BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #1
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Windshield replacement - have anyone done it?

I have cracked windshield (not repairable) and it's a no go in NY, I could get a ticket driving like that. Dealer said it's about $2.2k for OEM or I can go with Geico. I think they work with 3rd party that has non-OEM for about $800.

My question is if OEM windshield is quieter (like it might have extra layer or something) or has something that non-OEM doesn't have? My car is 2014 and at this point I'm ok with non-OEM, unless non-OEM lacks something else other than a BMW logo.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

just make sure the aftermarket glass is made for HUD if u have HUD in ur X5. apparently some ppl have gotten the non hud compatible glass which made the HUD display very dim. members mentioned there is something special in the area where the HUD is projected to so it reflects the HUD display back properly.

check this link, multiple different part numbers for different windshield options.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...47#51317292399
Picasso37.00
      11-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #3
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 35D M Sport

I’ve had three windshield replaced under warranty ( car had 1000km on it ). All three even the new one from BMW dealer are garbage. I clean the crap out of them from brand new and in direct sunlight it is like there are spots. Thousands of specks all over the glass. It’s in between the panels. This is on three new windshield. Only seen in direct sunlight
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep

Name:  CE000E53-32F1-4555-99A9-C8ECD9547B6D.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  512.4 KB
Name:  6707E2F5-88C5-4D07-BFBC-9FAA9BBAB656.jpg
Views: 2073
Size:  471.3 KB

This is window number 2. Clay bared and hours cleaning inside and out. It is in the glass. It was replaced and the same result. Only see it in direct sunlight
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-22-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Picasso
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deiselpwr View Post
I’ve had three windshield replaced under warranty ( car had 1000km on it ). All three even the new one from BMW dealer are garbage. I clean the crap out of them from brand new and in direct sunlight it is like there are spots. Thousands of specks all over the glass. It’s in between the panels. This is on three new windshield. Only seen in direct sunlight
Yes, I see from your pics - there's definitely something wrong. In that case, i might as well try non-OEM, but I'll make sure it's HUD compatible and is indeed reflecting HUD well.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
Quote:
Yes, I see from your pics - there's definitely something wrong. In that case, i might as well try non-OEM, but I'll make sure it's HUD compatible and is indeed reflecting HUD well.
Thank you
In many cases the non OEM glass is from the OEM manufacturer and are identical to OEM.

Ask for the OEM manufacture of the glass and you'll be fine.

I worked like hell going back and forth with progressive but they in the end replaced mine with OEM bmw glass.

The pics the other poster has shown of the spots in the windshield is possibly from a bad batch in your area but mine is flawless in direct sunlight or any light.

Not anything but clarity and I have the hud connected drive windshield whitch is a 1600 dollar windshield.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I've had three windshield replaced under warranty ( car had 1000km on it ). All three even the new one from BMW dealer are garbage. I clean the crap out of them from brand new and in direct sunlight it is like there are spots. Thousands of specks all over the glass. It's in between the panels. This is on three new windshield. Only seen in direct sunlight
Thank you
In many cases the non OEM glass is from the OEM manufacturer and are identical to OEM.

Ask for the OEM manufacture of the glass and you'll be fine.

I worked like hell going back and forth with progressive but they in the end replaced mine with OEM bmw glass.

The pics the other poster has shown of the spots in the windshield is possibly from a bad batch in your area but mine is flawless in direct sunlight or any light.

Not anything but clarity and I have the hud connected drive windshield whitch is a 1600 dollar windshield.
Agreed.

If your deductible is the same for oem or aftermarket, then I would insist on OEM. Insurance co. charges you a premium to insure your BMW, don't let them cheap out.

Fight them and a letter from dealer service manager would help your cause. In fact, many dealers will arrange preferred vendor to help you replace windshield as a free service.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #8
deiselpwr
Private First Class
Rep

BMW replaced two with ones locally then said they brought one in from Europe. I call bullshit. But that is what they said. They brought a rep from HQ in to have a look and he said it is a common problem. Sucks. I detail my car and is always spotless. It sucks having to look thru this glass.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Good advice re HUD. Keep in mind dealers don't actually do a lot of the work they resell. Good chance they farm this out and mark up cost, like with wheel reconditioning, dings and paint. aka the preferred vendor mentioned by jch1511.

If you have a good dealer contact, see if they will tell you who does their windshield work on the DL.Then go direct (or have insurance go direct) and eliminate the middleman.
Picasso37.00
      11-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

Replaced my windshield 3 months ago with Geico as well. I specifically asked for OEM to avoid issues with HUD. They approved it and was installed next day by safe glass.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Picasso
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx-3 View Post
Replaced my windshield 3 months ago with Geico as well. I specifically asked for OEM to avoid issues with HUD. They approved it and was installed next day by safe glass.
Do you have to pay the difference for OEM or your insurance covered it all? Was it in NY by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
Sphinx-3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have to pay the difference for OEM or your insurance covered it all? Was it in NY by any chance?
I just paid my deductible which would have been the same with non-oem.
This was in North Carolina though, but I don't think it would make much difference.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #13
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I had to fight Progressive to get OEM glass. This is where the letter from dealer really helped.

Dealer was NOT the middleman, just helped me out since I am a long time customer.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-24-2019, 12:39 AM   #14
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
This is window number 2. Clay bared and hours cleaning inside and out. It is in the glass. It was replaced and the same result. Only see it in direct sunlight
did u get the dealer to replace your glass or was it from a glass shop?
Picasso37.00
      11-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
Picasso
Private
Rep

Another question to those who replaced windshield. If replacement is done not by BMW, but by a shop (safeglass or others) - do they actually code x5 after replacement to get all the tech working properly again? I've heard you need to code and do some calibration for some sensors and cameras attached to windshield, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.
I just have hard time imagining some glass shop coding and calibrating x5 using INPA or something lol
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another question to those who replaced windshield. If replacement is done not by BMW, but by a shop (safeglass or others) - do they actually code x5 after replacement to get all the tech working properly again? I've heard you need to code and do some calibration for some sensors and cameras attached to windshield, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.
I just have hard time imagining some glass shop coding and calibrating x5 using INPA or something lol
Car needs to go back to dealer to have it recalibrated depending on options you have. Insurance will pay the dealer for that as part of the replacement process.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      11-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Our safe light auto glass actually does the recalibration with their tools and computer. Not the dealer. In fact the dealer even farms that out lol for an up charge of course.

Also dealers don't replace the glass they have a windshield shop come and do it. Again for a ridiculous up charge of course.
Appreciate 1
Picasso37.00
      07-07-2020, 04:57 PM   #18
faz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2018 330i F30

I am including the info below as I am going through the process of replacing the windshield on our 2017 X5 (HUD, no camera). BMW glass part number: 51317292400

State Farm insurance, agent told me OEM (BMW stamped) windshield should be covered. Connected me with a local glass company (this shop gets 5 star rating on local yelp).

Glass company calls me, they checked with Lynx services which is the glass claims arm of State Farm. BMW OEM is not approved, I have to pay $700 or so out of pocket on the part difference. Contacted agent, who gave the Lynx number to me, which they then confirmed MSRP price of $1322, approved amount $687, out of pocket for me to cover the part is $635 (+tax).

Called glass shop again, third party from Chinese brands $280 ish, for premium brand Pilkington (part number for HUD version) about $430 ish which would be covered by insurance in full.

The shop would use the same rain sensor electronics and will use a new pad to install rain sensor to the new glass (apparently that is the same even with the BMW stamped OEM glass). The shop also says they have had no issues with HUD using the premium brands. I don't have a reason to not believe them, they have been very helpful and as mentioned get 5 star all around in their yelp reviews.)

I gave the go ahead with Pilkington as I have heard good things about them online (and even the shop rep said he would gladly put one on his own car), and honestly, I have had enough of dealing with this insurance stuff. Seems like every other year or so one of our cars windshields get hit by a stone and get cracked anyway, (although haven't had a claim in years since frankly I have sold my cars / traded them in before needing to replace glass). If I end up being dissatisfied, will look into changing it again.

Just wanted to post the above to this thread for others' benefit. Will update after all is done.
(Previous: 2011 E90 335d , 2017 F15 X5 x35i , 2011 F10 535i 6spd, 2011 E70 X5 x35i, 2007 E90 328i, 2005 E53 X5 3.0i, )
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #19
uchang76
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F16 M sport 15'

Quote:
I have cracked windshield (not repairable) and it's a no go in NY, I could get a ticket driving like that. Dealer said it's about $2.2k for OEM or I can go with Geico. I think they work with 3rd party that has non-OEM for about $800.

My question is if OEM windshield is quieter (like it might have extra layer or something) or has something that non-OEM doesn't have? My car is 2014 and at this point I'm ok with non-OEM, unless non-OEM lacks something else other than a BMW logo.

Thank you
My car is 2015 X6 with HUD, I replaced the windshield a year ago from Safelite by using Liberty Mutual insurance, the guy told me there is no aftermarket windshield for X6, only OEM one, for your reference.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #20
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I am including the info below as I am going through the process of replacing the windshield on our 2017 X5 (HUD, no camera). BMW glass part number: 51317292400

State Farm insurance, agent told me OEM (BMW stamped) windshield should be covered. Connected me with a local glass company (this shop gets 5 star rating on local yelp).

Glass company calls me, they checked with Lynx services which is the glass claims arm of State Farm. BMW OEM is not approved, I have to pay $700 or so out of pocket on the part difference. Contacted agent, who gave the Lynx number to me, which they then confirmed MSRP price of $1322, approved amount $687, out of pocket for me to cover the part is $635 (+tax).

Called glass shop again, third party from Chinese brands $280 ish, for premium brand Pilkington (part number for HUD version) about $430 ish which would be covered by insurance in full.

The shop would use the same rain sensor electronics and will use a new pad to install rain sensor to the new glass (apparently that is the same even with the BMW stamped OEM glass). The shop also says they have had no issues with HUD using the premium brands. I don't have a reason to not believe them, they have been very helpful and as mentioned get 5 star all around in their yelp reviews.)

I gave the go ahead with Pilkington as I have heard good things about them online (and even the shop rep said he would gladly put one on his own car), and honestly, I have had enough of dealing with this insurance stuff. Seems like every other year or so one of our cars windshields get hit by a stone and get cracked anyway, (although haven't had a claim in years since frankly I have sold my cars / traded them in before needing to replace glass). If I end up being dissatisfied, will look into changing it again.

Just wanted to post the above to this thread for others' benefit. Will update after all is done.
Good luck with the repair. Thanks for the synopsis. I have State Farm too, and will be interested to learn how the repair ultimately turns out for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #21
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

I had the windshield in my X5 (with HUD and cameras) replaced this spring with the Pilkington version. The glass looks great and is quiet, however the edge of the HUD appears to be radiused now. It looks a bit odd. I only notice when changing songs or something like that. Other than that, I cannot tell a difference.

Also, 3 days after my new windshield was put in, I got a rock from a dump truck and put a starburst in my brand new windshield. Safelite wouldn't help with a new windshield or even cover filling the starburst. Paid them $110 out of pocket to repair it since I didn't want two claims in less than a week on my insurance. Windshield replacement cost was calibration and all was like $900.
      11-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
seevs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5e

2nd windshield replacement in 2 years due to random crack

I have a 2019 BMW x5e and in the first year I got a random crack up near the top of the windshield next to the sensor. So, I had it replaced through insurance/safelight. Now, one year later (close) two hairline cracks just appeared at the bottom of the windshield, both coming up laterally in different directions. Nothing hit my windshield at all, I just woke up one morning, went to drive it and found them. I'm really annoyed, wondering if this is a manufacturer's problem if anyone has had similar things happen? Thank you.
Appreciate 0