BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #1
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Infant and Child Car Seat Thread - Share Your Experience and Pics

Hi All

I couldn't find a comprehensive ongoing thread, so I thought I would start one for the F15/F85 family haulers out there; figured there are more F15 drivers out there so I choose this forum, but the cars have identical back seats. While the F16/F86 are similar cars, the rear seats are not as roomy and not ideal for 3 car seats, but can be suitable with one or two. Some other BMW forums have similar threads and since this is an SUV forum, I figured a good number of us are hauling around kids in the back seat and could share the advice and experience.

First off, this is not meant to be the bible or gold. Always follow your car seat manufacturer and car manufacturer recommendations for installation and weight limits. Refer to reputable sources for laws and recommendations for car seats and when in doubt find a certified car seat tech. Recommendations are always changing, so what was good last year may no longer be a current recommendation.

Reputable sources may include, but are not limited to:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/car-...-booster-seats
http://cert.safekids.org/
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...-Families.aspx

This thread is meant for people to share there experiences for best fit and protection, but every individual should take responsibility for their seat choices and installation. One of the most important jobs we have as a parent(s) is keeping our child(ren) safe when riding in a vehicle. Each year, thousands of young children are killed or injured in car crashes. Proper use of car safety seats helps keep children safe. Know your seat and know how to secure it.

The majority of F15/F85 have a bench seat with 3 seat belts and 2 LATCH sets. There are 3 top tether anchors for front facing car seats. LATCH is always on the side passenger seats in the second row. LATCH is an attachment system for car safety seats. Lower anchors can be used instead of the seat belt to install the seat, and many parents find them easier to use in some cars. Of note, all lower anchors are rated for a maximum weight of 65 pounds (total weight includes car safety seat and child). However you should never use LACTH in combination with a seat belt. You should use either LATCH or a seat belt for proper installation of a car seat.

The safest place to ride for all children younger than 13 years is the back seat. If possible, it may be best to ride in the middle of the back seat. However, it is sometimes difficult to install a car safety seat tightly in the middle if the vehicle seat is narrow (yes, this is the F15/F85) or uneven. Also, many vehicles do not have lower anchors for the middle seating position. It is safest to put the car safety seat in a position where you can install it tightly with either the lower anchor system or seat belt; in some cases, this may be on either side of the back seat rather than the middle. Remember, a child passenger safety technician (CPST) can help you decide which place is best to install your child's car safety seat in your vehicle.

What seat works best for you, your partner, and your future offspring? Go to your local store and test them out yourself after viewing forum advice.
Appreciate 1
RatedX0.00
      09-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

I'll lead off...
Switched from a E71 to an F85 for the growing family. Problem was I couldn't fit 3 car seats across the rear with an infant seat in the middle. Now can do so easily in the F85.

Just switched out a convertible car seat for a high back booster to create a little more room. Currently I have installed:
Right rear seat: Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Harness Booster, sitting on a Brica Elite Seat Guardian.
Middle seat: base for Chicco KeyFit 30 seat, sitting on a GO by Goldbug Deluxe Car Seat Protector (more flexible than the Elite). This seat will switch to a Britax Boulevard ClickTight when child outgrows infant carrier.
Left rear seat: Graco TurboBooster LX Backless Booster, sitting on a Eddie Bauer Seat Protector (no back)

The buckles for the F15/F85 sit very flush with bench, so I've ordered a 8" inch rigid seat belt extender to allow my oldest to click in without help, since a seat belt is in use.

Haven't found a good solution to protect the back of the front passenger seats because the F85 headrest don't allow any easy attachment points. Previously in my E71 I used the Brica Deluxe Kick Mats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cncmastr1588.50
      09-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #3
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Some other short threads on the forum:
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1456187
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=car+seat
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Recaro child seats for us. From the infant to the boaster seats, they have been great!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
euro-r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW X5 | MSport | MPPK

Clek Foonf
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #6
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
I trust only Roemer/Britax and nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
The safest place to ride for all children younger than 13 years is the back seat.
My daughter overgrown my wife when she was 12... And was not fitting into a child seat since 8. So I don’t think it’s correct to measure it according to the age... Many countries set a limit for a child seat of 135 cm (about 53 in).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
My daughter overgrown my wife when she was 12... And was not fitting into a child seat since 8. So I don’t think it’s correct to measure it according to the age... Many countries set a limit for a child seat of 135 cm (about 53 in).
I agree! Its about the height and weight, never go by age.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I had a Chicco keyfit infant car seat but my 3 month old started to cry and looked very uncomfortable recently as he has grown bigger.

After hours of research, I now have a Nuna Rava and my son is extremely happy with the comfort.
Attached Images

09-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
tkelley86
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

Quote:
I'll lead off...
Switched from a E71 to an F85 for the growing family. Problem was I couldn't fit 3 car seats across the rear with an infant seat in the middle. Now can do so easily in the F85.

Just switched out a convertible car seat for a high back booster to create a little more room. Currently I have installed:
Right rear seat: Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Harness Booster, sitting on a Brica Elite Seat Guardian.
Middle seat: base for Chicco KeyFit 30 seat, sitting on a GO by Goldbug Deluxe Car Seat Protector (more flexible than the Elite). This seat will switch to a Britax Boulevard ClickTight when child outgrows infant carrier.
Left rear seat: Graco TurboBooster LX Backless Booster, sitting on a Eddie Bauer Seat Protector (no back)

The buckles for the F15/F85 sit very flush with bench, so I've ordered a 8" inch rigid seat belt extender to allow my oldest to click in without help, since a seat belt is in use.

Haven't found a good solution to protect the back of the front passenger seats because the F85 headrest don't allow any easy attachment points. Previously in my E71 I used the Brica Deluxe Kick Mats.
Hauling my future kids in an X5M just became my newest life goal...
Appreciate 1
CatalinP589.50
      09-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My next SUV will have to be a size bigger. My wife just isn’t comfortable with the baby sitting behind her.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post
Recaro child seats for us. From the infant to the boaster seats, they have been great!

I thought recaro stopped selling in North America
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #13
firstbimmer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 & '15 f15 X5 35i x

Yep. We loved our recaro in the m3. Went to get another for the x5 and they don't sell in US anymore. If you see any for sale, they are not officially backed by recaro. Considered just buying one online and have it shipped, but in the end decided to get something that is tested and reviewed for this market.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry, you are wrong on this point. Actually its, not about just height and weight but some state laws (or your Provinces/Territories if you live in Canada) prohibit it. So check with your state/provinces/territories. For example, Maine law doesn't allow children to sit in the front seat until the child is age 12 or 100 pounds. Washington law doesn't allow children to sit in the front seat of the car until age 13.
https://saferide4kids.com/car-seat-laws-by-state/

The Centers for Disease Control, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and, most likely, even your airbag and car manufacturer recommend keeping children under age 13 in the back seat.

In fact it has much more than age, height, weight or laws. 3 important points that you probably aren't considering, with the 3rd being the most significant for the safety of kids.
1. The back seat is the safest place for your children — actually safer for everyone regardless of age, height or weight — because most crashes occur in the front of the car and the back seat is farthest from this impact.
2. Air bags are designed for a 140-pound man wearing a seat belt.
3. And from a medical standpoint, Bone development and Maturity. Kids may be as big as adults on the outside but their skeletal system is still developing and thus may not withstand the same impact an adult would/can.

Last edited by gqgambler; 09-10-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
CatalinP589.50
RatedX0.00
      09-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #15
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-solo View Post
I agree! Its about the height and weight, never go by age.
I'm sorry, you are wrong on this point. Actually its, not about just height and weight but some state laws (or your Provinces/Territories if you live in Canada) prohibit it. So check with your state/provinces/territories. For example, Maine law doesn't allow children to sit in the front seat until the child is age 12 or 100 pounds. Washington law doesn't allow children to sit in the front seat of the car until age 13.

The Centers for Disease Control, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and, most likely, even your airbag and car manufacturer recommend keeping children under age 13 in the back seat.

In fact it has much more than age, height, weight or laws. 3 important points that you probably aren't considering, with the 3rd being the most significant for the safety of kids.
1. The back seat is the safest place for your children — actually safer for everyone regardless of age, height or weight — because most crashes occur in the front of the car and the back seat is farthest from this impact.
3. And from a medical standpoint, Bone development and Maturity. Kids may be as big as adults on the outside but their skeletal system is still developing and thus may not withstand the same impact an adult would/can.

Last edited by gqgambler; 09-10-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #16
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmexico385 View Post
I thought recaro stopped selling in North America
That's correct. After a long protracted fight with the NHTSA involving a large recall, Recaro withdrew from US sales for their entire business.
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/b...at-recall.html
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So check with your state.

Last time I’ve checked there were no states in Canada.
Maverik2594140.00
      09-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #18
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Last time I’ve checked there were no states in Canada.
Correct you don't have states in Canada (I've amended my previous posts for clarity), but your Provinces/Territories do have laws as well. Doesn't diminish the fact we are talking about child safety here. Laws or no laws, car seats are to keep the kids safe.

Last edited by gqgambler; 09-10-2018 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
How is that infant base in the middle secured? Doesnt look like its via the seat belt?

Quote:
I'll lead off...

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
In the X5 we have Diono Radian RXT seats on each side, they're the best for still giving room for a reasonably sized adult to sit in the middle between them.

In the i3 & M5 we have Micro Cosi Pria 70/85 seats. Really nice cushy seats but big. They barely fit in the 135 when I move them from the M5.

Nanny uses a Britax seat and some other one I cant remember what it is, Britax was the first conv seat we bought and the other was just to give the nanny a 2nd seat. The unknown seat has self retracting latch belts which is a nice feature.

When they were infants we had a Britax one for the most part and another one that fit in the 2 kid sit & stand.

Our sit & stand stroller, hate it, it barely fits in the back of the X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
In the X5 we have Diono Radian RXT seats on each side, they're the best for still giving room for a reasonably sized adult to sit in the middle between them.

In the i3 & M5 we have Micro Cosi Pria 70/85 seats. Really nice cushy seats but big. They barely fit in the 135 when I move them from the M5.

Nanny uses a Britax seat and some other one I cant remember what it is, Britax was the first conv seat we bought and the other was just to give the nanny a 2nd seat. The unknown seat has self retracting latch belts which is a nice feature.

When they were infants we had a Britax one for the most part and another one that fit in the 2 kid sit & stand.

Our sit & stand stroller, hate it, it barely fits in the back of the X5.
I think you may have the EvenFlo seat with what they refer to as SureLATCH that automatically retracts and tightens. Used one with the first kid, it is a nice feature that makes installing and tightening the seat easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #22
e-solo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

All good points. But for the most part height and weight are far more indicative of safety than age. Also, common sense is probably the most important factor. Who would put a kid that weights 140 lbs (not sure who's kid weighs this much, but if a kid does weigh that much there are bigger problems to deal with than a car seat) in the front seat.
Appreciate 0