BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Used F15 things to look for?

Starting to travel and look at a few used F15's - are there any car specific things I need to watch out for? Not obvious things, but things that are known on these I need to look for to see?

I read through the "Post your F15 issues here" and took some notes - but anything else?

For example - when I was looking at a car before - it had an issue that only showed up when you drove in tight circles in a parking lot to hear it - I would have never known to look for that had I not read it in advance. Any hidden things that are known to break would be a big help. I'm the guy that takes the flash light and inspects every inch top to bottom usually. I don;t mind a few issues - I just like to know them when I but it.

They seem to be pretty solid - but I'd rather find everything BEFORE I buy if you know what I mean......
      11-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #2
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Transmission ZF8 is very solid. Engine good old n55 - is very solid. Body of f15 is very solid (in terms of corrosion etc). There really are not many common issues in f15 - imho it's one of the most reliable models released by BMW within last 10 years.

Some things that we encountered so far:
1. Steering column tilt/zoom motor might stop working
2. Lower front control arms might make noise during low speed maneuvering (e.g. parking)
3. iDrive glitches reported occasionally

None of above mentioned issues are really widespread, but happened to couple forum members here.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #3
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuSh View Post
Transmission ZF8 is very solid. Engine good old n55 - is very solid. Body of f15 is very solid (in terms of corrosion etc). There really are not many common issues in f15 - imho it's one of the most reliable models released by BMW within last 10 years.

2. Lower front control arms might make noise during low speed maneuvering (e.g. parking)

None of above mentioned issues are really widespread, but happened to couple forum members here.
Quote:

I saw #1 and #2. #2 I can fix for myself, but I'll try and check these items out. Thanks for the tips!!
      11-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #4
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:

All three were fixed under warranty for me.

I also did a transmission fluid change to extend the life of the transmission.
DuSh2113.50
      11-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
ronmexico385
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Luxury Line

We have had a lot of little things fixed/replaced under warranty in the 2 years since buying a CPO 2014 X5. Too much plastic under the hood. From memory:

-some plastic intake tube that was making a clicking noise on acceleration
-oil leaking from valve cover gasket and around filter
-rear air bags leaking (suspension)
-noisy fan belt (maybe it was tensioner, can’t remember)
-leak from oil pan gasket
-leaking from turbo coolant hose
-cracked front control arm bushings (minor, no symptoms)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Service history will give you a good idea of not only general maintenance, but any issues that needed repair or other concerns identified by the prior owner.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #7
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Service history will give you a good idea of not only general maintenance, but any issues that needed repair or other concerns identified by the prior owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post

Assuming they take it into the Dealer and do not do most of it themselves at home.....Like I usually so!

I always ask for the service history if I can and they have it, but I never have it when I resale because I do 95% myself. Sometimes I think I buy used cars so I can work on them. It soothes my soul.

Thanks for all the recommends - I'll be as thorough as I can, but a list always helps.