BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
doctortt
Rep
Drives: None

Prospective X6 buyer, lots of questions (but after research)

Hi there. I'm a prospective x6 buyer and new to this forum. I did a lot of research about this vehicle on youtube and this forum, but I still have some questions that I'm hoping you guys could shed some light.

First off, the contemplated configurations are as follows: xDrive 35i, M Sport package, 20" black wheels (style 469M), black sapphire metallic, black interior, adaptive M suspension, multi-contour seats, rear manual side window shades, and parking assistance package.

My background: I currently own the 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD, 308 HP, V6, black exterior, and rioja red interior (basically, dark red). 22,000 miles. Weekend driver. I like this car, though I will trade it in. With just regular maintenance, it has been running fine over the past few years. Once the Sports+ mode is on, this car behaves differently.

I live in NYC, so I hardly use this mode and rarely drive fast (this is why I don't need the 50i). In addition, the road conditions are ridiculously bad. I'm planning to have kids, so I need a bigger car but I don't want to give up the sporty feel, look, and experience (at least at this stage of my life); this is why I like the x6 and not x5.

Enough said, here are my questions.

1) The MSRP of this build is about $74k. I know I won't be paying MSRP, but I just use this number for comparison with other brands of vehicles. The Mercedes AMG GLE 43 Coupe with 385hp and some options that are not much different from my x6 build is about $75k MSRP. 85 hp difference is a lot, in my view, but price is about the same. Am I missing something here? Should I exclude the M sports package in thinking about the value I'm getting for the price relative to other comparable vehicles?

2) Is it possible to get the blind spot detection without the package, which includes the heads-up display that I don't want?

3) I heard the 2019 model (fall 2018) will be a mid-cycle fresh. What are the changes? Do you know when dealers will start taking orders for the 2019 model? I'm planning to set up a test drive, so perhaps, I can ask them at that time.

4) I looked up a lot of X5/X6 threads in this forum, and it doesn't sound like the 35i straight 6 engine and the car overall have any major technical/mechanical issues. Am I right? (I heard a lot of bad experience of BMW vehicles in the past.)

5) Heard the iDrive is like the best system on the market. What do you think? I tried a number of navi/control systems of other brands, and they are slow, laggy, etc. I guess I will have to test the iDrive in person and see.

6) What do the adaptive M suspension and dynamic package do anyway? I guess they will make the suspension more stiff? A lot of people say that the dynamic package is a must. Not sure why.

7) Why do people say that the x6 looks like a Panda? Doesn't look like one to me.

8) Just out of curiosity, is the sloping roofline preventing the x6 from having panoramic roof?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

With kids coming up I suggest you go with an X5.
If your budget is as high as you mentioned, you can pretty much load it. Option packages are similar. Dynamic Handling is definitely a plus, those who have it swear by it.
Blind spot should not be related to HUD as the warnings are flashing on the iDrive. These vehicles are quite reliable.
Hope you finalize purchase and post some pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
It's late, and I don't have the brain power to tackle all of your questions, but here's a couple:

2) You cannot get blind spot detection on the X6 in the US without the Executive Package.

4) The engine in the 35i is used in a wide range of BMWs and is one of the worlds best. It's strong and reliable and takes well to mods, not that anyone here modifies their vehicles...

3) 2019 is not a mid cycle refresh but rather a whole new X5/X6. Not a whole heck of a lot is known for certain about the new model, but I would expect it to be lighter (more aluminum) have a slight increase in power and fuel economy and another leap in the already great idrive/electronics systems.

That's it for now. Goodnight.
      05-03-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
PaulieD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i

X6 is a beautiful capable suv. Got one for my wife last year. And she loves at. And I loved it so much I bought myself a 2015 X5 50i. No pano in the X6 but it looks great. Hers is BSM with the coral interior. The HUD is a great option I'd get it. The sloping roofline doesn't totally kill the back seats.
      05-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctortt View Post
Hi there. I'm a prospective x6 buyer and new to this forum. I did a lot of research about this vehicle on youtube and this forum, but I still have some questions that I'm hoping you guys could shed some light.

First off, the contemplated configurations are as follows: xDrive 35i, M Sport package, 20" black wheels (style 469M), black sapphire metallic, black interior, adaptive M suspension, multi-contour seats, rear manual side window shades, and parking assistance package.

My background: I currently own the 2014 Lexus IS350 AWD, 308 HP, V6, black exterior, and rioja red interior (basically, dark red). 22,000 miles. Weekend driver. I like this car, though I will trade it in. With just regular maintenance, it has been running fine over the past few years. Once the Sports+ mode is on, this car behaves differently.

I live in NYC, so I hardly use this mode and rarely drive fast (this is why I don't need the 50i). In addition, the road conditions are ridiculously bad. I'm planning to have kids, so I need a bigger car but I don't want to give up the sporty feel, look, and experience (at least at this stage of my life); this is why I like the x6 and not x5.

Enough said, here are my questions.

1) The MSRP of this build is about $74k. I know I won't be paying MSRP, but I just use this number for comparison with other brands of vehicles. The Mercedes AMG GLE 43 Coupe with 385hp and some options that are not much different from my x6 build is about $75k MSRP. 85 hp difference is a lot, in my view, but price is about the same. Am I missing something here? Should I exclude the M sports package in thinking about the value I'm getting for the price relative to other comparable vehicles?

2) Is it possible to get the blind spot detection without the package, which includes the heads-up display that I don't want?

3) I heard the 2019 model (fall 2018) will be a mid-cycle fresh. What are the changes? Do you know when dealers will start taking orders for the 2019 model? I'm planning to set up a test drive, so perhaps, I can ask them at that time.

4) I looked up a lot of X5/X6 threads in this forum, and it doesn't sound like the 35i straight 6 engine and the car overall have any major technical/mechanical issues. Am I right? (I heard a lot of bad experience of BMW vehicles in the past.)

5) Heard the iDrive is like the best system on the market. What do you think? I tried a number of navi/control systems of other brands, and they are slow, laggy, etc. I guess I will have to test the iDrive in person and see.

6) What do the adaptive M suspension and dynamic package do anyway? I guess they will make the suspension more stiff? A lot of people say that the dynamic package is a must. Not sure why.

7) Why do people say that the x6 looks like a Panda? Doesn't look like one to me.

8) Just out of curiosity, is the sloping roofline preventing the x6 from having panoramic roof?
I can't answer all your questions but here it goes.

1) Don't exclude the m-sport package as the steering wheel in the m-sport pack is worth the price alone, it has better leather quality, feels better, is nice and meaty and just looks and feels impressive and sporty compared to the normal steering wheel. Don't really know why the prices are different by the amount, but know that BMW tends to underrate performance figures for their engines. If you want to save cash, you should be able to save $5k or more by getting an X5 over an X6, which in many people's opinions (including mine) looks much better, and also has a pano roof. Also the driving dynamics between the two aren't noticeably different, and the sloping roof really compromises visibility and cargo space, and with children and strollers you might appreciate the extra height.

2) Seems like BSM is only available with the driver's assistance package. The head up display is very nice and easy to read and provides the right amount of information allowing you to keep your eyes on the road. You'll get use to it, and maybe even like it.

3) Ask your dealer

4) Inline 6's are more reliable than the diesel engines offered on the X5, as well as the V8 in both X5 and X6. BMW in general is less reliable than lexus. If your truly worried about reliability find a mechanic/outside source that has a specialty with BMW, once your warranty runs out.

5) iDrive and Audi's MMI are the best. Coming from the Lexus with the mousepad controller will be a huge upgrade. It is way more simple and intuitive to use, as well as easier when driving than Lexus' terrible system. One of the best infotainment systems in the market.

6) You'll have to ask some other X5/X6 owner, i don't know too much about the dynamic handling pack

7) I believe its referred to as a panda b/c when the first gen came out, the white models were shown with black grills and intakes, and many people saw a resemblance of a panda with the colors and the "hunchback" sloping roofline.

8) I believe you are correct, I've never seen an X6 with a pano roof, most likely because of the sloping roof, the X5 has it available though.

Hope that helped, overall the X5 and X6 are great, but in your situation an X5 might be more beneficial for price and cargo space. Although speaking of X5s, a new 2019 X5 which will be fully updated, is going to be revealed around summer/fall, so if you can hold out you should, otherwise buyer's remorse might get you.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #6
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Most have addressed your points, but some things to add:
  • The X5/X6 driving dynamics are identical (it's the same platform), so don't think the X6 is a Lambo while the X5 is a Crown Victoria.
  • Being in NYC, and being that you want the 35i over the 50i, you may want to reconsider the Dynamic Handling. I'm in Chicago, and while I'd love to get the "fancy suspension/handling" options, it just doesn't make sense because I have to drive at least 40-50 miles to even think about enjoying them
  • An all-new X6 will come out for the 2020 model year, not even a refresh. (The new X5 should appear this fall.)
  • iDrive is good. I test drove a RR Velar, and I drove my dad's Lexus SUV (I don't know the model but it was a bigger one), and that touchscreen disaster was terrible to use.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
A) you don't want HUD?!?!
B) I drive rocks. I've driven a Toyota and a Lexus with their life-threatening touch screen systems and weird mousepad malarkey - I Drive is a hundred steps above those.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1003942.00
      05-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #8
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

I had a F16 almost identical to your build, I added a few more options. I loved the X6 but eventually sold her and picked up my X5.
1) I wouldn’t consider excluding the M Sport package, no way.
2) Get the Driving Assistance Package, the HUD is a must have option.
3) IDK
4) The 35i is a very trustworthy motor, go for it.
5) I’ve used the infotainment system in some of the competitor’s cars and the iDrive is the most intuitive system. I agree with your findings, the others don’t compare.
6) The only regret I have in both of mine, not getting DHP. You read the reviews, believe them.
7) IDK, I believe it’s a “look” they associate with white vehicles with black mods.
8) Yes, that’s what I was told when I ordered my F16. I love the pano roof in the X5.

I recommend upgrading the interior with Ivory White/Black Bi-Color Interior Design Package. It compliments the BSM and interior very wel, plus the leather dash is another must have.
I have some pics of mine if interested.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
I recommend upgrading the interior with Ivory White/Black Bi-Color Interior Design Package. It compliments the BSM and interior very wel, plus the leather dash is another must have.
I have some pics of mine if interested.
Cheers
The white is beautiful, but there's no way I would consider it with children. The Mocha design package is also lovely and worth looking at. I agree that the leather dash is luxurious and I love it. I liked it so much I had to make sure the M4 had it, too.
      05-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

Make your X6 stand out from a X5 and get red. Red is not an option for the X5 unless you got an individual build I believe.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      05-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Hah, I guess it depends on the parents and the children. We had our F16 for 22 months with two children riding in it daily. It looked just as good on the day I sold it as it did the day we took delivery.
Miss that interior package, my black Dakota interior is so blah. I’m glad I have the CF trim to make it a little nicer.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 07:09 AM   #12
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Hah, I guess it depends on the parents and the children. We had our F16 for 22 months with two children riding in it daily. It looked just as good on the day I sold it as it did the day we took delivery.
Miss that interior package, my black Dakota interior is so blah. I’m glad I have the CF trim to make it a little nicer.
My mom has a 4 series with an oyster interior. No children. No jeans. Drives 3000 miles a year. Drivers seat is filthy All-The-Time. It was filthy when she took delivery! We clean it, it gets filthy again, quickly. While I'll admit it's Dakota and not Nappa leather, I can't imagine how white would be.

I agree black is blah. I can't believe how many used, late model BMWs are black inside. BMW has some nice, no additional cost interior colors but most people still seem to prefer black.
Violator4587.50
      05-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
Wavy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
My mom has a 4 series with an oyster interior. No children. No jeans. Drives 3000 miles a year. Drivers seat is filthy All-The-Time. It was filthy when she took delivery! We clean it, it gets filthy again, quickly. While I'll admit it's Dakota and not Nappa leather, I can't imagine how white would be.

I agree black is blah. I can't believe how many used, late model BMWs are black inside. BMW has some nice, no additional cost interior colors but most people still seem to prefer black.
I've noticed that as well. I think it's either dealers tend to order that way because it's low maintenance and still looks good when they get trade ins or the average person doesn't wanna deal with the hassle of keeping light interiors clean so the black interiors sell faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #14
Chadmatic
Registered Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i M-Sport

Quote:
I guess I can see the panda resemblance, however it's not the first thing that comes to mind.

I once overheard a customer at the BMW dealership say that the X6 looks like an X5 with a wedgie, it's the first thing that comes to mind whenever I see an X6 now, lol!

Last edited by Chadmatic; 05-05-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #15
doctortt
Rep

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

I visited my local BMW dealer today and took a closer look of both X5 and X6. Overall, I need to spend some time to think about whether the backseat headroom of the X6 would be an issue. I'm not tall, about 5'8, and there is only about 1 inch headroom when I sat in the backseat. Oddly, my 2014 IS350 AWD has more headroom in the back row. Of course, I will be the driver, so the backseat won't bother me much, but there are family considerations. No kids yet but planning.

The X5 feels better with the pana. roof. No complaints about the backseats and cargo space. It just doesn't look sporty relative to X6. I'm not sure why this X5 has the analog gauges, but digital in the X6. The X5 on the floor is xdrive 50i with M sport package, and it also has the merino leather - VERY NICE but $$$$.

Lastly, yep, I'm aware that the new model will come out sometime late this year.
Attached Images

Last edited by doctortt; 05-05-2018 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #16
doctortt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post
Make your X6 stand out from a X5 and get red. Red is not an option for the X5 unless you got an individual build I believe.

I like this red a lot. Is it dark red? I watched some youtube videos, and the red interior seems to be on the lighter/brighter side. I'm not sure whether that color is the same as yours.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #17
doctortt
Rep

This is the red interior in my current Lexus. Not sure how this color compares to that available in the X5/X6.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #18
Wavy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I like this red a lot. Is it dark red? I watched some youtube videos, and the red interior seems to be on the lighter/brighter side. I'm not sure whether that color is the same as yours.
Yea it's pretty bright.

And I agree with the lack of rear passenger space in the X6. I'm 5"11 and my head touches the roof when I sat in the back once. I don't have a family so it doesn't bother me.

Maybe.a dealer would let you take a x5 and x6 out for a few hours to see which one you could live with?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #19
AlpineOnCoral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 SDrive35i

1) Should I exclude the M sports package in thinking about the value I'm getting for the price relative to other comparable vehicles?

A: Others have answered this question differently. I'd say you should include it to compare apples-to-apples with the AMG. TBH, the MB is a very good value compared to the Bimmer if you look at the HP/Tq and 0-60 times. But other features on the Bimmer are superior such as the interior/dash and iDrive. My wife wouldn't let me consider the MB because of a bad experience we had with an R350 we owned that went backwards up a hill while in Drive with a family of four onboard. Otherwise it would've been a tough call. If you add MPPK to the X6 35i, the 0-6 times would be closer and the warranty will still be in tact, but C&D had the AMG GLC43 0-60 in just 4.3 seconds. That's fast. Maintenance costs and reliability of the AMG-tuned engine I can't speak to, but the N55 engine in the X6 35i is tried and true.

A: play with the "build your own" feature on the BMW site and speak with your dealer to confirm, but I don't think so. The HUD is actually quite nice and you'll enjoy it if you get it. Unless you drive with polarized sunglasses like I do and I can't see the HUD in the daytime whatsoever because of the polarization!

Not a mid-cycle refresh. A whole new car with a different engine. I would guess dealers will take orders for X6 one year after X5.

A: Sunroof is something I've heard alot but have no personal experience. The engine internals themselves are trustworthy but much of the supporting cast can be spotty. Reliability shouldn't be a concern while it's under warranty. After that, extended warranties are an option but most new owners trade theirs in by then I believe. Depreciation is a big concern.

A: We tried a few including Audi and Lexus. I prefer the BMW iDrive to the other two but the MMI with the map embedded in the driver instrument cluster is slick in the Audi.

A: All depends on how sporty you want it to handle. I didn't get it because of the initial cost and potential cost to repair. It's a high, heavy SUV. If you want sport sedan handling, buy a sport sedan. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

A: I'll post a pic in a minute why...

A: Yes. And speaking of roofline and rear headroom, I'm exactly 6'. My head is clear of the roof in the rear until I try to rest my head on the rear headrest. It hits the roof before the headrest when I'm sitting completely upright. If I "slouch" a little forward like I would if I was trying to really relax in the backseat, my head easily rests on the headrest. It's an SUV with coupe styling. It comes with tradeoffs. Rear headroom is one of those. I guess vertical cargo space is another, but there's alot more than in the sports sedans I was also considering.

Hope this helps!
      05-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #20
AlpineOnCoral
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6 SDrive35i

Panda....

Panda
Attached Images

05-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #21
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

I could be wrong but... I think when people refer the X6 to a "Panda" it isn't because of the shape of the car but rather the color combo of the car specifically it being white and black. The black wheels, air curtains, air dam, and M performance grills accessories.