BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

02-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #1
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Coding an F15 to permit ROW anti-glare headlamps: anyone done this yet?

I read on another forum where owners with all of the hardware (stop and go cruise which provides the camera(s) and the Full LED lighting package) can simply "code" their vehicle to permit the ROW (Rest of World: non-USA) anti-glare or anti-dazzle headlamp functionality. This permits one to drive the car in "high beam" setting all of the time and the computer simply dims or redirects the part of the light that would blind other drivers.

Has anyone had any luck with this yet for an F-15? As I read on the other forum, it sounds like it can be done for some non-F-15's, but it doesn't sound like anyone has done it for an F-15.

Also: what is required to "code" a car? a laptop and some kind of a wire that plugs into the car and some kind of software? (I need "coding for dummies" if I'm going to try this.)

someguy
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I'll be doing it the moment my car arrives. I've long been one of the pioneers in BMW coding, and I specifically picked the X5 to have access to the latest and greatest tech.

Overall, it involves removing a specific option code from your vehicle's configuration (known as the VO) and then coding the associated modules with various defaults. Once those modules are coded, the technology should work. This has been tested on other platforms, but not yet on the X5. I look forward to doing it.

As for coding, you need a computer and an RJ-45 to OBDII connector that is compatible with BMW's. Software is not easily accessible but some members have access to it. Search for BMW coding to find some of the forums.

I'd say coding difficulty on a BMW is about 6/10. See if you can find someone in your area to help you experiment and show you the ropes. You can brick your car if you're not careful. I've been there, done that during the early days while exploring. Thankfully my friends at BMWNA did not void my warranty.
      02-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I've long been one of the pioneers in BMW coding
Overall, it involves removing a specific option code from your vehicle's configuration (known as the VO) and then coding the associated modules with various defaults.

As for coding, you need a computer and an RJ-45 to OBDII connector that is compatible with BMW's.
Really! only in your imagination...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
dn325ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325Ci

Quote:
I'll be doing it the moment my car arrives. I've long been one of the pioneers in BMW coding, and I specifically picked the X5 to have access to the latest and greatest tech.

Overall, it involves removing a specific option code from your vehicle's configuration (known as the VO) and then coding the associated modules with various defaults. Once those modules are coded, the technology should work. This has been tested on other platforms, but not yet on the X5. I look forward to doing it.

As for coding, you need a computer and an RJ-45 to OBDII connector that is compatible with BMW's. Software is not easily accessible but some members have access to it. Search for BMW coding to find some of the forums.

I'd say coding difficulty on a BMW is about 6/10. See if you can find someone in your area to help you experiment and show you the ropes. You can brick your car if you're not careful. I've been there, done that during the early days while exploring. Thankfully my friends at BMWNA did not void my warranty.
I've coded VW/Audis before but never BMW. Very much interested in your work with the F15!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Are you implying this cannot be done??
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 03:27 AM   #6
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawskyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Are you implying this cannot be done??
I think he's wrongfully challenging what I said about doing coding for a long time now. Plenty of threads to back this up on other sites.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to turning this on. Also have the parts to do dynamic light assist and TJA and will be attempting a retrofit of the 6WB all digital instrument cluster among other things.
      02-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

There were some initial rumors of minor issues coding F15's (mainly software IIRC) - looks like we now have confirmed reports of success which is great.

These are the code options that I would be interested in for US models:

1. Remote close rear hatch via the keyfob.
2. Close left and right mirrors when locking vehicle via the keyfob.

Video in motion:
HU_NBT -> 3000 -> Speedlock_X_KMH_MIN -> value = FF
HU_NBT -> 3000 -> Speedlock_X_KMH_MAX -> value = FF
HU_NBT -> 3000 -> VIDEO_RAKE = nicht_aktiv (was set)

HUD Turnsignals:
HOMBI -> 3008 -> HUD_PIA_BLINKER = aktiv
KOMBI -> 3000 -> Blinker_HUD_ENABLE = aktiv
HU_NBT -> 3001 -> HUD_TURNSIGNAL = aktiv

US Alarm Type <----unclear what this is...
FZD -> 3001 -> Alarm type = US

Lights on in Door-Handle while driving backward:
BDC_BODY -> 3070 -> OVT_BEI_RUECKFAHRLICHT = aktiv

We should put together a dedicated coding thread to track this, as well as a possible "how to" guide ...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I've coded a few F15's in the Bay Area. They weren't equipped with LED lights or automatic high beams so we couldn't explore the advanced lighting things, but tailgate remote operation and some other items were possible.

A cheat sheet would be great.
      06-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Have you tried removing 5AP & 8S4 from your vo and then vo coding bdc_body and kafas2?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
I've coded a few F15's in the Bay Area. They weren't equipped with LED lights or automatic high beams so we couldn't explore the advanced lighting things, but tailgate remote operation and some other items were possible.

A cheat sheet would be great.
I would be glad to put one together .. However I forgot to take notes on the last f15 I did ... Can you send me your cafd files from all the modules and I'll go through them and notate all codes for the f15
Appreciate 1