Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Got it to work by pasting it in google. Sounds perfect. And all was done is both mufflers removed and x pipe installed.
Isn't there just 1 muffler?
...yes
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #90
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model S Long Range

Anyone else do this yet? Still trying to find so time to go visit and talk to the shop. Holidays and work messing with my plans.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #91
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
Anyone else do this yet? Still trying to find so time to go visit and talk to the shop. Holidays and work messing with my plans.
I did it 3 days ago, but I was so busy with final week exams that I haven't posted about this experience. So I managed to drop the car at the Pro Muffler shop at Peoria. Left it for half a day and picked it up after classes. $260 for the job, but that includes their X-pipe (I think it's universal one they have in stock) and all the piping required to do the job.

How it's done: so as many of you know 50i has 2 downpipes coming from 2 turbos (one for each 4cyl block) that continue as 2 pipes into 2 resonators (one for each pipe) located roughly in the middle of the car and then pipes go all the way to the muffler. So they go into muffler as 2 separate pipes and this whole way they never cross with each other starting from turbos and ending into the muffler. Right after resonators pipes run very close to each other and that is exactly the place where x-pipe can be welded in (cut pipes and weld in x-pipe)
After that is done, you need to remove muffler (cut it off) and extend pipes (instead of missing muffler) all the way to the tips. So you will need 2 extension pipes of same 2.5 inch diameter (my shop used 3 inch pipes) and they have to be mandrel bent 90 degrees to connect all the way to the tips. And someone have to hold tips straight while pipes are welded to avoid crooked annoying appearance.

That's it basically, they did it in less than 2 hours, but most of time car was sitting in the parking lot waiting for it's turn (they had lots of cars that day).

Now the sound: it for the first time satisfied my inner urge for the deep V8 growl and burble on idle and low rpms. It sounds very deep and nice! It is a bit more louder than the big trucks with V8 you heard like all those domestic full size trucks with V8. However, if you give it a bit more gas it gets substantially noticeable around in traffic. Nothing to extreme - I really like it!
Now the thing is - when you push gas pedal 1/2 way or 3/4 way - that is when n63tu starts growling very angry - I scare trucks now with that sound. Ever noticed some Shelby or Corvette with deep sound making revs and terrorizing traffic and other smaller cars? I let them taste their own medicine - ripped WOT couple of times near them lol to let them taste true German V8 power probably gave them a shell shock as they quickly stop revving, changed lines and fade away in utter surprise on their faces and prefer not to engage
So it's loud at WOT, be warned. But if you drive anywhere up to 3/4 of throttle - it sounds very mellow and deep like a sporty V8 should sound. Turns heads often as I drive as people are not used to such deep sound coming from a German car

I will try to do some videos later, but I'm flying back to NY today for Christmas. Hopefully others will do this mod as this is so far most satisfying mod that I did
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #92
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did it 3 days ago, but I was so busy with final week exams that I haven't posted about this experience. So I managed to drop the car at the Pro Muffler shop at Peoria. Left it for half a day and picked it up after classes. $260 for the job, but that includes their X-pipe (I think it's universal one they have in stock) and all the piping required to do the job.

How it's done: so as many of you know 50i has 2 downpipes coming from 2 turbos (one for each 4cyl block) that continue as 2 pipes into 2 resonators (one for each pipe) located roughly in the middle of the car and then pipes go all the way to the muffler. So they go into muffler as 2 separate pipes and this whole way they never cross with each other starting from turbos and ending into the muffler. Right after resonators pipes run very close to each other and that is exactly the place where x-pipe can be welded in (cut pipes and weld in x-pipe)
After that is done, you need to remove muffler (cut it off) and extend pipes (instead of missing muffler) all the way to the tips. So you will need 2 extension pipes of same 2.5 inch diameter (my shop used 3 inch pipes) and they have to be mandrel bent 90 degrees to connect all the way to the tips. And someone have to hold tips straight while pipes are welded to avoid crooked annoying appearance.

That's it basically, they did it in less than 2 hours, but most of time car was sitting in the parking lot waiting for it's turn (they had lots of cars that day).

Now the sound: it for the first time satisfied my inner urge for the deep V8 growl and burble on idle and low rpms. It sounds very deep and nice! It is a bit more louder than the big trucks with V8 you heard like all those domestic full size trucks with V8. However, if you give it a bit more gas it gets substantially noticeable around in traffic. Nothing to extreme - I really like it!
Now the thing is - when you push gas pedal 1/2 way or 3/4 way - that is when n63tu starts growling very angry - I scare trucks now with that sound. Ever noticed some Shelby or Corvette with deep sound making revs and terrorizing traffic and other smaller cars? I let them taste their own medicine - ripped WOT couple of times near them lol to let them taste true German V8 power probably gave them a shell shock as they quickly stop revving, changed lines and fade away in utter surprise on their faces and prefer not to engage
So it's loud at WOT, be warned. But if you drive anywhere up to 3/4 of throttle - it sounds very mellow and deep like a sporty V8 should sound. Turns heads often as I drive as people are not used to such deep sound coming from a German car

I will try to do some videos later, but I'm flying back to NY today for Christmas. Hopefully others will do this mod as this is so far most satisfying mod that I did

You do the quad tips as well? I know that's what I want to get done. The rest sounds pretty simple. If it is like the SVR then I know it will be good.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #93
TheLastDetailNV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Xdrive50i /2010 BMW M6

Quote:

I am still very satisfied!!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #94
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTWW View Post
You do the quad tips as well? I know that's what I want to get done. The rest sounds pretty simple. If it is like the SVR then I know it will be good.
Haven't ordered double tips yet, for now just stayed with stock ones. Mainly because for some reason it was hard for me to choose which tips will suit x5 rear end best. I'm not good at visualizing
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #95
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Haven't ordered double tips yet, for now just stayed with stock ones. Mainly because for some reason it was hard for me to choose which tips will suit x5 rear end best. I'm not good at visualizing
hurry with the video!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #96
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

Great review!

How about the sound in cabin in terms of scale 1 to 10? Any drones on hwy speed while you are doing 60-80mph in comfort mode?

I am so looking forward to do this mod but my car is still at the dealership waiting to be fixed.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #97
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Great review!

How about the sound in cabin in terms of scale 1 to 10? Any drones on hwy speed while you are doing 60-80mph in comfort mode?

I am so looking forward to do this mod but my car is still at the dealership waiting to be fixed.
All my opinion, so YMMV
Sound in cabin previously was about 2 (on scale 1 to 10) from exhaust standpoint and now it's about 5-6 on average - so yes it's louder. However, I noticed that it's very easy to drive gently and in that case you don't attract attention at all - sound in cabin will be about 3 or 4 at the most. It's mostly when you step on gas pedal when beast wakes up to 6. If you WOT - it's about 7-8 for sure (I reserved 9 and 10 for catless downpipes - they will be a lot louder no doubt). Drone is largely eliminated by resonators still intact - the beauty of this mod I guess. However, there is some drone from time to time - it's not a usual drone, but more a deep bass drone that is hardly noticeable, but it's there sometimes. It's not present all the time, maybe it's not even a drone itself, but just a louder exhaust that is now more audible in cabin - and maybe that's what I'm describing as drone. I'm still not sure completely, I need to drive car more when I get back to test it at 60-80mph highway constant driving speeds. I know for sure that it haven't given me a headache and I'm sensitive person to that. I get headaches from exhausts that are loud but not deep - like Honda fart can exhaust and similar. This mod gets you very compose, but deep sound - and it may register as loud sometimes, but never as something that you want to not hear, in fact it makes you want to hear it more

Last edited by DuSh; 12-18-2017 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #98
TheLastDetailNV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Xdrive50i /2010 BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silververtu View Post
Great review!

I have't experienced any drone while cruising. It basically sounds stock with cruise control set imo. Like DuSH said, it really only gets loud when you go WOT. Even at that point, its a good sound and not obnoxious. The only time I experience some sort of drone (I guess you can call it that) is when I am at 60% throttle or so then its gone after you lift off of the throttle. Honestly, if this mod doesn't satisfy your needs for a louder exhaust, I would just stay stock. It's actually quite subtle at 30-40% throttle during a general move off from a stop. My wife drove it next to me and I could barely hear it. It could have been because my M6 exhaust is quite loud but I barely heard anything. This modification will give you the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 3
DuSh2112.50
      12-20-2017, 01:16 AM   #99
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

do the x5 have the exhaust tone played through the stereo?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 06:24 AM   #100
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
ASD depends on their trim/options. Some do but many don't.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile

Last edited by 6spdcoupe; 12-20-2017 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #101
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
50i does not. doesnt matter if it's m-sport, x-line or plain jane base model.
Appreciate 3
DuSh2112.50
rhite9553.50
      12-20-2017, 07:56 AM   #102
Silververtu
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDetailNV View Post
I have't experienced any drone while cruising. It basically sounds stock with cruise control set imo. Like DuSH said, it really only gets loud when you go WOT. Even at that point, its a good sound and not obnoxious. The only time I experience some sort of drone (I guess you can call it that) is when I am at 60% throttle or so then its gone after you lift off of the throttle. Honestly, if this mod doesn't satisfy your needs for a louder exhaust, I would just stay stock. It's actually quite subtle at 30-40% throttle during a general move off from a stop. My wife drove it next to me and I could barely hear it. It could have been because my M6 exhaust is quite loud but I barely heard anything. This modification will give you the best of both worlds.
Thank you for the detail explanation. This mod is exactly what I am looking for. Coming from Cayman S, I do miss the exhaust sound when driving but it revs at 3k rpm @ 80mph while X5 revs below 2k rpm at the same speed, where drone happens.

Gone but not forgotten:
2006 2.0T A4 Avant, 2007 Z4 Roadster 3.0si, 2006 M Roadster, 2013 550i M Sport, 2015 Cayman S, 2015 X5 50i M Sport
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #103
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Need. to. find. the time. to. do this!!!!

Thanks TheLastDetailNV DuSh for the detailed explanations, answers and videos!!!

Appreciate 2
DuSh2112.50
      12-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #104
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Thinking about getting these tips, you guys !!!

They have LED light inserts and make it look like you're spitting fire all the damn time. Grocery store, spit fire. Dropping kids off at school. Fire. LMAO!!! Can never have too much fire!

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      12-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #105
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Are these knockoffs? Why are these Akra tips 10 times as much?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Akrapov...laBjP1&vxp=mtr

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      12-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #106
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Are these knockoffs? Why are these Akra tips 10 times as much?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Akrapov...laBjP1&vxp=mtr

Yes, they are knockoffs, I just couldn't justify paying $1400 for tips only. Maybe I'm cheap, but this is something I can live with I mean, I would better spent that money towards M Performance brakes
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #107
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDetailNV View Post
Haha I kinda liked that sound - it's like a turbo blow off valve sound combined with burble pops, I did that on purpose many times just to try it
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #108
AZTWW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Going in for surgery on Jan 2. Doing 3.5in staggered quad tips (polished) on mine. I will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      12-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #109
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Those who have completed the muffler delete. How does this 550i with a muffler delete compare?

Similar? Louder? More quiet?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 06:16 PM   #110
DuSh
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Those who have completed the muffler delete. How does this 550i with a muffler delete compare?

Similar? Louder? More quiet?

Thanks!

It sounds similar. It should be - same engine, same turbos, same stock downpipes and same straight pipe with x-pipe. The thing is this video sounds not as deep as it is in real life - I guess recording on a phone cuts low frequency somewhat, but otherwise it's very similar
Appreciate 1