BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico385 View Post
I thought recaro stopped selling in North America
Wow! Havent purchased one in a while, but good to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #24
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

FYI

American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Updates Recommendations on Car Seats for Children

In the updated policy statement, “Child Passenger Safety,” and an accompanying technical report, to be published in the November 2018 issue of Pediatrics (published online Aug. 30), the AAP recommends children remain in a rear-facing car safety seat as long as possible, until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their seat. Previously, the AAP specified children should remain rear-facing at least to age 2; the new recommendation removes the specific age milestone.

“Fortunately, car seat manufacturers have created seats that allow children to remain rear-facing until they weigh 40 pounds or more, which means most children can remain rear-facing past their second birthday,” said Benjamin Hoffman, MD, FAAP, lead author of the policy statement and chair of the AAP Council on Injury, Violence and Poison Prevention. “It’s best to keep your child rear-facing as long as possible. This is still the safest way for children to ride.”

The AAP recommends:
-Infants and toddlers should ride in a rear-facing car safety seat as long as possible, until they reach the highest weight or height allowed by their seat. Most convertible seats have limits that will allow children to ride rear-facing for 2 years or more.
-Once they are facing forward, children should use a forward-facing car safety seat with a harness for as long as possible, until they reach the height and weight limits for their seats. Many seats can accommodate children up to 65 pounds or more.
-When children exceed these limits, they should use a belt-positioning booster seat until the vehicle’s lap and shoulder seat belt fits properly. This is often when they have reached at least 4 feet 9 inches in height and are 8 to 12 years old.
-When children are old enough and large enough to use the vehicle seat belt alone, they should always use lap and shoulder seat belts for optimal protection.
-All children younger than 13 years should be restrained in the rear seats of vehicles for optimal protection.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #25
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
My 3yr old and 4yr old are both under 40lbs, most our seats are rated for rear facing up to 40lbs, cant imagine having them rear facing at this point. We did have them rear facing till almost 2 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
FYI
“Fortunately, car seat manufacturers have created seats that allow children to remain rear-facing until they weigh 40 pounds or more, which means most children can remain rear-facing past their second birthday,”
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #26
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

One of the reasons I got the Nuna Rava is because it allows rear facing up to 50 lbs, One of the seats that allow rear facing up to 50 lbs.
      09-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #27
M3776
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
I had a Chicco keyfit infant car seat but my 3 month old started to cry and looked very uncomfortable recently as he has grown bigger.

After hours of research, I now have a Nuna Rava and my son is extremely happy with the comfort.
NUNA does not recommend using ANY seat protector as it can alter the seats effectiveness in a crash.
      09-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #28
M3776
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 E93 M3

Nuna Pipa Infant Car Seat

PROS:
Large cross compatibility with many strollers.
Isofix-rigid latch built into the base. (easy and secure installation)
Load leg safety feature to reduce forces on baby neck and spine in a collision.
Smaller foot print than other car seats.
One of the lightest on the market.
CONS:
Pricier than other seats
Harder to find in big box stores.

All car seats sold in the US are safe but some like the Pipa have extra features that truly set them apart.

Very pleased.
Attached Images

11-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #29
fotomatt1
Registered
Rep
Drives: want a 328d

I'm glad I found this thread! My wife and I presently have two children....a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Both are forward facing now. My 5 year old daughter is in a Britax Pioneer Click Tight and my son is in a Britax Marathon. They are relatively close together in my 2017 Subaru Forester. It turns out we might have a 3rd child on the way and I don't think the Subaru will accommodate 3 across in any fashion. At one point I had wanted a 328d Wagon, but that is even smaller, which brought me to looking at CPO X5's. I think by the time my daughter is close to 6 she'll be able to switch to a booster. My question is, can I fit 3 across in the X5? (Booster, Infant, Convertible)? All of the websites out there are super confusing. My wife has a Mercedes GLE and I think she'll be fine with her car, but looking like I have to for sure make a change. Thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #30
Stev_chu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Here

Here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #31
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread! My wife and I presently have two children....a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Both are forward facing now. My 5 year old daughter is in a Britax Pioneer Click Tight and my son is in a Britax Marathon. They are relatively close together in my 2017 Subaru Forester. It turns out we might have a 3rd child on the way and I don't think the Subaru will accommodate 3 across in any fashion. At one point I had wanted a 328d Wagon, but that is even smaller, which brought me to looking at CPO X5's. I think by the time my daughter is close to 6 she'll be able to switch to a booster. My question is, can I fit 3 across in the X5? (Booster, Infant, Convertible)? All of the websites out there are super confusing. My wife has a Mercedes GLE and I think she'll be fine with her car, but looking like I have to for sure make a change. Thanks in advance for your help!
Yes, see pics of post #2 on this thread for my F85 with 3 across. F15 has the same backseat as F85.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #32
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Guys, I do this for a living both stateside and Canada and my motto is rear face the longest it works for you. Now if you have a cranky baby who hates seeing the seat and that distracts your driving constantly, you can try front facing as early as allowed by law since technically driver distraction is a whole lot likely to cause an accident. If you have a cheerful young one who just sleeps, please keep them rear facing as long as allowed by age/seat-weight-height-limits.

Clek Foonf user here. Little one loves the height it provides so can look outside the windows.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 2
RatedX0.00
gqgambler716.00
      11-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #33
bmwx1sq
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_chu View Post
Here
I have the same maxi vision seat. Highly recommend it. The wife the bohemian pattern one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:51 PM   #34
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Latch anchors on F15 are extremely accessible. Child seat experience is essentially identical from E70 (both sample cars without 3rd row and without rear comfort seats). Window shades, tinted windows, and black headliner (esp on dark interior) will help to keep the little ones snoozing.

Uppababy Mesa infant carrier - Very simple installation. Seconds with LATCH, and very easy/secure with belt. Variable pitch base. Very happy with this infant carrier in X5 because the Latch access and shape of seat works well with the Mesa base, proved harder to securely mount in some other cars. Available in fire-retardant-free wool trim.

Recaro Performance Ride convertible (in use 5 years)- Happy with this seat rear facing, very happy with this seat forward facing. Still in service as secondary rear facing.

Clek Foonf convertible - So far impressed with this seat after only a few weeks. Rear facing I like the anti-rebound bar, the latch anchors dig into the seat more than I would like. Forward facing this has a rigid mount latch system with integrated crumple zone. Available in fire-retardant-free wool trim. In service primary rear facing.

Recaro Performance Sport booster2 (in use 3 years)- Very happy with this combination harness/booster so far with probably close to 20k seat miles on this model. Rated 20-120lb, still using in harness mode age 2-5. Still in service primary booster.

Recaro Performance Sport booster1 RIP - very happy with the crash worthiness from a frontal offset (opposite side non airbag deploy) impact. Being replaced with a Clek Oobr because Recaro is NLA, but not yet out of a 5-point harness, so can't yet utilize.

Royal Oxford Gorilla 900 car seat protectors I am happy with for the price, and does cover the rebound bar on the Foonf. These do not protect from seat base imprint.

Was drawn to these seats due to the perception of side impact protection, proprietary safety features, child comfort engineering efforts, and materials used.

Last edited by AlpineX; 11-09-2018 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:42 AM   #35
Willietop
Registered
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
I'll lead off...
Switched from a E71 to an F85 for the growing family. Problem was I couldn't fit 3 car seats across the rear with an infant seat in the middle. Now can do so easily in the F85.

Just switched out a convertible car seat for a high back booster to create a little more room. Currently I have installed:
Right rear seat: Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Harness Booster, sitting on a Brica Elite Seat Guardian.
Middle seat: base for Chicco KeyFit 30 seat, sitting on a GO by Goldbug Deluxe Car Seat Protector (more flexible than the Elite). This seat will switch to a Britax Boulevard ClickTight when child outgrows infant carrier.
Left rear seat: Graco TurboBooster LX Backless Booster, sitting on a Eddie Bauer Seat Protector (no back)

The buckles for the F15/F85 sit very flush with bench, so I've ordered a 8" inch rigid seat belt extender to allow my oldest to click in without help, since a seat belt is in use.

Haven't found a good solution to protect the back of the front passenger seats because the F85 headrest don't allow any easy attachment points. Previously in my E71 I used the Brica Deluxe Kick Mats.
How are those graco car seats working out for you? I'm looking for a car seat which can fit 3 across as well.

Sorry for being of topic. I've been doing my phd in car seats for the past few weeks. Who would've thought that these are so difficult. The info that you can get online is quite sketchy. The reviews are boring and are useless they don't mention anything negative. Amazon has gathered all the village idiots and blast car seats that are perfectly fine. After all this time i have managed to short list graco car seats. I've just read a comparison about the best graco car seats and it was different from the rest. They seem to know what they are talking about. What do you think which is the best option?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #36
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

I'm surprised that nobody here mentioned Takata, don't they sell stateside? In Europe they are being sold by dealerships as BMW dedicated and indeed they are excellent, I was very happy with Takata 3 till my younger one outgrown it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #37
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

Nuna Rava & Cybex Aton 2 car seats work great for us. We're both tall, 5'10" and 6'2" and we have plenty of legroom. They fit even better in our E61 wagon.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:43 PM   #38
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlinsky View Post
I'm surprised that nobody here mentioned Takata, don't they sell stateside? In Europe they are being sold by dealerships as BMW dedicated and indeed they are excellent, I was very happy with Takata 3 till my younger one outgrown it.
Not commonly found in the US
      07-12-2020, 12:02 AM   #39
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willietop View Post
How are those graco car seats working out for you? I'm looking for a car seat which can fit 3 across as well.

Sorry for being of topic. I've been doing my phd in car seats for the past few weeks. Who would've thought that these are so difficult. The info that you can get online is quite sketchy. The reviews are boring and are useless they don't mention anything negative. Amazon has gathered all the village idiots and blast car seats that are perfectly fine. After all this time i have managed to short list graco car seats. I've just read a comparison about the best graco car seats and it was different from the rest. They seem to know what they are talking about. What do you think which is the best option?
For the high-back car seat I like the Graco Nautilus and it has served well in multiple cars.
Here are my pluses:
-Relative light weight
-Good upper limit weight to remain in 5 point harness
-Auto harness adjust with head restraint adjustment
-Converts to Booster only when needed
-Armrest (no sharing needed)
-Cupholder integrated in armrest (more for storing toys than drinks)
-Internal armrest storage (again toys for the kids)
-Cost effective (kids will restore seats and these aren't long term investments, all car seats that pass govt standards are appropriate and it comes down to installing them correctly. The most expensive seat is useless and won't protect if not installed correctly.)

Negative:
-doesn't affect me, but latch install. It has a simple belt and nothing fancy for closure (ie suck as Britax Click tight system) so some people struggle getting it tight enough with minimal movement. Just takes patience and it can be done - this is true for any seat.
-Front facing only, so can't use it on little kids; we transitioned to these seats when kids were between 4-5y/o.
-Might be wide for 3 across

I've currently got 3 Graco Nautilus seats installed; 2 Nautilus LX (installed in an X5M and LR4) and a Nautilus(installed in a 4door Wrangler).

Fitting 3 across of any seat is tough. Can I ask the ages of your kids?

Clek promises 3 across with these seats:
https://clekinc.com/products/convertible-seats/fllo/
https://clekinc.com/products/convertible-seats/foonf/

Last edited by gqgambler; 07-12-2020 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:15 AM   #40
RedBent
Rep
Drives: Porsche, Lexus

If you're looking for car seats that you can fit three across a row, check out the Diono Rainier. I believe you can probably fit 3 Diono Rainiers across the second row. Both of my kids (2 and 5) are in Rainiers and we can fit a smaller adult in the middle seat between them; my mom is like 5'4" and probably 130ish (guessing, as I'd never ask my mom her weight... haha) and fit fine between them. This is in Cayenne though, not sure how much difference the interior width of an F15 would be.

The Rainier is a "thinner" design and that was something that mattered when we chose them - just in case my wife or someone needed to sit between the two kids.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:18 AM   #41
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBent View Post
If you're looking for car seats that you can fit three across a row, check out the Diono Rainier. I believe you can probably fit 3 Diono Rainiers across the second row. Both of my kids (2 and 5) are in Rainiers and we can fit a smaller adult in the middle seat between them; my mom is like 5'4" and probably 130ish (guessing, as I'd never ask my mom her weight... haha) and fit fine between them. This is in Cayenne though, not sure how much difference the interior width of an F15 would be.

The Rainier is a "thinner" design and that was something that mattered when we chose them - just in case my wife or someone needed to sit between the two kids.
Do you have the $2200 leather version of that? I have yet to find anyone who has gone for that seat in leather.
The fold and go feature on that seat is nice.
      07-12-2020, 01:30 AM   #42
RedBent
Rep

Quote:
Do you have the $2200 leather version of that? I have yet to find anyone who has gone for that seat in leather.
The fold and go feature on that seat is nice.
No, but we got the $2,700 version with ostrich skin... j/k!

We do have $2K worth of Rainiers though but, hell no, we did not spend $2,200 on a single seat... haha We ended up with 5 (2 for her, 2 for me, and 1 in grandma's car).

I could not fathom spending that much on a car seat after seeing the amount of abuse they take.

The fold and go feature is nice in theory, but I'm not sure how useful that is. I'm not sure if you've ever picked on up, but the seat itself weighs something like 30-35 lbs IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #43
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBent View Post
No, but we got the $2,700 version with ostrich skin... j/k!

We do have $2K worth of Rainiers though but, hell no, we did not spend $2,200 on a single seat... haha We ended up with 5 (2 for her, 2 for me, and 1 in grandma's car).

I could not fathom spending that much on a car seat after seeing the amount of abuse they take.

The fold and go feature is nice in theory, but I'm not sure how useful that is. I'm not sure if you've ever picked on up, but the seat itself weighs something like 30-35 lbs IIRC.
Ostrich skin....
Yeah, multiple seats add up quickly. We currently have 6 seats and that's not included the infant and booster seats we have gone through over the years. We have routinely flown with our seats - painful, awkward, and heavy to lug around the airport but worth it on the plane to keep a kid content and secure as well as better than rental car seats; was thinking the fold and go would be useful for that.
      07-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #44
RedBent
Rep

Quote:
Ostrich skin....
Yeah, multiple seats add up quickly. We currently have 6 seats and that's not included the infant and booster seats we have gone through over the years. We have routinely flown with our seats - painful, awkward, and heavy to lug around the airport but worth it on the plane to keep a kid content and secure as well as better than rental car seats; was thinking the fold and go would be useful for that.
Thinking we'd use it for flying was actually a big reason we liked them. As it turns out, we never used it for that purpose because of all the other crap we lugged through the airports. If we were flying much today it might be more manageable, but pre-COVID, it was just too much of a hassle for us. It is a great option to have that functionality though if you have the patience for it, we don't... haha
Appreciate 0