04-22-2018, 09:39 PM   #23
TOPEC
<3 Flat Four
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is LM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
The HVAC deodorizing and disinfecting service the dealer charges $200+ for is the same as what I posted above. It is an alcohol based foam which evaporates. I would have reservations spraying a deodorizer into the cabin. I am not sure what that residue may do to the interior materials let alone passengers/children.
had the same worry as u did when i first used it, so when i did it i had mine placed on the passenger footwell, aimed under the glove box. this way it wont get sprayed onto the interior trims and also gets sucked up by the recirculate intake vents.
      04-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

I also got the musty smell from the AC vent just after year 1, but the dealer told me not to put the AC in Automatic re-circulation mode. I guess this mode automatically closes the vent when engine off while the vent is still cold, thus the water condense a little in the vent and create moldy smell. With the mode off, the water vapor can escape to the outside environment and keep the vent dry faster. No musty smell after 2-3 years now.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #25
chrisc151
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Through the vents. They include a 2.5/3ft hose that you insert into the vents and then inject the foam. Instructions are on the can. It's rather simple.
I am happy (elated) to report that one can of Kilma did the trick. Amazing! You guys are the best!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7257.50
      05-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #26
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Excellent. Glad to read that. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #27
HomeIn2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntp View Post
I also got the musty smell from the AC vent just after year 1, but the dealer told me not to put the AC in Automatic re-circulation mode. I guess this mode automatically closes the vent when engine off while the vent is still cold, thus the water condense a little in the vent and create moldy smell. With the mode off, the water vapor can escape to the outside environment and keep the vent dry faster. No musty smell after 2-3 years now.
Thank you...great tip! I was getting some pretty bad mustiness in my ‘18 X5 until I turned off both AC modes (e.g., no lights on). Smell is gone and I’m using my AC at will with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #28
daMANiack
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F26 X4 35d

Hi,

Went through the process of trying to kill the moldy odor coming from my son's F30 328i, cabin carbon filter had been replaced, used Meguiar's G16402 Whole Car Air Refresher Odor Eliminator (New Car Scent), results were good but not great, the odor was still there but to a lesser degree.

Yesterday my son had to put his front windscreen demister on and the smell almost made him faint.

So, certainly go through the process or cleaning the a/c vents/ducts, do it again but this time, just with the front demister on full.

Cheerz
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
Gmp92
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4 f82

Hello everyone, I think I found the problem!! Bmw uses a mixture which is clear for their windshield wiper fluid.. it’s a mixture of vinegar and something else but it tends to leach into the a/c when it is activated so get rid of the oe fluid and it should solve your problem
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #30
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I've always used the OE fluid below and never had the issue. What I have found is that some people use medium temps that create humidity and then the humidity creates moisture in the ducts and that is where the odor comes from. The easiest way to tell is on the vents and if there is condensation on the louvers . If you see the condensation on the slats then I would wager there is condensation in the ducts and condenser.

Appreciate 0