BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
F15X5
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Msport

Picked up my 2014 x5 msport about 2 weeks ago. USB port in the armrest seemed to work well until a few days ago. I tried multiple cables and different phones. It disconnects and reconnects on and off rapidly and does not stay connected for longer than a second or 2. I tried my iPhone 4s and my wife's iPhone 5.

Anyone experience anything like this? Just checking before taking it into the dealer. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Are you 100% positive that USB is selected permanently in the Media button section? If so, yes, then you should get this checked. Also, try connected an AUX cable and select AUX in the Media button section to make sure the whole console is not messed up. AUX actually sounds really good and works without issues ever. Just double check that. I currently use this AUX cable with 2 angled sides: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works fantastic and the sound is really clear. For even better quality/sound, I use this DAC converter for my Note 3 (android phone): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They make a USB version as well: http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digi...E4BPYFF1ABBAKS. This company works pretty well from other head-fi reviews I have seen strictly for iPhones: http://www.amazon.com/E02i-Rocky-Hea...m_cr_pr_sims_t.

Also, this might help regarding USB. Turn off your bluetooth. My DAC would not work when bluetooth was interefering with it because the phone connected to the bluetooth and ignored the DAC connection which connects via the micro-usb port of the phone much like how you connect your USB to the lightning port of your iPhone 5. If it is indeed interfering, then bluetooth is the culprit. I just turned bluetooth off from my car menu because I use bluetooth on my phone to connect to my Pebble so I didn't want to turn the phone's bluetooth off.

Still, get your usb checked like you planned. Those are just some good alternatives to really boosting your sound. The standard hifi is complete crap on my car, so I use the AUX and DAC and the difference is seriously night and day. It's as if I upgraded my speaker system - there's no more high volume scratchiness or out of pitch noise.

Let me know if anything changes with the advice above. I'll try to help further to figure out your problem, but those are good places to start.
      06-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
gorun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML63 PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15X5
Picked up my 2014 x5 msport about 2 weeks ago. USB port in the armrest seemed to work well until a few days ago. I tried multiple cables and different phones. It disconnects and reconnects on and off rapidly and does not stay connected for longer than a second or 2. I tried my iPhone 4s and my wife's iPhone 5.

Anyone experience anything like this? Just checking before taking it into the dealer. Thanks!
Happened to me once. I pulled off and then reconnected the usb cable a couple of minutes later and all was fine. The usb slot seems to be rather flimsy...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
F15X5
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by opasha View Post
Are you 100% positive that USB is selected permanently in the Media button section? If so, yes, then you should get this checked. Also, try connected an AUX cable and select AUX in the Media button section to make sure the whole console is not messed up. AUX actually sounds really good and works without issues ever. Just double check that. I currently use this AUX cable with 2 angled sides: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It works fantastic and the sound is really clear. For even better quality/sound, I use this DAC converter for my Note 3 (android phone): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. They make a USB version as well: http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digi...E4BPYFF1ABBAKS. This company works pretty well from other head-fi reviews I have seen strictly for iPhones: http://www.amazon.com/E02i-Rocky-Hea...m_cr_pr_sims_t.

Also, this might help regarding USB. Turn off your bluetooth. My DAC would not work when bluetooth was interefering with it because the phone connected to the bluetooth and ignored the DAC connection which connects via the micro-usb port of the phone much like how you connect your USB to the lightning port of your iPhone 5. If it is indeed interfering, then bluetooth is the culprit. I just turned bluetooth off from my car menu because I use bluetooth on my phone to connect to my Pebble so I didn't want to turn the phone's bluetooth off.

Still, get your usb checked like you planned. Those are just some good alternatives to really boosting your sound. The standard hifi is complete crap on my car, so I use the AUX and DAC and the difference is seriously night and day. It's as if I upgraded my speaker system - there's no more high volume scratchiness or out of pitch noise.

Let me know if anything changes with the advice above. I'll try to help further to figure out your problem, but those are good places to start.
Thanks, I'll give the AUX a try just to see if it's everything in the armrest. My wife doesn't play music threw the USB, it's strictly for charging her phone. you hear it disconnect and reconnect like crazy on her iphone. That's when I plugged mine in and it was doing the same exact thing, funny how it worked fine for about a week and a half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Happened to me once. I pulled off and then reconnected the usb cable a couple of minutes later and all was fine. The usb slot seems to be rather flimsy...
That worked for about 5 mins and then it went back to doing the same thing. I'll try a few more things before bringing it in to the dealer and let you guys know. I hate taking my cars in because it never seems to come back the same way.. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
rlc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 - '04 E85 - '16 F15d

Garage List
2016 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.5i Roadster  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F15X5 View Post
Thanks, I'll give the AUX a try just to see if it's everything in the armrest. My wife doesn't play music threw the USB, it's strictly for charging her phone.....

On page 179 of the owners manual the notes say not to use the USB port for charging external devices. If your wife is only plugging in to charge then there are some great dual port chargers for the 12V outlet in the center console that will likely result in more efficient charging.
      06-12-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks, I'll give the AUX a try just to see if it's everything in the armrest. My wife doesn't play music threw the USB, it's strictly for charging her phone. you hear it disconnect and reconnect like crazy on her iphone. That's when I plugged mine in and it was doing the same exact thing, funny how it worked fine for about a week and a half.

That is definitely frustrating. It must be a fault port. Did you test the cables with your computer to make sure they aren't causing issues? I'm sure you did, just double checking .

That worked for about 5 mins and then it went back to doing the same thing. I'll try a few more things before bringing it in to the dealer and let you guys know. I hate taking my cars in because it never seems to come back the same way.. LOL
I agree. I hate taking it for service for such minor things and have the car having been driven or interior pieces being slightly scratched/damaged. It's really annoying how people don't respect the 70K+ price we pay.
      06-12-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
Mine works perfectly fine until the moment.
Maybe you should have it checked out..probably a result of getting the first MY.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
AG64
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive35i

Kinda of silly question. Are you using 'genuine' Apple cable(s)? I've had issues with others, even with the ones allegedly 'certified'. Also, I got tired of plugging unplugging the cables from various devices and got a short USB 3.0 'extension cable'.
Next on the list is phone cradle removal, got the part a couple of days ago
      06-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I received my phone cradle (snap-in connect) for iphone 5s, it works as expected but it is quite annoying that you have to open the bmw connected app each time you want to snap the phone in your car, to use web radio or bmw apps for instance. Also, the phone part still use bluetooth.
In fact, most of the time I'm not using it. :/

Concerning the USB issues, you can try to check if an idrive update is available. I had few issues on my brand new I solved by updating the system.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Same as above... I had the issue with non-apple cables.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 07:47 PM   #11
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:

Hello, I know it been a while since you posted this issues, but I just got my new F15 (on Dec 2015) and the center console USB port started to disconnect and reconnect on and off rapidly, exactly as you mentioned, just wondering how did you fix this issue? I'm using an original Apple cable on my iPhone5

thanks in advance!
      02-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
cmobley
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5

Didn't anybody figure out the charging going in/out on these? I'm having the same exact issue.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

I have been having this issue on my 2016 X5 40e from day 1. Seems to be working a bit better lately but every once and a while it freaks out again. I am interested in seeing if there was a permanent fix. Please do not tell me to try a different cable, I tried over 5 of them and still had the same issue. It seems to be that the phone is drawing too much power for that little USB port, also seems to be happening more for those of us with phone cradles. I think between the cradle, fan and lighter plug in the center armrest storage compartment, there is a power struggle between these outlets.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      02-14-2017, 11:55 PM   #14
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

My X3 and X5 seem to have same issue. Got brand new cables and still flipping back and forth. I've lease 5 F-series BMW since 2014 and all do the same thing, including one M3. I found it has to do with pinching the cable with the armrest cover, which leads to failure of the cable. Very annoying having to buy a new cable every few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I reserve usb for flash drives and use 2.2 amp adapter for phone. New H-H2 actually outputs higher ampere.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:27 AM   #16
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I reserve usb for flash drives and use 2.2 amp adapter for phone. New H-H2 actually outputs higher ampere.
The how do you used BMW connected apps in the car (amazon music, or send address directly to Nav) if your phone is not connected directly via the USB port?
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      02-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #17
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmex200 View Post
My X3 and X5 seem to have same issue. Got brand new cables and still flipping back and forth. I've lease 5 F-series BMW since 2014 and all do the same thing, including one M3. I found it has to do with pinching the cable with the armrest cover, which leads to failure of the cable. Very annoying having to buy a new cable every few months.
I have been using the same cables in my car for over a year now, no issues. I have the braided ones they sell on Amazon.

I have found the way the armrest cover is designed there is a gap along the hinge in the middle of the clamshell covers. And to keep it there I bought some double-sided tape mounted cable guides so the cable doesn't get moved around in there. I recommend the "Command" tape ones, very useful.
      02-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #18
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I beg to differ. I highly doubt a small pinch caused enough deformity to increase the resistance. I believe it's the module not the cables.
Appreciate 1
MissVito212.00
      02-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #19
coolmex200
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 2016 X5 35i, F25d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
I beg to differ. I highly doubt a small pinch caused enough deformity to increase the resistance. I believe it's the module not the cables.
I would agree with you, but my f30 335, f80 M30, F25 x3, and f15 x2 all had the same issue. I replace the cable each time and it would work for a few months before "dying" again. Also, if I leave the armrest open, the cable seems to work. When I close it, then it doesn't. I don't have a reputable dealer nearby to have them check it. Either way, I'm not too worried since I stream via BT and have my music loaded into the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #20
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

USB disconnects/reconnects constantly

I've had this issue with my 2014 X5 since the beginning. I think it's a glitch in the vehicle. It's not the cables or the phones, I've tried everything except an Android phone. It happens with all our Apple phones and iPads. (they work fine in other brand cars like when we use a rental) It has to be a defect in the USB module, electronics, software, or some computer somewhere in the car. It is designed to have the phone plugged into the USB not just to charge, but to use iDrive functions and make full use of all the apps features (like Pandora). It should work right, not do this on/off thing. Using AUX doesn't allow for using app features. With mine, the USB becomes grayed-out (unrecognized) on the display although the phone is still charging. Bluetooth is grayed-out, and USB constantly disconnects and reconnects. (Once in a while I can trick it to get Bluetooth to work again.) I can make calls and talk to Siri, sometimes Bluetooth is completely inop and I can't use the phone through the car. It will fix itself when the car is turned off for 20 minutes or so, but it happens again. Bluetooth works fine if I never connect the cable, but then not all the apps' features work. Sometimes this glitch seems to cause my backup camera to not work also, it's just a black screen, happened maybe 3 or 4 times. Once or twice the display showed Bluetooth and USB lit up like I could choose from the two. That might be the way it's supposed to work? I took a pic of it. I do the software updates whenever they come out hoping it will fix it but no luck. Like others, I'm afraid to bring it in for fear they'll screw something up. I was hoping to find a TSB for it somewhere. I'll have to cave and bring it in but not without making a video of it or they won't believe me, just like when my soft-close doors used to open on their own while driving. Does this happen to everybody's BMW? Thinking I might just give up and get the F-Pace instead if they can't fix this thing. A $60K+ vehicle shouldn't have this stuff happening. Has anyone had this issue and got it fixed properly?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #21
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The cable issue is pretty widespread. Most don't notice it or have up on fixing the issue. Now the doors opening while driving that's a pretty big deal. Tell me more because I have soft closing doors too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #22
MissVito
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i, M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
The cable issue is pretty widespread. Most don't notice it or have up on fixing the issue. Now the doors opening while driving that's a pretty big deal. Tell me more because I have soft closing doors too.
The doors would randomly pop open (become ajar) when driving although the door locks were down. (Had about 4000 miles on it I think) First time it happened early morning as I was merging onto a highway. It was still dark and suddenly all the interior lights turned on, the door open indicator lit up and the driver's door opened about 1/2-3/4", and air was rushing in, while the door was still locked. Scared the daylights out of me. (It could have caused an accident) I held onto the door not knowing if it would open more; I tried to pull it shut but couldn't. There wasn't anywhere to pull over so I waited until I wasn't around any cars and I opened the door quickly and shut it. Same thing eventually happened to each door (I'd freak out if I had a kid sitting next to one of those doors). I didn't tell my husband at first but then it happened when he was driving and he said, "WTF!?" Then I told him it happened before - he was pretty pissed. When we brought it in the service rep didn't believe me saying I must not have closed the door all the way when I left. Luckily I took videos for proof. He sent the videos to BMW. I discovered that there were many instances of this happening on BMWs w/soft close doors for several years. They had my car for 6 days and put new Bowden (?) cables in each door as well as new improved latches. There's a TSB for it and I noticed soft-close is now an option, not mandatory, with comfort access. I filed a NHTSA complaint and there were several others with the same issue. Hasn't happened since they changed the parts out. Hope you don't have that issue.
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50