BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

07-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: RR Diesel, F450

2014 X5d delivered, first impressions and time from order to delivery

Well, I picked her up last night. And, before everyone jumps all over me for pictures... I'm a pretty serious photographer and will get some good pictures up here of the new baby, just didn't have time yet!

I assume this is one of the last 2014's that will ever be built. Ordered 6/13/2014, delivered 6/31/2014 to my dealer in South Florida. Final price was about 1K over invoice.

x35d
M sport
Mineral White
Mocha Nappa design package
Fineline oak
Cold weather
Driver assistance/Driver assistance plus
ACC Stop/Go + Active driving assistant
Lighting package
Luxury Seating
20" style 469 rims
Adaptive M suspension
Premium package
4 zone climate
Parking assistant
Rear window shades
Harmon Kardon
MSRP: 79,600

I've only driven 60 miles or so, but, wanted to get my first thoughts out there to anyone considering these option packages; I'll update this as I become more familiar with the truck and the features.

Overall - Truck looks great in this color, the 20" rims fill up the wheel wells nicely. The rims have a little "M" detail near the hub, very subtle and cool looking. Love the way the M sport body kit looks.

Adaptive M suspension - Does not feel "hard" to me compared to the normal suspension. I haven't pushed it yet, but, I was very worried about ordering this option because I never got to drive a car with it before ordering. I'm happy I did it, especially at 900 dollars! The car feels tight and not like it's riding on the ground or it's a sports car. Just feels "solid".

ACC Stop+Go - This option is incredible. I've never, in any car, ever, had such an easy drive in traffic as with the X5 on the way home with this enabled. Just keep it in the lane and watch for red lights (which, make sure you do! It's easy to get lulled into giving up control to the car). Took about 5 minutes with this to realize that I'm going to love this for S. FL driving! Total "must do" in my opinion.

HK sound - This is noticeably better than the stock system. It's also a cheap option. If you're into music, I'd say get it. Another option that was very difficult to locate on an X5 to preview ahead of time.

Rear window sunshades - Put these up on delivery, probably won't take them down until we turn it in. A great option if you live in the heat. My Jag has them, have had them down maybe twice since I bought the car. Keep the interior much cooler in the FL sun.

Interior design package - I've done enough raving on this in other threads. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves when I put them up. It's gorgeous, leather feels great, looks great and smells great. The leather dash truly elevates the vehicle into the "near super luxury class". If this option wasn't available, I wouldn't have bought this truck. I didn't even want to look at BMW because all the ones that I had seen in the past had such a spartan interior. It's still not a Jaguar or a Aston M/RR interior, but it's in the same zip code now, it doesn't look like a stripper sitting next to my car. Thank you BMW for giving us this option!

Lighting package - There's a whole lot of buttons on this car to control lighting, I'm still trying to figure it out! The lights look great, very white and bright. The auto high beams seem to hunt a little bit (they turn off when they see street signs sometimes). I want to get the car coded to turn on the full adaptive lighting (which is why I got this package). As it currently stands, they seem "better" than the stock lights, but I'm not sure they are worth 1.9K if you're not going to code the car to enable what they are actually capable of (leaving the high beams on all the time and making a "hole" in the light for oncoming traffic). I'll update on this when/if I code it.

First driving impressions.. Well, still in the break-in period, so, I'll be taking it easy for a few weeks. Truck feels very strong pulling away from a light, a lot more "pop" than the ML350 it replaced. Much more connected to the road than the ML. However, when it rained last night, I felt more "float" in the X5 (it felt like it wanted to hydroplane) more than in the ML. Probably the wider tires, still way too soon to get a good feel for how it handles in the wet and dry. The tires are still very new, so they will certainly need some time to loose the new tire "grease".

A few random thoughts, the cabin is quieter than the ML was, no doubt about it (the ML was a 2012, the latest redesign). I LOVE that nothing gets disabled when you are driving (navigation, etc), the Jaguar and ML both disable just about everything navigation related (and the ML even some other stuff) when you're driving. The HUD is awesome, I'm going to miss that in my car. I love how it shows the info from the radio up there, that's really nice.

Oh, a small thing, but the FM radio in the car is awesome. The way it scans all the channels and makes it so you only go from one "good" channel to another (with info based on what the channel sends out) is awesome. Another thing I didn't realize but liked immediately.

The back seat, when I'm in my driving position, is surprisingly tight. A 6'+ adult would not be happy sitting behind me for a long distance. I'm used to the legroom in the "L" version of the XJ, the X5 doesn't have nearly as much room behind the first row. Sitting behind my wife anyone who's not in the NBA would be very happy. I wonder if they are ever going to come out with an "L" version of the X5. Seems like that would be something that people would like to have who carry passengers often (not me, that's what my car is for).

Ok, this is getting pretty long, let me stop there, I'll add more as I spend more time in the car!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^^^ a new happy driver. 2 weeks only. 20" great choice for year round.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed
Well, I picked her up last night. And, before everyone jumps all over me for pictures... I'm a pretty serious photographer and will get some good pictures up here of the new baby, just didn't have time yet!

I assume this is one of the last 2014's that will ever be built. Ordered 6/13/2014, delivered 6/31/2014 to my dealer in South Florida. Final price was about 1K over invoice.

x35d
M sport
Mineral White
Mocha Nappa design package
Fineline oak
Cold weather
Driver assistance/Driver assistance plus
ACC Stop/Go + Active driving assistant
Lighting package
Luxury Seating
20" style 469 rims
Adaptive M suspension
Premium package
4 zone climate
Parking assistant
Rear window shades
Harmon Kardon
MSRP: 79,600

I've only driven 60 miles or so, but, wanted to get my first thoughts out there to anyone considering these option packages; I'll update this as I become more familiar with the truck and the features.

Overall - Truck looks great in this color, the 20" rims fill up the wheel wells nicely. The rims have a little "M" detail near the hub, very subtle and cool looking. Love the way the M sport body kit looks.

Adaptive M suspension - Does not feel "hard" to me compared to the normal suspension. I haven't pushed it yet, but, I was very worried about ordering this option because I never got to drive a car with it before ordering. I'm happy I did it, especially at 900 dollars! The car feels tight and not like it's riding on the ground or it's a sports car. Just feels "solid".

ACC Stop+Go - This option is incredible. I've never, in any car, ever, had such an easy drive in traffic as with the X5 on the way home with this enabled. Just keep it in the lane and watch for red lights (which, make sure you do! It's easy to get lulled into giving up control to the car). Took about 5 minutes with this to realize that I'm going to love this for S. FL driving! Total "must do" in my opinion.

HK sound - This is noticeably better than the stock system. It's also a cheap option. If you're into music, I'd say get it. Another option that was very difficult to locate on an X5 to preview ahead of time.

Rear window sunshades - Put these up on delivery, probably won't take them down until we turn it in. A great option if you live in the heat. My Jag has them, have had them down maybe twice since I bought the car. Keep the interior much cooler in the FL sun.

Interior design package - I've done enough raving on this in other threads. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves when I put them up. It's gorgeous, leather feels great, looks great and smells great. The leather dash truly elevates the vehicle into the "near super luxury class". If this option wasn't available, I wouldn't have bought this truck. I didn't even want to look at BMW because all the ones that I had seen in the past had such a spartan interior. It's still not a Jaguar or a Aston M/RR interior, but it's in the same zip code now, it doesn't look like a stripper sitting next to my car. Thank you BMW for giving us this option!

Lighting package - There's a whole lot of buttons on this car to control lighting, I'm still trying to figure it out! The lights look great, very white and bright. The auto high beams seem to hunt a little bit (they turn off when they see street signs sometimes). I want to get the car coded to turn on the full adaptive lighting (which is why I got this package). As it currently stands, they seem "better" than the stock lights, but I'm not sure they are worth 1.9K if you're not going to code the car to enable what they are actually capable of (leaving the high beams on all the time and making a "hole" in the light for oncoming traffic). I'll update on this when/if I code it.

First driving impressions.. Well, still in the break-in period, so, I'll be taking it easy for a few weeks. Truck feels very strong pulling away from a light, a lot more "pop" than the ML350 it replaced. Much more connected to the road than the ML. However, when it rained last night, I felt more "float" in the X5 (it felt like it wanted to hydroplane) more than in the ML. Probably the wider tires, still way too soon to get a good feel for how it handles in the wet and dry. The tires are still very new, so they will certainly need some time to loose the new tire "grease".

A few random thoughts, the cabin is quieter than the ML was, no doubt about it (the ML was a 2012, the latest redesign). I LOVE that nothing gets disabled when you are driving (navigation, etc), the Jaguar and ML both disable just about everything navigation related (and the ML even some other stuff) when you're driving. The HUD is awesome, I'm going to miss that in my car. I love how it shows the info from the radio up there, that's really nice.

Oh, a small thing, but the FM radio in the car is awesome. The way it scans all the channels and makes it so you only go from one "good" channel to another (with info based on what the channel sends out) is awesome. Another thing I didn't realize but liked immediately.

The back seat, when I'm in my driving position, is surprisingly tight. A 6'+ adult would not be happy sitting behind me for a long distance. I'm used to the legroom in the "L" version of the XJ, the X5 doesn't have nearly as much room behind the first row. Sitting behind my wife anyone who's not in the NBA would be very happy. I wonder if they are ever going to come out with an "L" version of the X5. Seems like that would be something that people would like to have who carry passengers often (not me, that's what my car is for).

Ok, this is getting pretty long, let me stop there, I'll add more as I spend more time in the car!
Nice review! Congrats!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
HansRobert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 40e

Congrats and thanks for taking the time to share your opinions of the options you choose. It is very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Congrats and good review.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Congratulations on your X5 and welcome to the Mineral White club!

As others have said, great review! It takes a lot of time and effort to write something with such detail, so thank you for that .

I know you're tall, but do you sit really far back? I know my cousin likes to, so it's always uncomfortable for the people behind him in almost ANY car, lol. The XJ is obviously a very long luxury sedan, so you can't really compare that to the X5 . Cars like that would be better compared to the X7 or Mercedes GL, etc, right?
      07-01-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

The optional comfort rear seats slide back a little (and also recline) but it's not an earth shattering difference compared to the standard seating. I doubt BMW would offer a long wheelbase version considering the upcoming X7 will offer more space.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Congratulations on your X5 and welcome to the Mineral White club!

As others have said, great review! It takes a lot of time and effort to write something with such detail, so thank you for that .

I know you're tall, but do you sit really far back? I know my cousin likes to, so it's always uncomfortable for the people behind him in almost ANY car, lol. The XJ is obviously a very long luxury sedan, so you can't really compare that to the X5 . Cars like that would be better compared to the X7 or Mercedes GL, etc, right?
Yes, I do sit far back, even for someone my height. That's just where I'm most comfortable. My wife would be comfortable in the back seat behind me (she's 5'1" on a good day). I would not be comfortable behind someone who's positioned the seat as I do.

The XJ is just about 210" long. The X5 is about 190" long. So, yeah, there's going to be a big difference between the 2. The normal XJ is pretty comfortable in the back, I have the "L" which adds another 6" to that area. In just about any case you can think of, unless Shaq is driving, you're going to be comfortable in the back seat of the XJL.

Frankly, the only thing that's comparable for back seat comfort to the XJL is another "L" sedan. A8L, 7 series L, S class, etc. All of those cars hover around 207-210 inches long. Most of the SUVs hover in the 175-200 range. The big boys (GL, LX, etc) have a bit more room in the back, but, frankly, they typically give up 2nd row comfort to get the 3rd row. I've never been in anything like the back seats in the "flagship" sedans, those are the best available (because there's no compromise for room behind the 2nd row).

All that said, I was a bit surprised, the X5 feels like it should be bigger in the 2nd row than it is. I wonder if it's the MC seats, those things are huge, and, taking up another 1-2" of room would make a big difference. I honestly could care less about it, it's about 1 time a year when I have 4 big guys in the car together, and, when I do, I'm going to take the Jag anyway. As long as you have a "normal" load (2 men and 2 women) you're going to all be extremely comfortable. And, uncomfortable isn't the right word. I just wouldn't want to sit behind someone my height for a 6 hour drive. 1-2 hours would be fine. And some adjustment on the front seat, I'm sure you could make everyone happy.

Mineral white looks great on this truck IMHO. And I'm so happy to have my wife in something other than black. She loves black but hates the car wash. That's a bad combination!
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #9
Overtaxed
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand99 View Post
Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!!

The optional comfort rear seats slide back a little (and also recline) but it's not an earth shattering difference compared to the standard seating. I doubt BMW would offer a long wheelbase version considering the upcoming X7 will offer more space.
I wonder if the X7 will get you more space between row 1 and 2, or just more space between row 2 and 3 (or row 3 and the back of the truck)? As I mentioned above, it's not common to have really great legroom in any SUV compared to the "L" sedans, the "X5L" would have 6 more inches in the car, but not behind the 2nd row, between the 2nd row and the 1st row. RR has this option in the big one (LWB) and it makes the back seats just like they are in my Jag. I don't think any of the other manufacturers have followed suit in the SUVs; if you want "first class airline seats" in back of your vehicle and want an SUV, I think the RR is the only option out there.

Of course, you could just buy another X5 and have the other couple drive themselves for the cost of the big RR. That would probably make everyone happier!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

Yeah, you're probably right, they may just use the extra space to offer more legroom in the 3rd row on the X7. And I agree with you that the X5's seats do contribute to the lack of 2nd row legroom. I wouldn't want thinner front seats though!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #11
stewy604
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 xDrive 35d M Sport

Congrats on your new purchase and as said above, thank you for taking the time to post up that very complete review, well done! Nice to see another Mineral White M Sport rolling around. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0