BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Angry Fan status changed after reprogramming!!!

So, I had to bring in the car to have the ribbon cable on the steering wheel changed and for that they had to re-program the car...
side effects?
The fan now turns on everytime I turn on the vehicle REGARDLESS of the status it was in previously. This was not the case before reprogramming.
If the fan/AC was turned off, it would remain off next time you turn on the vehicle and vise versa.
Any one else has this problem? how do we fix it?

YOU NEVER GET YOUR CAR BACK ONCE YOU TAKE IT TO ANY DEALERSHIP!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
So the service tells me it could be a setting that has been changed!!!
Does anyone know, if there's a setting that we can change to revert it back to the original setting?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
jc68
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F15 X5, 991.2 GT3

My X5 was built the first week of April and the fan turns on with the car, even though I turn it off when I shut off the car. I too am curious if this can be default to the last setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The dealer says, BMW gives us new firmwares that may be different than previous...so when we reprogram the system we can't really change/control some elements within the setting...it is how the updated version is sent to us by BMW!
So if that is the case, is BMW really doing this on purpose??? what's the advantage???
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Mine was a mid April build, but the fan always comes on when I started the car. Same with my 2011 X5. I set the fan on low and it's nice to have some fresh air coming in. On the other hand, if you don't want that setting, you should be able to disable it somehow. I assume you switched the AUTO control off and turned the fan off before you exited the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Mine was a mid April build, but the fan always comes on when I started the car. Same with my 2011 X5. I set the fan on low and it's nice to have some fresh air coming in. On the other hand, if you don't want that setting, you should be able to disable it somehow. I assume you switched the AUTO control off and turned the fan off before you exited the vehicle.
No, it has nothing to do with Auto being ON/OFF...
the fan turns on regardless after every start up...
Again, it wasn't like this before reprogramming...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

OK, I was curious so I tried something.
I turned the fan all the way off, in other words shut down the system entirely. No fan, no air and it worked. I shut off the car, let it sit for about a minute started it up and no fan, no nothing until I pressed the fan button again. I don't know if this is what you are talking about.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK, I was curious so I tried something.
I turned the fan all the way off, in other words shut down the system entirely. No fan, no air and it worked. I shut off the car, let it sit for about a minute started it up and no fan, no nothing until I pressed the fan button again. I don't know if this is what you are talking about.
yes...in the first 5 minutes, it would still maintain the last setting... so you need more than 1 minute for the reset to take effect...but if you shutdown & lock the car completely for more than 5-6 minutes, then the fan turns on with the next start button...regardless of what the status was previously...this is not right!!! and my car wasn't like this before taking it to the dealership...
so try this: turn on your car, before turning off and locking the car, turn off the fan...then turn off your car, lock it and leave it for 6 minutes or so...then start the car, see if the fan turns on by itself...

Last edited by Shaw; 05-26-2014 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
yes...in the first 5 minutes, it would still maintain the last setting... so you need more than 1 minute for the reset to take effect...but if you shutdown & lock the car completely for more than 5-6 minutes, then the fan turns on with the next start button...regardless of what the status was previously...this is not right!!! and my car wasn't like this before taking it to the dealership...
so try this: turn on your car, before turning off and locking the car, turn off the fan...then turn off your car, lock it and leave it for 6 minutes or so...then start the car, see if the fan turns on by itself...
Yep, you're right. I shut is down completely let is sit about 10 minutes and restarted it and my fan came on. This sounds like a profile issue. There are many complaints about some sort of profile not working. Other than this, my HUD does not maintain my profile from when one driver drives it to the other, I have seen other complaints about the screen not keeping a radio displayed rather it going to a cd screen even if there are on cd's in there. I did call BMW about my profile issue, they wanted me to take it to a dealer. I might if I have other issues but not just for this item. Hate having my car tore apart looking for something that even BMW has no clue!! I did a workaround on the HUD by pressing the seat key every time I want the HUD to raise according to my settings. PIA, but it's livable. I don't know if that would work for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, you're right. I shut is down completely let is sit about 10 minutes and restarted it and my fan came on. This sounds like a profile issue. There are many complaints about some sort of profile not working. Other than this, my HUD does not maintain my profile from when one driver drives it to the other, I have seen other complaints about the screen not keeping a radio displayed rather it going to a cd screen even if there are on cd's in there. I did call BMW about my profile issue, they wanted me to take it to a dealer. I might if I have other issues but not just for this item. Hate having my car tore apart looking for something that even BMW has no clue!! I did a workaround on the HUD by pressing the seat key every time I want the HUD to raise according to my settings. PIA, but it's livable. I don't know if that would work for you.
yes...about other issues, I think they are there after reprogramming:
1- The GPS acts funny: Now, for every "Enter new Address", I need to start all the way from Province selection!!!! previously (also same as my other BMW's) it would show the last selection and then we would simply modify...
2- I have the feeling the windshield wiper's level has raised higher...so before, i couldn't raise the wipers if they were down as it would hit the hood...so if I wanted to raise the wipers, i had to bring it to "replace wipers" state....now, I can raise them without it and they are not hitting the hood...I think they are now more visible than they were before...does that make sense? or I'm wrong? can you raise the wipers up without hitting the hood?

Last edited by Shaw; 05-26-2014 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yes...about other issues, I think they are there after reprogramming:
1- The GPS acts funny: Now, for every "Enter new Address", I need to start all the way from Province selection!!!! previously (also same as my other BMW's) it would show the last selection and then we would simply modify...
2- I have the feeling the windshield wiper's level has raised higher...so before, i couldn't raise the wipers if they were down as it would hit the hood...so if I wanted to raise the wipers, i had to bring it to "replace wipers" state....now, I can raise them without it and they are not hitting the hood...I think they are now more visible than they were before...does that make sense? or I'm wrong? can you raise the wipers up without hitting the hood?

I can raise my wipers without lifting the hood also. Sounds like you have some issues someplace. I would take (ugh) the vehicle back to the dealer with a list of issues, get a loaner and make them fix it to your satisfaction, GPS, wipers, and fan!! I don't know if its a profile issue or what but something is definitely changing or have changed your settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can raise my wipers without lifting the hood also. Sounds like you have some issues someplace. I would take (ugh) the vehicle back to the dealer with a list of issues, get a loaner and make them fix it to your satisfaction, GPS, wipers, and fan!! I don't know if its a profile issue or what but something is definitely changing or have changed your settings.
If you "CAN" raise your wipers without the them hitting the hood, then that would mean mine is OK... I thought we couldn't raise the wipers unless we brought it to "replace" status (vertical position)... my understanding was that in a normal situation, we are not able to raise the wipers without hitting the hood...that is the case with my F30 and was the case with my F25...and I "think" it was the same before taking the F15 to the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you "CAN" raise your wipers without the them hitting the hood, then that would mean mine is OK... I thought we couldn't raise the wipers unless we brought it to "replace" status (vertical position)... my understanding was that in a normal situation, we are not able to raise the wipers without hitting the hood...that is the case with my F30 and was the case with my F25...and I "think" it was the same before taking the F15 to the dealership...
I looked again at my wipers and I don't think they are made to hide. The reason if you look at the passenger wiper, there would be interference between the hood and the wiper itself if it went any lower, at least on mine it seems that way.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 10:27 PM   #14
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I looked again at my wipers and I don't think they are made to hide. The reason if you look at the passenger wiper, there would be interference between the hood and the wiper itself if it went any lower, at least on mine it seems that way.
ok thx
1 down 2 to go...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
Socal2025
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i

You can raise the wipers without hitting the hood. I think this is normal on the F15. Regarding the air conditioner turning on regardless of previous setting, this could be a safety issue. The car is very air tight. If you have no air and drive the car for an extended period of time you could faint or feel tired withing a couple of hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
Cavman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 35i M-Sport

I think it's automatic

Believe that the fan comes on when starting the car on purpose to clear out the "stale air" left in the a/c system.

Had a 2003 330i that did not turn the fan on every time the car was started and after about 6 months there was a very musty smell in the cabin whenever the a/c was used.

Would guess that it is to prevent any "musty" smell from starting. Because once that musty smell started in the 330i it was there until the car was sold.

Again, just a guess.
Appreciate 0