BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2024, 10:24 AM   #1
LostAussieF85
BMW X5M (F85) & BMW M5 (E60)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M (F85) & BMW M5 (E60)

Replace Parking Brake Switch

Has anyone had to change their own Parking Brake Switch in the center console? How difficult is it? Looking for any quick tips. Mines cracked and Im worried it will soon crumble apart. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2024, 03:48 PM   #2
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
I haven't yet, but it is very easy. On the weekend I removed the console to replace the idrive with the ceramic part and it is easy. Just pull the top trim with your hand slowly and underneath everything just unscrewing and putting it together. Just be careful when removing the connectors especially the one for the /// settings. Good luck.
      02-12-2024, 01:23 AM   #3
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAussieF85 View Post
Has anyone had to change their own Parking Brake Switch in the center console? How difficult is it? Looking for any quick tips. Mines cracked and Im worried it will soon crumble apart. Thanks in advance.
I actually changed mine in my 2018 X5M. It was a little nerve racking but I actually did it and was proud of myself. I rate the job about a 4 to 5 in difficulty. I was afraid of actually cracking something.

I purchased the entire switch new and replaced it. The reason I did replace it was because the actual lever was scratched and it bothered the hell out of me. I tried changing just the lever and ended up cracking one side of the clip inside that holds the lever. At that point I put it back and ordered the entire assembly. It took me a few hours being careful not to break anything important.

I’ll look for the picts so I can post them for you. Hopefully it will help. I’m trying to recall what I did after I installed it because I did have a few error codes but I believe they cleared themselves after turning the car of and back on. I may have drove around the Neighborhood after making sure that the brake worked in my parking spot.
      02-12-2024, 01:57 AM   #4
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAussieF85 View Post
Found some images. I hope this helps to some extent. Be careful once you remove the cover. If I recall correctly do not pull the cover completely off once you snap it out. There are cables attached to it.
Attached Images