BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #89
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
I paid $875 for labor at BMW of Peabody which included the coding. They also didn't give me a hard time for swapping out the MPBK rotors for F85 ones. This was the best I could find anywhere in New England including indy shops. Top end of the quotes came back at $1600!
      05-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #90
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
I paid $875 for labor at BMW of Peabody which included the coding. They also didn't give me a hard time for swapping out the MPBK rotors for F85 ones. This was the best I could find anywhere in New England including indy shops. Top end of the quotes came back at $1600!
Is there any braking performance improvement for you, given you have a 50i? I believe the 35i rotors are smaller, but isn't the MPBK the same size as stock 50i? Obviously it's a huge improvement in regards to appearance!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 10:28 PM   #91
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

I'm getting this kit installed right now from the dealer. Pick it up Monday.
Appreciate 1
fr_tz497.00
      05-31-2020, 07:22 AM   #92
HydroStream6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Is there any braking performance improvement for you, given you have a 50i? I believe the 35i rotors are smaller, but isn't the MPBK the same size as stock 50i? Obviously it's a huge improvement in regards to appearance!
It's still a huge upgrade for 50i as well. Rotors are larger, more swept area, etc.
Appreciate 1
jiggz2138.00
      05-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #93
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Probably the best upgrade I've done. I can't comment on the MPBK kit but I have a 6/4 pot set up and the stopping power is insane.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #94
PeteyF15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 F15 Msport

For anyone doing this if you are mechanically inclined and have tools and a friend it’s a fairly easy job. I did HnR springs and all 4 brakes and bled with Motiv bleeder in a day.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #95
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Still getting used to the perceived "softness" in daily driving. When it bites though it bites hard.

Weird thing, after the dealer coded this kit in my back tailgate now beeps when it's closing, never used to do that. Lol (I hate it haha).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:01 PM   #96
sheldonjin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Still getting used to the perceived "softness" in daily driving. When it bites though it bites hard.

Weird thing, after the dealer coded this kit in my back tailgate now beeps when it's closing, never used to do that. Lol (I hate it haha).
Do the brake feel softer compared to the original brake? My brakes feel a bit soft/spongy and I'm planning on switching to MPBK.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #97
DenBel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 50i, F13 650i

For DIYers:
https://rparts-sites.s3.amazonaws.co...structions.pdf

The actual procedure for each step can be found in ISTA or newtis.info by the procedure numbers provided in the document above

Last edited by DenBel; 07-07-2020 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: editing
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #98
Carpe_BM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EX-BMW (2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i)

If the car is equipped with MPPK, it doesn't mean it has M Performance Brake Kit or does it?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 08:44 AM   #99
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

It has.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:28 AM   #100
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe_BM View Post
If the car is equipped with MPPK, it doesn't mean it has M Performance Brake Kit or does it?
No, it doesn't.

There are two separate option.

MPPK

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...w2LWdhcw%3D%3D

MPBK

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...w2LWdhcw%3D%3D
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #101
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroStream6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
It's still a huge upgrade for 50i as well. Rotors are larger, more swept area, etc.
Agreed - huge increase in performance for the 50i.
      07-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #102
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonjin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post

Do the brake feel softer compared to the original brake? My brakes feel a bit soft/spongy and I'm planning on switching to MPBK.
In sub 50mph yes, but remember the breaks essential work twice as well... so they feel "softer", because you're doing less work at the pedal.

Moderately/aggressively use the breaks at a higher speed and then it feels like the opposite...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #103
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Once you get the car coded the pedal feel will be better than stock. Can't wait to hear your before and after coding impressions because so many people discount the fact that coding MPBK is required.

MPBK is still one of the best mods for the F15. The braking and feel improved DRAMATICALLY.

Alan
I was told all that the coding does is to optimize the ABS, DSC and driver-aid settings but the change makes almost no difference in overall performance [between coding and no coding] - on a 50i at least. There is no difference in brake feel or braking ability. I am getting my MPBK installed by a dealer as I write this. The tech installing it also has the same brakes on his F15. I am thinking of getting the MPE next based on how it sounds on his F15 50i when I pick up mine later today.

Last edited by FCX5; 03-26-2021 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #104
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonjin View Post
The MPBK should not feel spongy or softer than the OEM. I believe spongy brakes are either caused by air or low brake fluid level.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #105
nate670
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 50i

I just started researching getting these installed on my 50i. Can anyone speak to a couple of concerns after reading through this thread?

1. Does it always squeak with the MPBK and is it really loud? My wife will hate it cause it'll seem we're driving on bad brakes, it may be a non-starter.

2. How bad is the brake dust issue? I have the 599M wheels and they are dark so I rarely have to clean it as is, so maybe the brake dust won't be so bad with these wheels.

3. How long do these pads last and how much do they cost to replace? Just making sure I go into this with eyes wide open.

Thanks, I tried to google search the last question but I'm not very informed on brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:50 AM   #106
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate670 View Post
I just started researching getting these installed on my 50i. Can anyone speak to a couple of concerns after reading through this thread?

1. Does it always squeak with the MPBK and is it really loud? My wife will hate it cause it'll seem we're driving on bad brakes, it may be a non-starter.

2. How bad is the brake dust issue? I have the 599M wheels and they are dark so I rarely have to clean it as is, so maybe the brake dust won't be so bad with these wheels.

3. How long do these pads last and how much do they cost to replace? Just making sure I go into this with eyes wide open.

Thanks, I tried to google search the last question but I'm not very informed on brakes.
My first short drive from dealer back to home I didn't notice or hear any squeak. Too early to tell about brake dusk, but I am expecting it to be more. The braking feels more assured, especially when you brake from a higher speed. I did a brief slow down from 70. It is replacing almost new brakes in my CPO that I have driven for less than 800 miles now.

I was lucky in that I was able to buy a CPO where the dealer replaced the battery, brakes, tires, door sills and the M-Sport steering wheel among other things. The brakes definitely look nice, even on my 19-inch rims, which I bought after buying my car for winter - which I decided to keep on because they ride smoother than the 21 [which came with the car, with new performance tires].

I'll let you know if I have issues. I got it dealer installed for the warranty and because I knew the tech who was doing the install also had it on an identical X50i. The whole thing cost me, $4,000 and it was after I got a good deal on the brakes. But has a 4-year warranty. Don't really care about re-sale value. Plan to keep it till it runs since I have the CPO wrap warranty as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 11:29 AM   #107
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffrey View Post
Quote:

My first short drive from dealer back to home I didn't notice or hear any squeak. Too early to tell about brake dusk, but I am expecting it to be more. The braking feels more assured, especially when you brake from a higher speed. I did a brief slow down from 70. It is replacing almost new brakes in my CPO that I have driven for less than 800 miles now.

I was lucky in that I was able to buy a CPO where the dealer replaced the battery, brakes, tires, door sills and the M-Sport steering wheel among other things. The brakes definitely look nice, even on my 19-inch rims, which I bought after buying my car for winter - which I decided to keep on because they ride smoother than the 21 [which came with the car, with new performance tires].

I'll let you know if I have issues. I got it dealer installed for the warranty and because I knew the tech who was doing the install also had it on an identical X50i. The whole thing cost me, $4,000 and it was after I got a good deal on the brakes. But has a 4-year warranty. Don't really care about re-sale value. Plan to keep it till it runs since I have the CPO wrap warranty as well.
Initial impression. Slight squeal when I brake, not not loud at all and can't hear even with radio on at low volume. No sponginess and pedal travel is the same as before. Braking quality is better for sure. You can easily feel the difference. As instructed, I am going easy for the first 125 miles while it sets in.

Clear improvement in braking power. Dust is not a big deal so far.

Comes with Brembo instructions. At this point, I am not going to code anything. I can get it coded for free down the road by the dealer, but my tech said he does not recommend it. So I'll wait…
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:15 PM   #108
nate670
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Initial impression. Slight squeal when I brake, not not loud at all and can't hear even with radio on at low volume. No sponginess and pedal travel is the same as before. Braking quality is better for sure. You can easily feel the difference. As instructed, I am going easy for the first 125 miles while it sets in.

Comes with Brembo instructions. At this point, I am not going to code anything. I can get it coded for free down the road by the dealer, but my tech said he does not recommend it. So I'll wait…
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the update! I'm going to get a quote today from my dealer, hopefully he can match the price from getbmwparts.com.

Any particular reason why coding isn't recommended? I thought others with issues said it was because of the coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #109
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the update! I'm going to get a quote today from my dealer, hopefully he can match the price from getbmwparts.com.

Any particular reason why coding isn't recommended? I thought others with issues said it was because of the coding.
Not sure. He just said that on the 17-18 model years it didn't make a difference to code or not to code. So far I haven't seen any down side.

The brakes were the only area where I felt my X5 wasn't as good as my Cayenne S, but the MPBK are even better! Should have been offered as the standard option. The calipers are Brembo and I wonder if these are what are standard on the M50i now. That would make the G05 a really good value. These brakes are worth $4K to me - same as the DHP!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #110
Traveler99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
New Brake Day

Received my MPBK kit! - the boxes are freakin' heavy

Brembo calipers are huge and look really nice!!

Going to try to install in the next few days, looking forward to the increase in braking performance. Stock brakes are shot and not that great to begin with.

Anybody have a DIY write up on this? I can probably figure it out, just might save me some time...Thanks

Name:  IMG_5088.jpeg
Views: 407
Size:  381.3 KB
Appreciate 0