fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Before messing with airbags

Need some advice. Are there any specific steps before working with airbags? I know it's important to disconnect both batteries on our X5. Is there anything else that's needed to discharge any stored up static electricity that might set off the airbags?

The independent shop that I go to doesn't want to touch the roof rails swap cause they are afraid of the airbags going off.

I called my local BMW dealer and they told me it's a 4 hour at $149cnd job. Most of which is just the headliner removal process. I think I'll do it myself instead of spending $690 taxes in.

Or if I really chicken out i will removal the headliner myself and get bmw to do the rail swap, I'm guessing that would be about 1 hour work for them, including their coffee break lol

Thanks for the assistance guys
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #2
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromkrypton View Post
Need some advice. Are there any specific steps before working with airbags? I know it's important to disconnect both batteries on our X5. Is there anything else that's needed to discharge any stored up static electricity that might set off the airbags?

The independent shop that I go to doesn't want to touch the roof rails swap cause they are afraid of the airbags going off.

I called my local BMW dealer and they told me it's a 4 hour at $149cnd job. Most of which is just the headliner removal process. I think I'll do it myself instead of spending $690 taxes in.

Or if I really chicken out i will removal the headliner myself and get bmw to do the rail swap, I'm guessing that would be about 1 hour work for them, including their coffee break lol

Thanks for the assistance guys
That would be enough to scare me away from doing it myself lol!
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003897.00
      05-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #3
goate
Private
Rep
Drives: Carbonblack F15 40d

Not sure how much work you'd have on the airbags, do they need to be removed or will you 'only' be working close to them? I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful, but I don't see any problems with disconnecting them. In my F11 I also had to lower the headliner for the automatic tailgate, yet I could leave the airbags in place. If it's a similar job and you're confident you can pull it off yourself I wouldn't worry about the airbags at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goate View Post
Not sure how much work you'd have on the airbags, do they need to be removed or will you 'only' be working close to them? I'm not saying you shouldn't be careful, but I don't see any problems with disconnecting them. In my F11 I also had to lower the headliner for the automatic tailgate, yet I could leave the airbags in place. If it's a similar job and you're confident you can pull it off yourself I wouldn't worry about the airbags at all.
It's a similar job I think. Just that one of the bolts for the rails are almost under one of the airbag anchoring points and it needs to be manipulated to it.

I'll go over board if I attempt it myself and remove the airbag fuses, disconnect both batteries and pump the brakes to make sure the cars electrical system is dead.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #5
goate
Private
Rep

Again, it's a personal judgement but I don't see any problems. I would indeed make sure the system is dead. Disconnect everything like you said and have an half an hour coffee break before touching the airbags. Once removed, handle with care and store safely. Take your time removing/installing the brackets and don't rush anything.

If you decide to go on with it, good luck and let us know how it went
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
This is from an X3 but it's the same as on the X5.

The part circled in yellow covers the hole the red arrows pointing to. That's where the bolt is
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
goate
Private
Rep

I see! Well, I'm not a mechanic but if that's the only clamp you have to remove I wouldn't worry a bit. Just be careful with your tools, make sure there are no sharp edges that could pierce through or otherwise damage the airbag. Since you're not close to the connectors I wouldn't even disconnect them and only disconnect the batteries and remove the fuses.

Also, use a proper *plastic* tool to remove the clamp

Edit: formatting/words
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

That clip is a bitch to remove and the air bags are riveted in on the A-pillar. I've done air bag install on my car and it wasn't too bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #9
theove
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 4.0E

Read this: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...234/1VnXXnreSk
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theove View Post
Very helpful thanks! Looks like disconnecting battery is the major thing to do before handling airbags. Also good to see proper way to remove the clip
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 06:14 AM   #11
JJVH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15, BMW 520 F11

Did you get rails installed? I just recieved mine and iīm still hestating to dissambly whole headliner.

I havenīt found any photos or manuals regarding this so i have just do it bu intuition
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #12
JJVH
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 f15, BMW 520 F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJVH View Post
Did you get rails installed? I just recieved mine and iīm still hestating to dissambly whole headliner.

I havenīt found any photos or manuals regarding this so i have just do it bu intuition

For all who is hesitating with headliner removal and airbags. Donīt.. Just do it!

I just got mine installed last night and it was 2 hour job from start to finish for 2 amateurs who havenīt dissambled headliners before. For rail installation, you donīt have to take A pillar covers off. Bolt can be intalled bearly by gently pulling headliner and airbag aside.
Appreciate 0