BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2020, 06:37 PM   #23
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Former owner of an F15 35d. Bought it new and put almost 50K miles it. Relatively trouble free, although it did have emissions parts replaced under warranty, (egr valve, DEF filter).

I'm not sure what part of the world you're in, but US diesels are a real crap shoot in the used market for two reasons: Fuel quality and driving style.

If you live in the Midwest US, the majority of fuel is going to be a biodiesel blend, from 5-20%. BMW engine's simply aren't designed to run on this crap and it wreaks havoc on the emissions system. It's for this reason (and somewhat slow sales) that BMW stopped producing them for the US market.

The second, and harder to discern issue is driving style. If the 35d was used for short trips and to putt around the city, the DPF won't get a chance to regen (burn off) and you end up with a clogged filter and sooty ass combustion chamber. This equates to poor performance and fuel economy, and eventually a $5K-8K dollar repair bill.

I would advise you to steer clear of used diesel BMWs unless you know the provenance and are good friends with an import mechanic.
      07-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #24
Xtcvisions
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

I have a f15 x5 35d myself, i bought it used a week ago, I came from a e70 diesel, first thing i did was all new filters all around, run the fuel to a 1/8th if a tank, then ran a double dose hotshots everyday treatmeant which boosts cetane and has lubrication in it, then will run a single dose from here on out on fill ups.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #25
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
I have no issues with my 2014. It is almost at 86k, checked out the DPF with my Foxwell NT530 and it says the lifetime left on it is 144k 🤷🏽. Just had a full inspection done by BMW and no issues were found with the vehicle.

My NT530 also stated that my DPF was only 8% filled. I tend to leave it on if I'm taking short trips and just lock the doors. Plus I do not use the auto Start/Shut off feature. No issues with power nor emissions and runs fine 🤷🏽.

I plan on keeping this vehicle until it dies. No more upgrades for me 🤙🏽
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 10:04 PM   #26
RedBent
Rep
Drives: Porsche, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Former owner of an F15 35d. Bought it new and put almost 50K miles it. Relatively trouble free, although it did have emissions parts replaced under warranty, (egr valve, DEF filter).

I'm not sure what part of the world you're in, but US diesels are a real crap shoot in the used market for two reasons: Fuel quality and driving style.

If you live in the Midwest US, the majority of fuel is going to be a biodiesel blend, from 5-20%. BMW engine's simply aren't designed to run on this crap and it wreaks havoc on the emissions system. It's for this reason (and somewhat slow sales) that BMW stopped producing them for the US market.

The second, and harder to discern issue is driving style. If the 35d was used for short trips and to putt around the city, the DPF won't get a chance to regen (burn off) and you end up with a clogged filter and sooty ass combustion chamber. This equates to poor performance and fuel economy, and eventually a $5K-8K dollar repair bill.

I would advise you to steer clear of used diesel BMWs unless you know the provenance and are good friends with an import mechanic.
Your post is pretty much exactly what I was expecting to see and, frankly, the reason(s) I'm staying away from the 35D in my search.

I own a Cayenne Diesel at the moment and have been warned about fuel quality in the past and the potential for issues caused by a lot of short trips. To your point, it's really hard to tell how the vehicle was being driven in the past unless you know who you're buying it from so I'm planning to stay away, even though I really like the overall performance of the diesel. Oh, and I enjoy not having to pump gas for my wife every week...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #27
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBent View Post
Your post is pretty much exactly what I was expecting to see and, frankly, the reason(s) I'm staying away from the 35D in my search.

I own a Cayenne Diesel at the moment and have been warned about fuel quality in the past and the potential for issues caused by a lot of short trips. To your point, it's really hard to tell how the vehicle was being driven in the past unless you know who you're buying it from so I'm planning to stay away, even though I really like the overall performance of the diesel. Oh, and I enjoy not having to pump gas for my wife every week...
i really do go back and forth. i hate to be the guy removing emissions systems and i may not- but the flip side argument is that all the emissions created from shipping new parts is worse.

what i may do is register it in florida, and remove the emissions systems- and keep the thing for 100k+

alternative option is trade it in for a raptor or cayenne gts
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:45 PM   #28
RedBent
Rep
Drives: Porsche, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
i really do go back and forth. i hate to be the guy removing emissions systems and i may not- but the flip side argument is that all the emissions created from shipping new parts is worse.

what i may do is register it in florida, and remove the emissions systems- and keep the thing for 100k+

alternative option is trade it in for a raptor or cayenne gts
If my wife gave me the green light to replace her Cayenne with a Raptor, I wouldn't be here right now... haha

Would you be looking at a brand new GTS?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #29
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBent View Post
If my wife gave me the green light to replace her Cayenne with a Raptor, I wouldn't be here right now... haha

Would you be looking at a brand new GTS?
i would go used
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #30
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
I’m not sure this is entirely correct. Diesels have been discontinued due to the emition standards increasing and the aging engine designs not being able to comply and be profitable. Diesels have always been a tough sell in the US however those that know, know. These aren’t diesel converted 4 bolt main Chevy motors.

I love my 2018 f15 35d and won’t give it up. It replaced our 2012 TDi Touareg. We flirt with 18mpg towing our Airstream, close to 20 with my 2002 on a U-Haul trailer and get 26.3 in day to day mixed. Plus it does things (driving wise) that other SUV’s can’t (including the Touareg).

I’m in it for the long haul, so to say.

John
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #31
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

I understand that the M50d on the new model X5’s has ceased production and no longer being sold here in the UK due to emissions.
My dealership has said that they were not sure these would be back in production bearing in mind the M50i is being sold.
So another good reason to hold onto mine which may hold its value going forward.
      04-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #32
kktxod
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5d

160k miles on 2011 X5d E70

I have 160k miles on my 2011 X5d E70. Its been great. I change the oil every 7500 miles. At 100k miles I changed all the fluids including the transmission. Did brake pads, new battery, and had the DEF particulate filter go bad. Dealer charge is about $4000 but i found an independent that used a truck place that heats up the filter and reconditioned it. Total job was about $1500. I replaces one of the front strut mounts. Should have done both but it was a b***ch of a job. Love the car and just gave it to my son. Bought a 2017 X5d.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #33
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

DEF does not have a filter. You probably mean To say DPF.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #34
kktxod
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5d

you must be correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
DEF does not have a filter. You probably mean To say DPF.
you must be correct. It was something to do with the exhaust emissions.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 08:13 PM   #35
leejim
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4M40i & 2012 X535d

BMW Diesel.
Hi I brought a 2013 X5 35d which has done 83k kilometers
( approx 50k miles). I've had it 3 months. I am just so impressed with it I will get a later model one in a year or to. The dealer removed the Blue performance system ( which is allowable in NZ) and said I'm better of without it ? He says better performance , more mpg and less trouble with the horrible exhaust filter thing what ever it's called. I put the required amount of fuel and injector cleaner in and it's running decidedly better. I've changed the transfer case oil and the auto trans oil as we tow a 26' caravan . ( effortlessly to I might add). Ours is the Sports model with bits and pieces of trim front and rear and sides. But most of all has wider 20" wheels front and rear and small wheel arch trims to cover , makes it look mean from the rear especially ! We also have a 2019 X4 M40i , what a car , it's the best car I've ever had and at 78yrs I've had a few ! It's the 4 th BMW I've had.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 03:08 AM   #36
x5d4me
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Have you guys looked into HPR Diesel fuel by propel?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 04:44 AM   #37
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5d4me View Post
Have you guys looked into HPR Diesel fuel by propel?
Propel brand fuel is only available in California, USA.
Appreciate 0