Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Pathway lights?

I don't know if I'm not understanding the function of pathway lighting but they seem completely useless to me.

When I arrive at night with the headlights on, the moment I open the drivers door all exterior lights shut off. They don't light my path. Similar to when unlocking the car in a dark spot, only the angle eyes come on, not the actual headlights.

Is this the expected function? I checked my iDrive settings and pathway lights is set to 60 seconds.

With Audi and MB I remember when unlocking the vehicle in a dark spot the headlights would come on and illuminate your path. Same for when arriving in a dark spot and locking the vehicle. Lights would stay on.

Is this something that just needs to be coded?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

if i remember correctly, i believe after you shut off the car.. you still need to click on your high beams once (pull the stalk back). after doing so, it shall light up the pathway for the defined time in idrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldpages View Post
I don't know if I'm not understanding the function of pathway lighting but they seem completely useless to me.

When I arrive at night with the headlights on, the moment I open the drivers door all exterior lights shut off. They don't light my path. Similar to when unlocking the car in a dark spot, only the angle eyes come on, not the actual headlights.

Is this the expected function? I checked my iDrive settings and pathway lights is set to 60 seconds.

With Audi and MB I remember when unlocking the vehicle in a dark spot the headlights would come on and illuminate your path. Same for when arriving in a dark spot and locking the vehicle. Lights would stay on.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks
Why do you need path lights once you get to the car and open the door. The path is now to the inside of your car lol. And you can code your headlights to stay on after shutdown for a certain period of time if I remember correctly.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
foldpages
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020

Garage List
2020 AMG E63 S  [0.00]
2020 Jeep Wrangler  [0.00]
2017 X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
if i remember correctly, i believe after you shut off the car.. you still need to click on your high beams once (pull the stalk back). after doing so, it shall light up the pathway for the defined time in idrive.
Thanks - I will give this a try. But how stupid is the whole concept of having to pull the stalk manually each time when i want lights on. Will this also activate the "welcome lights"?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #5
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Thanks - I will give this a try. But how stupid is the whole concept of having to pull the stalk manually each time when i want lights on. Will this also activate the "welcome lights"?
well the idea is you may not need the pathway lights all the time. so the times that you do need them, just pull the stalk.

not sure about the puddle lights
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Yeah...when you're in a well lit parking lot or street or other location that is well illuminated...why do you need to have your headlights stay on for 60 seconds (or at all)? And then have fellow pedestrians ponder if they should ask if you are aware that you left your headlights on?

I know a struggle whether to say something (especially if it is an older person or someone obviously distracted by a bunch of small kids etc)...in an attempt to be kind...but then feel stupid when they look at you as if you're crazy and don't know that they have auto headlights that are going to shut off.

BMW's design doesn't cause this issue. You can turn on the pathway lights (the details are in your owners manual and iDrive) only when you need them...not ALL the time.

Welcome lights are different than pathway lights in that "welcome lights" come on when you UNLOCK the car (using the remote fob)...and "pathway lights" come on when the DRIVER initiates them by pulling back briefly on the turn indicator stalk upon shut down of the engine. Again, the details on how to use welcome lights is in your paper back owners manual...or you can look it up in your iDrive manual...or you can google for a "BMW PDF owners manual for you model/model year and download it to your device of choice so that you can read up on info anytime you need it.

Welcome Light Info and Pathway Light Info from the f06 owners manual...should be similar to the f15:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-14-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 1