BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Goodfella10
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Tuned my F15 50i - BM3

Greetings all,

I figured I would share my protuningfreaks (BootMod3 - BM3) experience with everyone here.
After evaluating a few different tunes (piggyback, flash), I decided to give BM3 a shot. I already owned an ENET to OBD, laptop, and had the app downloaded.

I went ahead and made the purchase ~$900 for the tune license. I figured I would pay $900 for a new license considering I still have one transfer in it *resale value of $500+* So in the end, if I use the license and resell it when im done with it my total investment was a couple hundred not the original $900.

I sucessfully "loaded" the tune onto the car and went out for a ride, the vehicle pulled but would cut out on WOT and throw a drive train malfunction error. I reached out to PTF, sent them the codes that were being thrown (miss fire on cylinder 5) within a few minutes someone got back to me (this was a Saturday - not even during support hours). They advised that I take a look at my plugs (precisely number 5 but check all of them). I advised them that I could not do a plug change until the following week.

Fast forward one week, and I changed my plugs (old plugs were fried). I replaced my plugs with some NGK 97506 (replaced all eight at about $15/each).

Time for another ride with some hard pulls. Get on the road and hit it! The reaction on my face *HOLY ***** *** *** ******* now this is worth every penny*.

The car is a whole new ***** monster. It just digs and pulls endlessly. The responsivness is insane! It's like a new car. Im not craving any more power at the moment, im just craving nice open, empty road .

Hats off to the ProTuningFreaks team. The product and support are A+. The support team is very knowledgeable, willing to help, and they go the extra mile to make sure you're satisfied. They stand behind the product they sell.

If anyone has had any hesitations, I kid you not, do not hesitate and give it a go! You will not regret it!

All the best,
Appreciate 6
NYC_X5371.00
hufington3120.50
CT335xi684.00
      06-26-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Shameless plug: I have an unused license for sale for $800 here in the forum if anyone is looking
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
Koer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 2014 Sec. 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
Greetings all,

I figured I would share my protuningfreaks (BootMod3 - BM3) experience with everyone here.
After evaluating a few different tunes (piggyback, flash), I decided to give BM3 a shot. I already owned an ENET to OBD, laptop, and had the app downloaded.

I went ahead and made the purchase ~$900 for the tune license. I figured I would pay $900 for a new license considering I still have one transfer in it *resale value of $500+* So in the end, if I use the license and resell it when im done with it my total investment was a couple hundred not the original $900.

I sucessfully "loaded" the tune onto the car and went out for a ride, the vehicle pulled but would cut out on WOT and throw a drive train malfunction error. I reached out to PTF, sent them the codes that were being thrown (miss fire on cylinder 5) within a few minutes someone got back to me (this was a Saturday - not even during support hours). They advised that I take a look at my plugs (precisely number 5 but check all of them). I advised them that I could not do a plug change until the following week.

Fast forward one week, and I changed my plugs (old plugs were fried). I replaced my plugs with some NGK 97506 (replaced all eight at about $15/each).

Time for another ride with some hard pulls. Get on the road and hit it! The reaction on my face *HOLY ***** *** *** ******* now this is worth every penny*.

The car is a whole new ***** monster. It just digs and pulls endlessly. The responsivness is insane! It's like a new car. Im not craving any more power at the moment, im just craving nice open, empty road .

Hats off to the ProTuningFreaks team. The product and support are A+. The support team is very knowledgeable, willing to help, and they go the extra mile to make sure you're satisfied. They stand behind the product they sell.

If anyone has had any hesitations, I kid you not, do not hesitate and give it a go! You will not regret it!

All the best,
Were you able to unlock your ECUs? i thought most of us were stuck with the 2019 update that blocked OBD flashing. How did you get around this?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella10 View Post
Greetings all,

All the best,
Thanks for the review, I know there are plenty out there but glad your digging the tune! I’m definitely going to get one for mine and leaning more and more toward the BM3.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I just jumped over to bm3 too from Racechip Gts black.

Had the exact same issue as you with stumbling and codes when going wot. The plugs only have about 5k miles on them (ngk 97506) but they were gapped to about . 65mm and obviously the car didn't like that with the stage 2 tune. Gapped them all down to . 55mm and I can concur your sentiment, the car pulls very hard vs the Racechip.

Only have about 30 miles of driving on it so we will see how things progress. I imagine this tune is way more finicky with plugs so I'll be ready to change them around every 20k miles or when it starts tossing codes again.
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      06-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
Bure@
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m5; 2016 BMW X6 xdriv

Very original question, what about the warranty? I have third part extended warranty and thinking for couple weeks already, "to be or not to be"?! What are you guys thinking?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #7
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure@ View Post
Very original question, what about the warranty? I have third part extended warranty and thinking for couple weeks already, "to be or not to be"?! What are you guys thinking?
I’m in the same situation just got a extended warranty with Continental thru my BMW dealership last fall thats good thru 10/22 , but would love to do the BM3 just concerned if I have a issue. Obviously I would flash back to stock, but always hear they will know or some may not care.
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure@ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
I’m in the same situation just got a extended warranty with Continental thru my BMW dealership last fall thats good thru 10/22 , but would love to do the BM3 just concerned if I have a issue. Obviously I would flash back to stock, but always hear they will know or some may not care.
I think it all depends on what is wrong with your vehicle and how lenient your dealership is. For example: if you just have some misfires or other fairly minor engine abnormality, and you flash back to stock, your dealership will probably not deep dive in to the computer and discover the tampered ECU. Repairs will likely be covered. But, if you have a hole in your hood from a piston departing the block, you bet your sweet tushy that the tech will do a thorough investigation into the cause that will likely include a detailed inspection of the computer. In that case, I would not expect the warranty to cover you.

It really all comes down to how confident you are with the strength of your drivetrain and how comfortable you are with the remote possibility of a high repair bill should something catastrophic happen. For me, I am running the more conservative Stage 1, 91 tune (even though I run high quality 93 octane fuel) and am not the least bit worried. I am out of warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieF15 View Post
My x5 50i also misfired when I first got it.
What was the culprit? Plugs, coils? Were you able to get it sorted out?
CT335xi684.00
Picasso37.00
HJ478.00
      06-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #9
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Only have about 30 miles of driving on it so we will see how things progress. I imagine this tune is way more finicky with plugs so I'll be ready to change them around every 20k miles or when it starts tossing codes again.
Not the tune itself, but it's the much higher boost. Increased boost (basically a highly compressed mix of air pushed inside under huge pressure) just prevents spark from conducting successfully across center and ground electrodes on spark plug and you get misfire. Notice it happens usually only under increased boost (like WOT and metal to the pedal etc)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #10
Picasso
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
I think it all depends on what is wrong with your vehicle and how lenient your dealership is. For example: if you just have some misfires or other fairly minor engine abnormality, and you flash back to stock, your dealership will probably not deep dive in to the computer and discover the tampered ECU. Repairs will likely be covered. But, if you have a hole in your hood from a piston departing the block, you bet your sweet tushy that the tech will do a thorough investigation into the cause that will likely include a detailed inspection of the computer. In that case, I would not expect the warranty to cover you.

It really all comes down to how confident you are with the strength of your drivetrain and how comfortable you are with the remote possibility of a high repair bill should something catastrophic happen. For me, I am running the more conservative Stage 1, 91 tune (even though I run high quality 93 octane fuel) and am not the least bit worried. I am out of warranty.
I completely agree. The only thing I would add on lol is that it's not "remote possibility" but a very high chance of that happening on Stage 2.
n63tu inherently has huge amount of torque and it's a killer of rods. They will bend, not a matter of if, but when.
That's why I stay either on Stage 1 or stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #11
adonnan
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 E91

I too just installed catless downpipes from RPM (they fit, but you don't use the supplied brackets), NGK 97506 gapped to .020 and 93 octane stage 2 tune from Bootmod3. after driving it a day, I gave it full throttle in third gear and got 152D08 Super knocking: Injection shutdown on three different cylinders. I may try gapping the plugs to something less tight than .020, but to be safe I just flashed 91 octane stage 2 tune for the time being and no CEL, or noticeable issues. I guess the last fillup of QuikTrip 93 isn't as good as the tune wants it to be, or that flash is simply too much for the motor.

Anyone else have this issue with stage 2? Time to read up on other forums where this motor is more commonly modified and reported on.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #12
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
I'm beginning to think that stage 2 93 octane is just a little too aggressive for our vehicles. I'll be interested to see if stage 2 91 octane remains knock free for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #13
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Has anyone getting misfires checked what their voltage was at the time? On the previous Gen, the algorithm BMW used was an absolute JOKE, I would catch the voltage dropping below 11 volts under full throttle and cruising conditions all the time....gotta save that .05% in fuel! Turning on your headlights and foglights would override the "intelligent" charging system and force the alternator to pump out 12.6v continuous.

To put this in perspective why a few volts is so important, 2 volts is around 6,000 to 8,000 volts difference at your spark plug. That's the difference between the spark actually occuring at high boost or not firing at all... something to think about if the F15 uses the same charging system or even worse, disables the alternator at full throttle like in some models (save 5hp at the cost 50hp in misfires, bloody brilliant!).

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 06-30-2020 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      06-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #14
adonnan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
I'm beginning to think that stage 2 93 octane is just a little too aggressive for our vehicles. I'll be interested to see if stage 2 91 octane remains knock free for you.
I'm not pushing it too hard in this 90 degree weather, but I've done a few pulls and so far no CEL. I'm not an expert at reading logs to make any further judgements.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
adonnan
Private
Rep

Ok, went down to stage 1 93 octane until I can gap the plugs to a wider spec. Didn’t throw a check engine light but definitely had a power blip on full throttle today. Also recommend limiting boost in first and second gear. It’s just so much power for normal use. Woof.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #16
Picasso
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
I too just installed catless downpipes from RPM (they fit, but you don't use the supplied brackets), NGK 97506 gapped to .020 and 93 octane stage 2 tune from Bootmod3. after driving it a day, I gave it full throttle in third gear and got 152D08 Super knocking: Injection shutdown on three different cylinders. I may try gapping the plugs to something less tight than .020, but to be safe I just flashed 91 octane stage 2 tune for the time being and no CEL, or noticeable issues. I guess the last fillup of QuikTrip 93 isn't as good as the tune wants it to be, or that flash is simply too much for the motor.

Anyone else have this issue with stage 2? Time to read up on other forums where this motor is more commonly modified and reported on.

Yep. Tune is way too aggressive, higher boost blows spark plugs, while 93 octane isn't good enough for the timing that Stage 2 tune uses. yes it does dial back timing, but remember that knock sensor isn't as fast to completely save you from knock. Knock happens first and only then tune will dial it back. Most of time it works, until it's not. And then you get bent rod. Here's what will happen when rod is bent: you'll get the usual malfunction lights and warning. You'll stop and restart thinking it will go away, only it will not go away. Engine will work like it still has a misfire and it will have that light vibration. No matter of reflash or going back to stock will make it go away. After that you'll go to the shop asking to check spark plugs or coils - hoping it's not rod knocking. They will quickly pop the oil cap and use boroscope to check cylinder walls and ............. BAM - you have a scorched cylinder wall and engine is done. Your mind will realize you are fucked $$$$
You'll try to frantically think how to scam dealership to make it look like it's not your fault lol. You'll have to change all spark plugs back to stock ones (hopefully you didn't just throw them away did you? And nope, putting new ones will only cause even more suspicion). Then you'll try to flash it back and lock it like BM3 says lol. It might work, until it won't. Dealers have 100% way to find out and bust your sorry ass for lying to them. You can even reset flash counter lol and reset all red flags like speed limiter, max boost etc. There's a small chance a dealer who doesn't care might not go looking deep into it. However, if they do - you are looking at the long block with labor. That's probably more than your sorry X5 costs right now. Yep, this is the reality of new BMW long block price for n63tu and labor (which isn't cheap). All that you'll have you do while car is still running 10mph with bent rod. becuase if it's not - you'll be calling tow trucks like Uber for every move lol.
And then sitting tired in the evening and thinking of options left and how much $$$$ you just thrown to garbage and still have no car that even runs lol - you might come to conclusion that maybe just maybe it wasn't worth it to play macho with your 5500lbs SUV that isn't beating any records to begin with anyway. Like for what? To impress some Ford Mustang owner lol? Come on man.
Moral of story: Stay with Stage 1 and be happy.

P.S. And nope, there aren't any other forums that have more info on n63tu.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso View Post
Yep. Tune is way too aggressive, higher boost blows spark plugs, while 93 octane isn't good enough for the timing that Stage 2 tune uses. yes it does dial back timing, but remember that knock sensor isn't as fast to completely save you from knock. Knock happens first and only then tune will dial it back. Most of time it works, until it's not. And then you get bent rod. Here's what will happen when rod is bent: you'll get the usual malfunction lights and warning. You'll stop and restart thinking it will go away, only it will not go away. Engine will work like it still has a misfire and it will have that light vibration. No matter of reflash or going back to stock will make it go away. After that you'll go to the shop asking to check spark plugs or coils - hoping it's not rod knocking. They will quickly pop the oil cap and use boroscope to check cylinder walls and ............. BAM - you have a scorched cylinder wall and engine is done. Your mind will realize you are fucked $$$$
You'll try to frantically think how to scam dealership to make it look like it's not your fault lol. You'll have to change all spark plugs back to stock ones (hopefully you didn't just throw them away did you? And nope, putting new ones will only cause even more suspicion). Then you'll try to flash it back and lock it like BM3 says lol. It might work, until it won't. Dealers have 100% way to find out and bust your sorry ass for lying to them. You can even reset flash counter lol and reset all red flags like speed limiter, max boost etc. There's a small chance a dealer who doesn't care might not go looking deep into it. However, if they do - you are looking at the long block with labor. That's probably more than your sorry X5 costs right now. Yep, this is the reality of new BMW long block price for n63tu and labor (which isn't cheap). All that you'll have you do while car is still running 10mph with bent rod. becuase if it's not - you'll be calling tow trucks like Uber for every move lol.
And then sitting tired in the evening and thinking of options left and how much $$$$ you just thrown to garbage and still have no car that even runs lol - you might come to conclusion that maybe just maybe it wasn't worth it to play macho with your 5500lbs SUV that isn't beating any records to begin with anyway. Like for what? To impress some Ford Mustang owner lol? Come on man.
Moral of story: Stay with Stage 1 and be happy.

P.S. And nope, there aren't any other forums that have more info on n63tu.
Dude why such the negativity? I’m sure most these guys running tunes know the consequences, it almost seems like you want the guy to blow up his engine . Relax and enjoy your stock tune , but can you stop with negative comments already.
2014 x5 50i msport

Last edited by CT335xi; 07-01-2020 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #18
Picasso
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
Dude why such the negativity? I’m sure most these guys running tunes know the consequences, it almost seems like you want the guy to blow up his engine . Relax and enjoy your stock tune , but can stop with negative comments already.
Yeah, maybe it was too harsh lol. All I'm saying to stay on Stage 1, because I personally know 2 guys who bent rod on Stage 2 on n63tu X5 from THIS forum.
I'm not against tunes, but I just don't want others to suffer. yes, they should know consequences, but often they don't listen to that tiny voice of reason in their head.
I'll stop with negative comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 09:19 PM   #19
CT335xi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, maybe it was too harsh lol. All I'm saying to stay on Stage 1, because I personally know 2 guys who bent rod on Stage 2 on n63tu X5 from THIS forum.
I'm not against tunes, but I just don't want others to suffer. yes, they should know consequences, but often they don't listen to that tiny voice of reason in their head.
I'll stop with negative comments.
Cool ! You know the old saying you have to pay to play. Hopefully none of these guys will experience any issues . Happy tuning
2014 x5 50i msport

Last edited by CT335xi; 07-02-2020 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #20
ProjektAutoScott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
They will quickly pop the oil cap and use boroscope to check cylinder walls and ............. BAM - you have a scorched cylinder wall and engine is done.
I still can’t get over this part. Please explain your magic way of just "quickly" checking the cylinder walls with a boroscope from the oil fill cap. I might listen to your advice after all if you can explain what you are talking about.

A well sorted, mild stage 1 or a perfected stage 2 tune never hurt no n63tu. You’ve already got a forged crank, and rods + updated, oil cooled pistons. Yes you sacrifice a little longevity, as with any engine producing more power, but if you are so worried about that you bought the wrong car. This is an engine that BMW designed with plenty of headroom. If you blow it up by detonation, that is the fault of your tuning choice, and yourself, not the engine.

Last edited by ProjektAutoScott; 07-01-2020 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
CT335xi684.00
      07-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #21
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjektAutoScott View Post
I still can’t get over this part. Please explain your magic way of just "quickly" checking the cylinder walls with a boroscope from the oil fill cap. I might listen to your advice after all if you can explain what you are talking about.

A well sorted, mild stage 1 or a perfected stage 2 tune never hurt no n63tu. You’ve already got a forged crank, and rods + updated, oil cooled pistons. Yes you sacrifice a little longevity, as with any engine producing more power, but if you are so worried about that you bought the wrong car. This is an engine that BMW designed with plenty of headroom. If you blow it up by detonation, that is the fault of your tuning choice, and yourself, not the engine.
Hopefully he meant sparkplugs btw for anyone interested, this dual lens borscope is awesome for checking the condition of your pistons, valves, and cylinder walls yourself. There are some cheaper ones up on Amazon now too but can't speak for those as I have only used this one but quality of the unit and images are excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Bores.../dp/B07SQ4FLYX
Appreciate 2
CT335xi684.00
Picasso37.00
      07-01-2020, 07:57 PM   #22
Picasso
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Hopefully he meant sparkplugs btw for anyone interested, this dual lens borscope is awesome for checking the condition of your pistons, valves, and cylinder walls yourself. There are some cheaper ones up on Amazon now too but can't speak for those as I have only used this one but quality of the unit and images are excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Bores.../dp/B07SQ4FLYX
Yes, meant spark plug of course. And our "forged" rods are not really forged guys. Here's a quick comparison of our "forged" rod with a proper forged rod that will withstand abuse. Yes, that's bent one on n63tu. BMW didn't really wnated to make n63tu or even s63tu a good engine with a "headroom". Nope. This is like a poor piston/rod skipped a leg day in gym for 20 years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0