BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
Mojo85
Rep
Drives: S2000

Musky Air Conditioning Smell

2 Years into my ownership of my X5, and the A/C has a musky smell.

When I brought it in for service, I told them about it, and the dealer said they cleaned the A/C system. Few months later the smell came back. I complained about it at the next service and the dealer said they initially cleaned it as a courtesy and that they could not clean it again. I told them that I didn't want them to just clean it but to fix the issue. They said its not covered as part of the warranty nor the BMW service. I also have the extended warranty and extended service plan.

The smell only occurs during the first minute of the A/C system being turned on. Its also more pronounced when the A/C compressor is off. Otherwise when its on, other than the first minute, it smells fine.

I live in San Diego, so the weather is generally great. No winter and no humidity to really impact the A/C system.

Any recommendations on what I should do next?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The musty/musky smell usually comes from the growth of bacteria & mold due to perfect conditions that allow for them to grow. You probably need to find a way to PREVENT this growth...especially if you park your car in a garage or in a location that has limited air circulation and darkness.

If the dealership cleaned your AC system and killed off the bacteria and mold prior...and the smell abated at that time...but has now returned...the issue is to CHANGE the situation that allows bacteria and mold to grow.

Personally, I haven't had this condition for the last 30 years because I follow certain steps. Anytime I've been running the AC (especially in hot temps)...if I'm parking in a DARK location with limited air circulation (like pulling into my garage and parking for the night)...I run the park ventilation feature.

Using the park ventilation feature will run the HVAC blower for up to 30 minutes (without the key in the ignition) which helps evaporate any remaining condensate on the AC condenser. This helps prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.

If the ambient temps aren't extremely hot (like 85°F-105°F)...and it is comfortable enough...I will turn off the AC a few miles before my destination...which will do the same...and help dry off any condensate...again, helping to eliminate the birthing ground for bacteria and mold.

There is lots of info out on the internet on how to kill the growth of bacteria and mold from a car's AC system...once you've killed the bacteria & mold...try circumventing the conditions that causes it to return...and see if it eliminates the funky smell from your AC system.

Good luck.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 3
DonJuan536.00
DuSh2112.50
F15GorDe261.00
      11-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

This was a known issue with my older 5 series. Basically when you shut the car off, the condenser is still wet from being cold, but the airflow stops since you shut the car off. Then bacteria can grow in the moist environment.
Every so often I would remove my cabin air filters under the hood, start the car with ac on high but not max. Then spray a a lot of scrubbing bubbles foam bath cleaner. The cleaner gets sucked in and sprayed across the condenser and hopefully kills the bacteria.
You can also maybe go to a home depot and try to find and see if they have AC condenser cleaner.
Appreciate 1
DuSh2112.50
      11-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm noticing this as well, except mine isn't with AC on its with the heat on. May need to clean it I guess
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

As mentioned in my post above...to help prevent the growth of bacteria/mold that causes the funky smell upon start up of the HVAC blower...activate the park ventilation feature (see pic below) especially if parking in your garage where it will be dark and no air circulation to dry the condenser.

The immediate venting feature can only be started when the engine is OFF...so find this feature under CLIMATE. To activate the "immediate parked vent feature" (seen highlighted in pic below) STOP the engine from running but still have the car's electronics on...then make the selection. If the engine is running, the selection will be "grayed-out" like in pic below and you won't be able to activate it:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
Mojo85
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
The musty/musky smell usually comes from the growth of bacteria & mold due to perfect conditions that allow for them to grow. You probably need to find a way to PREVENT this growth...especially if you park your car in a garage or in a location that has limited air circulation and darkness.

If the dealership cleaned your AC system and killed off the bacteria and mold prior...and the smell abated at that time...but has now returned...the issue is to CHANGE the situation that allows bacteria and mold to grow.

Personally, I haven't had this condition for the last 30 years because I follow certain steps. Anytime I've been running the AC (especially in hot temps)...if I'm parking in a DARK location with limited air circulation (like pulling into my garage and parking for the night)...I run the park ventilation feature.

Using the park ventilation feature will run the HVAC blower for up to 30 minutes (without the key in the ignition) which helps evaporate any remaining condensate on the AC condenser. This helps prevent the growth of bacteria and mold.

If the ambient temps aren't extremely hot (like 85°F-105°F)...and it is comfortable enough...I will turn off the AC a few miles before my destination...which will do the same...and help dry off any condensate...again, helping to eliminate the birthing ground for bacteria and mold.

There is lots of info out on the internet on how to kill the growth of bacteria and mold from a car's AC system...once you've killed the bacteria & mold...try circumventing the conditions that causes it to return...and see if it eliminates the funky smell from your AC system.

Good luck.
Thanks Qsilver7. I am going to have a hard time explaining this to my wife, and in reality, she will never drill down the menu to activate it, or remember to turn off A/C a few miles before arrival.

I wouldn't even blame her as this is unacceptable for a $70k car.

I just ordered some Kilma Cleaner that I will spray through evaporator temp sensor, will keep everyone posted on the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:14 AM   #7
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
As mentioned in my post above...to help prevent the growth of bacteria/mold that causes the funky smell upon start up of the HVAC blower...activate the park ventilation feature (see pic below) especially if parking in your garage where it will be dark and no air circulation to dry the condenser.

The immediate venting feature can only be started when the engine is OFF...so find this feature under CLIMATE. To activate the "immediate parked vent feature" (seen highlighted in pic below) STOP the engine from running but still have the car's electronics on...then make the selection. If the engine is running, the selection will be "grayed-out" like in pic below and you won't be able to activate it:

That’s a very good idea.

What I usually do is after using the AC for a length of time, will turn off and just run on the vent (non-AC) for a period before arriving at my destination.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
That’s a very good idea.

What I usually do is after using the AC for a length of time, will turn off and just run on the vent (non-AC) for a period before arriving at my destination.
I do that, too...but on those hot summer days when it would be stifling to turn off the AC before pulling into the garage (like when temps are like 85° F-up and 100% humidity)...that's when I use the park ventilation feature...or if I forgot to turn off the AC before getting too close to home or my destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo85 View Post
Thanks Qsilver7. I am going to have a hard time explaining this to my wife, and in reality, she will never drill down the menu to activate it, or remember to turn off A/C a few miles before arrival.

I wouldn't even blame her as this is unacceptable for a $70k car.

I just ordered some Kilma Cleaner that I will spray through evaporator temp sensor, will keep everyone posted on the results.
The issue is not that its a $70K car...it happens to ALL cars. It's a naturally occuring conditions based on "conditions" that have nothing to do with the cost/price of the vehicle...the bacteria & mold grow due to dampness, heat, and darkness. Just like if you had a $1 towel purchased at The Dollar Store or a $100 Egyptian cotton towel purchased from a high dollar department store...if you were to use either after a extreme workout and shower...then throw it (still wet) into your gym bag and zip it up, then toss the bag into your trunk on a 90°F summer day...both towels will stink to high heaven when you open the bag the next day.

Even after using the Kilma Cleaner to kill the bacteria & mold...if the conditions that allow the growth are still present...then it will return and you'll need to use the Kilma Cleaner over and over again when the issue returns.

Changing the environment or conditions that cause the growth is what will stop the issue.

I just thought of something in regards to helping your wife...perhaps you can make it simple & easier by creating a preset where all she needs to do is press ONE button and the activation screen appears.

The 1-8 preset buttons below the CD/DVD slot is not just for radio presets. They can be used to bring up something specific for anything the CIC/NBT/NAV/etc can do. If you put your finger up to the 1st button...you should see anything you've set appear...and if you move your finger across all the buttons...the display will show what all has been set on each button.

For instance, I set one of the buttons to have the NAV destination for home...so in case I'm somewhere unfamiliar....like from following friends to a location or just plain lost...I can just press the one preset button and it wil automatically set the navigation to direct me back home. I also did one for bringing up ALL of my radio presets. I bet you can do a preset to bring up the park ventilation screen...which I will probably do now that I've brought it up (thanks ).

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-11-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
Mojo85
Rep

Quote:
I do that, too...but on those hot summer days when it would be stifling to turn off the AC before pulling into the garage (like when temps are like 85° F-up and 100% humidity)...that's when I use the park ventilation feature...or if I forgot to turn off the AC before getting too close to home or my destination.

The issue is not that its a $70K car...it happens to ALL cars. It's a naturally occuring conditions based on "conditions" that have nothing to do with the cost/price of the vehicle...the bacteria & mold grow due to dampness, heat, and darkness. Just like if you had a $1 towel purchased at The Dollar Store or a $100 Egyptian cotton towel purchased from a high dollar department store...if you were to use either after a extreme workout and shower...then throw it (still wet) into your gym bag and zip it up, then toss the bag into your trunk on a 90°F summer day...both towels will stink to high heaven when you open the bag the next day.

Even after using the Kilma Cleaner to kill the bacteria & mold...if the conditions that allow the growth are still present...then it will return and you'll need to use the Kilma Cleaner over and over again when the issue returns.

Changing the environment or conditions that cause the growth is what will stop the issue.

I just thought of something in regards to helping your wife...perhaps you can make it simple & easier by creating a preset where all she needs to do is press ONE button and the activation screen appears.

The 1-8 preset buttons below the CD/DVD slot is not just for radio presets. They can be used to bring up something specific for anything the CIC/NBT/NAV/etc can do. If you put your finger up to the 1st button...you should see anything you've set appear...and if you move your finger across all the buttons...the display will show what all has been set on each button.

For instance, I set one of the buttons to have the NAV destination for home...so in case I'm somewhere unfamiliar....like from following friends to a location or just plain lost...I can just press the one preset button and it wil automatically set the navigation to direct me back home. I also did one for bringing up ALL of my radio presets. I bet you can do a preset to bring up the park ventilation screen...which I will probably do now that I've brought it up (thanks ).
The preset is a good idea. But she still won't use it.

I've owned 6 cars before, this is the first to do this (I do realize this is not statically significant). So while I somewhat agree its about conditions, its also about engineering with regards to how the car vents the evaporator to allow it to dry. My in-laws XC90 has a fan that stays on for ~10min after car stops to do just that.

I used the Kilma Cleaner yesterday. It was pretty easy to use:

For anyone wondering, it toke 30mins in all with 20mins of that is waiting:
1. Removed the side driver side carpet (1 torx screw, move seat all way back)
2. Removed the Evaporator temp sensor by just pulling it out.
3. Kilma Cleaner comes with a long snake tube, I put it on and sprayed the evaporator. Dragging the long tube back and forth to make sure the evaporator is fully covered the the Kilma foam.
4. Wait 20min.
5. Put everything back together.
6. Put A/C full blast with outside air open for 5min. (not max a/c since that turns on reciculration on)

Smell seems to have gone away. Will see if it holds up for the next few weeks.

I plan on doing this again in 3-4 months then every service cycle.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
tntp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5S35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo85 View Post
2 Years into my ownership of my X5, and the A/C has a musky smell.

When I brought it in for service, I told them about it, and the dealer said they cleaned the A/C system. Few months later the smell came back. I complained about it at the next service and the dealer said they initially cleaned it as a courtesy and that they could not clean it again. I told them that I didn't want them to just clean it but to fix the issue. They said its not covered as part of the warranty nor the BMW service. I also have the extended warranty and extended service plan.

The smell only occurs during the first minute of the A/C system being turned on. Its also more pronounced when the A/C compressor is off. Otherwise when its on, other than the first minute, it smells fine.

I live in San Diego, so the weather is generally great. No winter and no humidity to really impact the A/C system.

Any recommendations on what I should do next?
I have this issue too. The dealer clean the AC and ask me not to turn on the automatic re-circulation. 3 years later, AC still smell goods. Also, make sure you change your air filters (outside and inside) often with activated charcoal ones once a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Cleaning the evaporator seems to be extremely easy, not sure why folks are not doing it if they have a musky smell.

You remove couple screws on the driver footwell and remove the temp sensor cap and squeeze in an evap cleaner hose and spray the cleaner in, should be a 10-15min job to get it done.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:46 PM   #12
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
When I buy a car - I spend a lot of time trying to get the small "right" for me - weird I know, but lots of smell absorber disks and frabrezze till I don;t notice any scent then I add my airfresheners.

Something I tried on my last one was this: https://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-FRE...d+duct+cleaner

I was very surprised how well it worked and lasted several days. Now I did not have a musty smell that made me try it - I just saw it and tried it. I was impressed and it will be added to my tool bag for the next one.

Might be worth a shot? Cheap and easy to try anyway.
      01-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #13
Road Carnage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 96 328is, 15 X5 50i

You might want to check your AC condensate drain tube to be sure it’s not blocked. If that is not draining properly you might have some standing water in with the condensing coil.
      01-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #14
acmurda
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Go get an ozone treatment done. Most detail places will do it for fairly cheap. Have them run the HVAC system in the car while its going on. Had it done on my M3, solved the musky AC smell problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 01:05 AM   #15
thomanack
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 (F15)

instructions how clean evaporator
1. Remove evaporator temperature sensor - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnXhYWGGD
2. Cleaning evaporator itself - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnXSphimy
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:26 AM   #16
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanack View Post
1. Remove evaporator temperature sensor - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnXhYWGGD
2. Cleaning evaporator itself - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nts/1VnXSphimy
I didn't notice a part number for the actual spray. Does BMW have spray or do you just use something off the shelf?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #17
Waoudi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 MSport, '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomanack View Post
Those links don't work anymore. Can anyone help me find the location so I can spray it?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #18
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waoudi View Post
Those links don't work anymore. Can anyone help me find the location so I can spray it?
Here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0