BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

Need Some Advice!

I got a nice big "star burst" on my windshield and would like to know from those who have had their windshields replaced what they did.

I think (?) that it could be repaired (Safelite), but I don't know for sure. If it can't be repaired, did anyone accept the generic windshield vs the OEM BMW windshield and what were the results.

Just barely got over 2000 miles on it...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 X30i

HUD, need a good one.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

OMG, that is sucks.
Personally I would go with OEM. I think most insurance have deductible somewhere around $100-$200 for new windshield.
You can try with Safelite first (since it is free on most insurance company), if you are not satisfied, then you can go with replacing it.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Unless you have a high deductible (most policies have none for glass), why wouldn't you want to just get it replaced, with OEM windshield?

I had the windshield on our X3 (since traded in for the X5) replaced for a minor crack that I figured would eventually get worse with no questions asked, no deductible, OEM, and no issues after that.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
OMG, that is sucks.
Personally I would go with OEM. I think most insurance have deductible somewhere around $100-$200 for new windshield.
You can try with Safelite first (since it is free on most insurance company), if you are not satisfied, then you can go with replacing it.
Just what I was thinking. Like Artdnj said HUD, that is my concern, plus the fact that my vehicle isn't even 3 months old yet.

It was an empty flatbed truck that had dirt and gravel all over the bed. The rock that hit me was about the size of a quarter. Hopefully they can "repair" it with sealant.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Definitely go with OEM. I had that happen on my FX35. Got it replaced from my brother's friend's shop who had some third party do the windshield. Two times they did it - first time there was a terrible air leak/whistle sound in multiple areas that came from poor sealing. Second time (I took it back the next day), the owner of that third party shop did it himself in front of me....better than the first time, but there is still a slight air leak that can be heard at high speeds on the highway. It's been about 5 years with it. It's been terrible for winter months because the car windshield fogs up like crazy and takes forever to clear that cold interior condensation. Obviously not all windshield people are the same. I just had bad luck and didn't want to spend more money to get it resealed nor take it back to the same people thinking they'd make it even worse.
      06-30-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Same thing on my QX56, safelite couldn't get the windshield and I was told I had to drive 2 hours away to someone who had the $1200 OEM windshield. I believe rain sensing wipers was the issue at the time.

Then I stopped at me local reputable body shop who was one of the select repair facilities for my ins co(njm). They said no problem, approved by ins co and I paid my 50 comp deductible and I was good as new in 1 day.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm with all you guys on the OEM replacement. I found out that the windshield is made by Guardian FWIW!

I will try first and see if they can repair the crack by injecting sealant in it and if looks crappy, I'll go for the replacement. My issue is of time. We are going on vacation at the end of this week and driving for several hours one way. I don't know if it will spread so that's why I'm opting for the repair first.

Second, I've had windshields replaced and less than half were satisfactory on the first replacement. There is always an air leak, noise or molding that was not replace right or even scratched, hence my other reason to go with repair first. If it can't be repaired then new it is!!

Thanks for the comments, always nice to share some misery with fellow enthusiasts who understand.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

I have repaired my windshield 4 times and replaced 2 times on my old cars (not BMW). Anything that's lesser than a dollar bill can be repaired (unless the damage is too deep).

Contact safe-lite and they have a free mobile consultation too.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
I have repaired my windshield 4 times and replaced 2 times on my old cars (not BMW). Anything that's lesser than a dollar bill can be repaired (unless the damage is too deep).

Contact safe-lite and they have a free mobile consultation too.
Well, I kind of think the repair is out of the question. Got up this morning and looked and the crack spread 3/4 of the drivers side and about 1/2 of the passenger side, a lot larger than a dollar bill.

Called my dealer and they have ordered a new windshield (OEM) will cost about $1200+ installation in which they use a third party at their dealership. Insurance is $250 deductible, so I guess I have to pay that for the pleasure of hearing a rock go ping off the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
Well, I kind of think the repair is out of the question. Got up this morning and looked and the crack spread 3/4 of the drivers side and about 1/2 of the passenger side, a lot larger than a dollar bill.

Called my dealer and they have ordered a new windshield (OEM) will cost about $1200+ installation in which they use a third party at their dealership. Insurance is $250 deductible, so I guess I have to pay that for the pleasure of hearing a rock go ping off the windshield.
I am sorry to hear that.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Artdnj
Captain
United_States
Rep

Reduce your comp to 50, cost per year is negligible as glass, body work repair is through the roof.

In the good old days you could get a windshield for a couple hundred, now it's as you said over 12
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep

I guess as the old saying goes, it is what it is!! With my insurance, the comp going to $50 is quit a bit more than $250. I'll have to see if there are any changes I can make when my policy expires in August. Until then, I hope you guys don't have the same fate that I did!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt View Post
I guess as the old saying goes, it is what it is!! With my insurance, the comp going to $50 is quit a bit more than $250. I'll have to see if there are any changes I can make when my policy expires in August. Until then, I hope you guys don't have the same fate that I did!
Ah, I'm really sorry, bro. That's a nuisance. I actually had two incidents where I was lucky.

1) I gut cut off by a truck hauling an old cement machine that was flying pieces of hardened cement backward; I am just happy I have the 5.0i. My car was in Sport mode. and I made a really fast lane shift before anything hit my car and blazed past the guy.

2) I was driving behind a large 18-wheeler truck and his right rear tire blew out completely. The idiot refused to pull over immediately and kept driving. I started to see gravel flying up from the road where his rim was grinding against, and I slowed down hard and shifted with Sport mode once again and zoomed past him. Everyone shifted over due to fear of something happening. He kept driving and didn't get off the road.

Overall, I'm very happy with how this car performs, especially in sticky situations.