack if I posted this in the wrong place. Also new to forums and am learning this as I go. Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      06-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Looks great! Nice list of mods to get off the ground with too. How’s the maintenance catch up with yours? Mine at 70k has quite the list of deferred maintenance I was ‘blessed’ with :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

love the cf trim!
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      06-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Looks great! Add paint matched front reflector's and she'd be a beaut.
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      06-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthpatel1 View Post
Thank you. Front bumper was previously repainted and it was a bad job. Clear in peeling. Previous owner told me his son crashed his bicycle into front bumper and ruined it. Was thinking of waiting to get front bumper repainted. Did not know they sell color matched reflectors. Thought everyone had them wrapped. 🤣 What website can I get the reflectors and the blacked out BMW emblems?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #6
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Looks great! Nice list of mods to get off the ground with too. How’s the maintenance catch up with yours? Mine at 70k has quite the list of deferred maintenance I was ‘blessed’ with :-)
Previous owner had minor things done at the dealer. Nothing Major. Had it looked over at BMW shop owned by a family member and they told me truck is in almost perfect condition except for the oil pan. Guess previous owner took it to a cheap oil changing spot and they over tighten the drain bolt which caused 2 threads to strip on actual pan. Just has it ordered and shop price is $1,000. Coming from owning Honda's, this felt like a stroke. 🤣
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      06-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
love the cf trim!
Thank man. Love the F85 look so in the meanwhile I wrapped it. Didnt know those trims and knee pads cost soo much money. 🤦 😅
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jency_p View Post
Previous owner had minor things done at the dealer. Nothing Major. Had it looked over at BMW shop owned by a family member and they told me truck is in almost perfect condition except for the oil pan. Guess previous owner took it to a cheap oil changing spot and they over tighten the drain bolt which caused 2 threads to strip on actual pan. Just has it ordered and shop price is $1,000. Coming from owning Honda's, this felt like a stroke. ��
Yeah, that oil pan is a complicated one with the D/S running through it. Even 'regular' ones are $600+. This is why I source so much used stuff. BMW parts are generally very high quality and sourcing used ones mean getting it for 1/3 of the cost but still getting 80% of the usable life of the part. Car-part.com and eBay are both super helpful!

I was left with plugs, all filters, etc from the previous owner. Glad it didn't happen to you - sounds like we made a trade for your oil pan issue. You're getting it sorted, tho, which is awesome!

The one tip I'll give is that BMWs are GREAT, RELIABLE machines as long as you keep up on the preventative maintenance and don't cheap out on trans services, etc. Also, using OE or genuine parts is the way to go. I almost always just go OE when available. They build very durable machines and with the right replacement items can be made to feel virtually new for a VERY long time.

Use this website to get your part numbers - realoem.com. It's an amazing resource. Then find the best prices anywhere. I would also put a plug in for FCP Euro - they are close to you, have good pricing, and warranty EVERYTHING they sell to you. Even maintenance items - filters, brakes, and even oil.

Example; at 70k I can tell I need front tension struts and rear subframe inserts plus air springs. I could do just this, but if I do shocks + Struts it will drive like a new car. Decisions, decisions... So, either spend $700 on the NEED to have parts or spend $1300 to include new shocks, struts, and bump stops which in my experience in the past has transformed the handling/ride experience. Luckily I don't have the electronic suspension, which makes replacements very reasonable.

happy motoring and keep the updates flowing - I love it!

Quote:
Thank man. Love the F85 look so in the meanwhile I wrapped it. Didn't know those trims and knee pads cost soo much money. �� ��
Yes, I am shocked there aren't any on the used market available. Nothing on eBay, which is odd, at least for Dakota Black. The price, tho, well... you'll get used to that

Start getting creative with used things and it'll be a fine BMW life for you :-)

Last edited by tlow98; 06-01-2021 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Yeah, that oil pan is a complicated one with the D/S running through it. Even 'regular' ones are $600+. This is why I source so much used stuff. BMW parts are generally very high quality and sourcing used ones mean getting it for 1/3 of the cost but still getting 80% of the usable life of the part. Car-part.com and eBay are both super helpful!

I was left with plugs, all filters, etc from the previous owner. Glad it didn't happen to you - sounds like we made a trade for your oil pan issue. Sounds like you're getting it sorted, tho, which is awesome!

The one tip I'll give is that BMWs are GREAT, RELIABLE machines as long as you keep up on the preventative maintenance and don't cheap out on trans services, etc. They build very durable machines and with the right replacement items can be made to feel virtually new for a VERY long time.

Example; at 70k I can tell I need front tension struts and rear subframe inserts plus air springs. I could do just this, but if I do shocks + Struts it will drive like a new car. Decisions, decisions...

happy motoring and keep the updates flowing - I love it!

Yes, I am shocked there aren't any on the used market available. Nothing on eBay, which is odd, at least for Dakota Black. The price, tho, well... you'll get used to that

Start getting creative with used things and it'll be a fine BMW life for you :-)

I been doing my research slowly. Maintenance won't be a major problem for me since I treat my cars like children and I do everything OEM unless there is a better upgrade part. Have noticed that for BMW most parts, especially cosmetic is better to buy used. My x5 had plugs, coilpacks and the turbo oil line done at the dealer. People tell me I got real lucky. One major flaw and upgrade I will do ASAP is brake pads and rotors. HATE THE BRAKE DUST AND BRAKE NOISE!!!!. Dealer told me brake were almost new and the noise is common on X5 especially in dry non humid days. 🤦🤦Still doing research on that since I have no clue on what brands are good and whay brands will resolve both issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #10
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I been doing my research slowly. Maintenance won't be a major problem for me since I treat my cars like children and I do everything OEM unless there is a better upgrade part. Have noticed that for BMW most parts, especially cosmetic is better to buy used. My x5 had plugs, coilpacks and the turbo oil line done at the dealer. People tell me I got real lucky. One major flaw and upgrade I will do ASAP is brake pads and rotors. HATE THE BRAKE DUST AND BRAKE NOISE!!!!. Dealer told me brake were almost new and the noise is common on X5 especially in dry non humid days. 🤦🤦Still doing research on that since I have no clue on what brands are good and whay brands will resolve both issues.
Nice, sounds great and you are coming up to speed very fast :-)

Here's my piece I mentioned before you updated. Great information in here:
Use this website to get your part numbers - realoem.com. It's an amazing resource. Then find the best prices anywhere. I would also put a plug in for FCP Euro - they are close to you, have good pricing, and warranty EVERYTHING they sell to you. Even maintenance items - filters, brakes, and even oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #11
ggunn9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
I recommend upgrading the charge pipe especially if you are going to tune it.

https://x-ph.com/chargepipes/

I am new to BMW as well. I am coming from sport bike motorcycles for my past speed thrill.

Also, look at Bimmercode to change a few things in the X.

Last edited by ggunn9; 06-01-2021 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #12
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
I need these paint matched reflector's as well. Hook me up with a link.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #13
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Looks great. There was no imperial blue in M-sport, this is Carbon black metallic.
Appreciate 1
ggunn9160.00
      06-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

Quote:
I need these paint matched reflector's as well. Hook me up with a link.
https://ind-distribution.com/product...-reflector-set
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #15
ggunn9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
They also offer the rear ones.

paint matched reflectors

https://www.rgsportshop.com/BMW-F15-...d=472&limit=75
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #16
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunn9 View Post

paint matched reflectors

https://www.rgsportshop.com/BMW-F15-...d=472&limit=75
Thanks! You boys are on it
Appreciate 2
ggunn9160.00
      06-01-2021, 04:54 PM   #17
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Looks great. There was no imperial blue in M-sport, this is Carbon black metallic.
Thanks for the Info. Like I said, new to the bmw world. Would of bought the wrong color reflector covers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:57 PM   #18
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
I recommend upgrading the charge pipe especially if you are going to tune it.

https://x-ph.com/chargepipes/

I am new to BMW as well. I am coming from sport bike motorcycles for my past speed thrill.

Also, look at Bimmercode to change a few things in the X.
Thanks for the info. Have friends that have told me the same thing. Was
also informed that I need to go a step colder in plugs too.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #19
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the Info. Like I said, new to the bmw world. Would of bought the wrong color reflector covers.
Enter your VIN in here and get all the info on your car; Build date, color, all option packages.

https://bimmer.work/

You can then use the last 7 of your VIN in Realoem.com to have all the information and packaging that relates to your build specifically.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Last edited by tlow98; 06-01-2021 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #20
M302_imola
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank man. Love the F85 look so in the meanwhile I wrapped it. Didnt know those trims and knee pads cost soo much money. 🤦 😅
Your wrap job looks great. I'll send you mine to do
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #21
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Your wrap job looks great. I'll send you mine to do
Everything was easy except the center. Tried to remove them to wrap them properly and honestly couldn't get them off. Went into the task with a Honda fan mentally that everything is easy to remove and I quickly learned otherwise. If you are local I can do them for you. Got some leftover 3m wrap. Just bring some Coronas. 🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #22
Revie19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5, 2014 640

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

paint matched reflectors

https://www.rgsportshop.com/BMW-F15-...2&limit=75
Thanks! You boys are on it
Just an FYI, I have a Carbon Black X5 also. If you don't want to pay $200+ for the painted reflectors 3M makes a wrap that I used on mine that matches CB perfectly. Bought a roll on eBay for $18 it's 3M 2080 midnight blue GP272. Let me know if you want pics, Hope this helps!!
Appreciate 0