BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #1
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Dealer Allocation Question

From reading various posts it seems as though dealer allocation is a big factor relative to delivery. I was under the impression that you go to your dealer, order your X5, and it is delivered 6 to 8 weeks later. And that this was not dependent on the dealer.

Am I correct in that assumption?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansRobert View Post
From reading various posts it seems as though dealer allocation is a big factor relative to delivery. I was under the impression that you go to your dealer, order your X5, and it is delivered 6 to 8 weeks later. And that this was not dependent on the dealer.

Am I correct in that assumption?
I'd say (if you are in the US, anyway) that, in GENERAL, you are correct. However, there are exceptions in both directions. Some dealers will have vehicles that are basically "getting ready to roll down the line" that they can change for you right before production. Those could be delivered in 2-3 weeks if the stars align right for you.

Also, the other situation is true, a dealer may have no allocations for a long time (or none left for a specific model year, see the thread below for an idea of what that looks like) and it could take 10+ weeks to get your vehicle built and delivered.

If you go in to a dealer in the US and they have allocation, 6-8 weeks is very reasonable. You'll probably be happily surprised and get it sooner than that, especially if they have vehicles in 112 status scheduled for production in the next week or 2.

I have to think we're nearing the end of allocations for the 2014 model at this time, I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago (expecting delivery next week), but, at some point, they are going to have to shut the line down and retool for the 2015s. I'd guess that's going to be sometime in July/August. If you want a 2014, you need to act fast and get an order in with a dealer who has allocation very soon (again, just a guess, but, from what I'm hearing on this board and from my dealer, it probably a good guess).

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1002996
Appreciate 0