BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-07-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 XDrive 40E IPerformance

X5 2016 edrive 40e cruise setting

Hi my X5 does not have a cruise control SET button and according to the user manual at the speed I want to cruise if I press the cruise control button it will lock into that speed with a green marker on the speedo meter and will enter cruise mode.
After few software updates the marker in the speedometer stays orange in color and speed is not locked or maintained unless I press the rocker switch up or down or hit the resume button.

Appreciate if someone could advice me. Thanks

Chaminda
      03-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamindab View Post
Hi my X5 does not have a cruise control SET button and according to the user manual at the speed I want to cruise if I press the cruise control button it will lock into that speed with a green marker on the speedo meter and will enter cruise mode.
After few software updates the marker in the speedometer stays orange in color and speed is not locked or maintained unless I press the rocker switch up or down or hit the resume button.

Chaminda
Post a picture of your steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:

Chaminda
Do you have a LIM button instead of SET?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwes View Post
Quote:

Chaminda
Quote:
Quote:

Chaminda
Yes that's right.
Attached Images

03-07-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Chaminda
Quote:
Quote:

Chaminda
Please find attached
Attached Images

03-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

What software updates are you referring to?

The LIM button should operate like this:

"If you push the button when driving at the speed you want it wil be set to that speed. Then it will not go faster unless you press very hard on the gas or press the button again."
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Based on your description I think it's operating normally. I believe you have to press the LIM button each time to confirm the maximum speed you want to limit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
What software updates are you referring to?

The LIM button should operate like this:

"If you push the button when driving at the speed you want it wil be set to that speed. Then it will not go faster unless you press very hard on the gas or press the button again."
Limit works fine from day one in my X5. What is not working is the cruise control first time locking of the desired speed.
Thanks,
      03-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Based on your description I think it's operating normally. I believe you have to press the LIM button each time to confirm the maximum speed you want to limit.
No, if I do that I cannot overtake other vehicles as it does allow me to increase the speed beyond the limit set.
      03-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, if I do that I cannot overtake other vehicles as it does allow me to increase the speed beyond the limit set.
If you press harder on the accelerator it will break the limit. What reaction are you expecting?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you press harder on the accelerator it will break the limit. What reaction are you expecting?
Thanks. But my issue is for the first time to activate cruise control I need to hit the resume button and it does not make any sense as I have not started cruising yet.
      03-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Thanks. But my issue is for the first time to activate cruise control I need to hit the resume button and it does not make any sense as I have not started cruising yet.
On my 2014 35i you turn on cruise by pressing the button with the speedo image, and then one click up or down on the rocker switch sets the speed......
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

Read the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #14
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
Read the owner's manual.
That's what I did before starting to use, also I have the Apple iPhone app with the user manual matching my VIN. It worked according to what the manual says before and not after the second software update. Dealer is working on it. I asked the forum for their similar experience and a remedy.
      03-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #15
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Quote:
On my 2014 35i you turn on cruise by pressing the button with the speedo image, and then one click up or down on the rocker switch sets the speed......
Is that what your user manual says? Mine asks only to press button with the meter.
Thanks,
      03-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #16
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Is that what your user manual says? Mine asks only to press button with the meter.
Thanks,
It says that you turn the system on with that button, and that the speed will then be maintained but in practice that doesn't work for me, I need to also use the rocker switch to set the speed.....
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
chamindab
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
Quote:
Thanks,
It says that you turn the system on with that button, and that the speed will then be maintained but in practice that doesn't work for me, I need to also use the rocker switch to set the speed.....
Rocker switch will change the current speed that you desire and you have to again move it in the opposite direction to get to the speed you want to cruise. Doesn't make sense when you do not have "set" written near the plus and minus signs of the rocker switch like my Mercedes-AMG has. I am pretty sure it worked with the cruise button only and after the software update it got messed up.

Thanks for your message.