BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-16-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

Looking to buy X5 CPO vs aftermarket warranty

I am researching 2014 and up X5 50i. I am looking for one that has the M sport package mainly. Upgrade suspension is bonus. I am finding CPO are $38-44. I can get a used non certified X5 for about $5k-8K less. Is there an advantage to getting the CPO vs warranty? Can you guys recommend some 3rd party warranty that are good? After searching it looks like route66 no longer warranties the X5.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
I am researching 2014 and up X5 50i. I am looking for one that has the M sport package mainly. Upgrade suspension is bonus. I am finding CPO are $38-44. I can get a used non certified X5 for about $5k-8K less. Is there an advantage to getting the CPO vs warranty? Can you guys recommend some 3rd party warranty that are good? After searching it looks like route66 no longer warranties the X5.
A lot of people suggest not buying warranty and saving that money for future repairs.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      03-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
Yeah thats what I read as well but the 50i is a different animal and the repair costs seem outrageous. Someone on the forums here just last week had a gasket leak on his 50i with 57k miles and dealer charged 8k to replace.. wtf
holy moly...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #4
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thats what I read as well but the 50i is a different animal and the repair costs seem outrageous. Someone on the forums here just last week had a gasket leak on his 50i with 57k miles and dealer charged 8k to replace.. wtf
Was that the 2014+ x5 or the NT63 thats in the 2013 and older. I've read there are a lot of issues with that engine that non TU.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

I just had a turn signal indicator go out on my gauge cluster... BMW billed Toyota (my warranty is through them) $2400 for it. That just paid for half the cost of my warranty in one run, and I still have almost 2 years left of it I ended up fixing the idrive knob myself, but that would have been $1,000 or so, and I fixed the lane indicator motor noise myself, which would have also probably been $500-600.

Im usually not one for aftermarket warranties, but I had planned on keeping this one for a while and buying in addition to it next time, where as previous vehicles I was in and out of fairly quickly.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      03-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

We just bought an 2015 x35i. It has 6 months original warranty we could transfer. Consumer Reports say it has average reliability.

Do you do your own work? If not then the warranty will bring some peace of mind. However, warranties wouldn't be sold if the guarantor always lost money.

If you do your own work, then don't waste your money. Get a good copy of Ista+ and enjoy. The X5 has easy maintenance requirements. You can at the very least get a good OBD reader to check faults. I hooked up mine to the X5 as part of my test drive. Plus if you have the car fax history you can find its maintenance history.

Ours was a CPO that was bought by
Autonation. A non CPO price that has CPO maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComasF15 View Post
We just bought an 2015 x35i. It has 6 months original warranty we could transfer. Consumer Reports say it has average reliability.

Do you do your own work? If not then the warranty will bring some peace of mind. However, warranties wouldn't be sold if the guarantor always lost money.

If you do your own work, then don't waste your money. Get a good copy of Ista+ and enjoy. The X5 has easy maintenance requirements. You can at the very least get a good OBD reader to check faults. I hooked up mine to the X5 as part of my test drive. Plus if you have the car fax history you can find its maintenance history.

Lets say I find a X5 that is still in warranty, how much am I looking at to add warranty to it ? and what would be covered. I see several threads discussing gold and platinum plans. Does the year and mileage they are listing add on to existing ?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lets say I find a X5 that is still in warranty, how much am I looking at to add warranty to it ? and what would be covered. I see several threads discussing gold and platinum plans. Does the year and mileage they are listing add on to existing ?
As someone with a LONG time in the industry, both on the consumer and the service side, be VERY careful which warranty you buy. OEM will always be the best bet, and likely the most expensive for the following reasons:

Factory NEW OEM parts are used
Factory dealerships are authorized to do the work
Fluids and hoses are replaced when they are part of the repair
Gaskets are replaced
Repair is paid directly without you having to be in the middle
Repairs are authorized quickly and typically automated from the dealer

Now SOME aftermarket warranties do offer the same characteristics, however you will pay for them, and often they are only available at the time of sale from the selling dealer ie Toyota, Ford, etc. I bought my X5 from a buddy at Toyota, and they sold me the Toyota Premium care warranty, which has the exact same characteristics as the BMW warranty (BMW dealers authorized, new OEM parts only, dealer labor covered, all fluids and gaskets covered, 0 deductible etc), but these are rare as most dealers will push you into "their" in house warranty they sell, or an aftermarket one which pays them more. Most warranty companies offer a substantial commission for being sold, where as factory warranties offer very little, if any (Most dealers opt to sell their in house brand over factory OEM due to the profit margins, regardless of how pissed off the customers get once they have to actually use it).

Read the fine print on the warranty, here are some issues 90% of them have, and even a "covered part" will leave you with a substantial bill...

Non OEM parts - knock offs, or "certified replacement parts"
Used and remanufactured parts - common for engines, transmissions etc... no mileage or date limits either, so you could get stuck with a bomb that just gets you past the warranty expiration
fluids, hoses, gaskets and supporting parts not covered
"exclusions" list, which often excludes expensive and known failure parts such as certain electronics, throttle bodies, sensors etc
high deductibles, or "per item" deductibles (many won't do multiple repairs on a single ticket)
Labor cost limits, and often have a "network" of shops you can use, often excluding dealerships unless you pay the difference
No direct pay, meaning you pay the bill, and eventually you get reimbursed
extended wait times for "inspections", payments (no credit card feature or takes days to process), etc

The cheapest I could find for my 2015 X5 50i was $5,000 for 2 year/50K extension from BMW, and beyond that the price skyrocketed astronomically. BMW wouldn't give me a platinum coverage because I purchased the vehicle out of warranty by 4,000 miles and only offered powertrain, but said if I was in warranty still, it would have been the same $5,000 cost, but for full coverage. My Toyota plan was slightly less, but offered 2 year/24K with factory warranty coverage including fluids, gaskets, and 100% of the vehicle other than wearable items, unless they were part of the repair.

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The two posts above mention the most important points.

The 4/50 is only for original purchaser, for $800 I could transfer the balance of the warranty to me. Then I could purchase the extended warranty. IMHO the x35i does not need an extended warranty. The X5 is a very reliable vehicle with the 35 a little better than the 50, of course there are outliers. I can buy a lot of parts for $4k. Search for problems. Consumer Reports has good history on owner reported issues and some years do better than others. IIRC you can get on a BMW site input your VIN and get pricing for each tier.

YMMV
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      03-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #10
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The two posts above mention the most important points.

The 4/50 is only for original purchaser, for $800 I could transfer the balance of the warranty to me. Then I could purchase the extended warranty. IMHO the x35i does not need an extended warranty. The X5 is a very reliable vehicle with the 35 a little better than the 50, of course there are outliers. I can buy a lot of parts for $4k. Search for problems. Consumer Reports has good history on owner reported issues and some years do better than others. IIRC you can get on a BMW site input your VIN and get pricing for each tier.

YMMV
The 4/50 factory warranty is transferrable with no charge same goes for bmw extended warranty as it's transferrable to the next owner at no charge. I assume the 800$ transfer fee you paid was for the maintenance plan?
Did not transfer the warranty as there are only 4 months left. The information online said $800 to transfer the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

"Oh ic yea that has to be the maintenance warranty plan ,heard that was transferrable with no fee a few years back but they changed there policy and now charge 7-800$ to the next owner. If the car still has its factory warranty it can change from owner to owner at no cost."

I did find where the warranty was transferable between two private parties. You have to fill out a form and pay $200.

In the end game I'm convinced that by 2 to 3 years you've weeded out the item that have infant mortality, on the first owners warranty. Then you have 3 to 5 years where you have only replaceable item wear. Then you have a much longer period, depending on mileage, of replacing items with shorter lifespan like water pumps.

People who have problems are much more likely to report them. I've read that an unsatisfied customer, on average, will report 13 times while the satisfied will report 4 times. Problems then are well reported but are disproportionately represented. I found that other than the water pump the wasn't much that stood out. Although some years are better than others the X5 is a sold platform. Naturally you have to figure in confirmation bias, so do your due diligence.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      03-18-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
"Oh ic yea that has to be the maintenance warranty plan ,heard that was transferrable with no fee a few years back but they changed there policy and now charge 7-800$ to the next owner. If the car still has its factory warranty it can change from owner to owner at no cost."

I did find where the warranty was transferable between two private parties. You have to fill out a form and pay $200.

In the end game I'm convinced that by 2 to 3 years you've weeded out the item that have infant mortality, on the first owners warranty. Then you have 3 to 5 years where you have only replaceable item wear. Then you have a much longer period, depending on mileage, of replacing items with shorter lifespan like water pumps.

People who have problems are much more likely to report them. I've read that an unsatisfied customer, on average, will report 13 times while the satisfied will report 4 times. Problems then are well reported but are disproportionately represented. I found that other than the water pump the wasn't much that stood out. Although some years are better than others the X5 is a sold platform. Naturally you have to figure in confirmation bias, so do your due diligence.
The only warranty you have to pay to transfer is the CPO warranty. The original 4/50 essentially follows the car. There is nothing to transfer. If its still in the 4 yrs from the in-service date and under 50k miles, its under warranty.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      03-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #13
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can buy bmw's extended warranty from any dealer in the US with just your vin number and all you need is to have your key fob read by your local dealer and have the info sent to the dealer your purchasing the warranty from. Shop around like I did, I saved about 500$ for the plat 7/75k miles coverage. Didn't feel the need to get the 7/100k coverage since I only have about 26k miles highly doubt Id put an extra 74k in 3 and a half years. Bmw's extended warranty year/miles just adds on to your current factory warranty. So a 7/75k plan would add 3years/25k on top of your current 4/50k factory plan. If you want give me your email and I can send you the pdf of the different coverages I recieved. Also take note most suspension parts such as ball joints, bushings , wishbones and etc are covered only during the factory warranty not cpo or extended.
Sent you a PM with my email. How much should we look to pay for 7/75 platinum? Trying to figure out if its better to get X5 50i in warranty and get the coverage myself or just look for CPO. CPO is usually 4-8k more.

Also found this if its helpful to anyone
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Qs4Q8DFWswlMju
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
I just had a turn signal indicator go out on my gauge cluster... BMW billed Toyota (my warranty is through them) $2400 for it. That just paid for half the cost of my warranty in one run, and I still have almost 2 years left of it I ended up fixing the idrive knob myself, but that would have been $1,000 or so, and I fixed the lane indicator motor noise myself, which would have also probably been $500-600.

Im usually not one for aftermarket warranties, but I had planned on keeping this one for a while and buying in addition to it next time, where as previous vehicles I was in and out of fairly quickly.
$2400 dollars for a bad turn signal on gauges?

Well... They changed the entire gauge for a burnt out bulb. Of course it's going to cost that at the dealer lmao.

I would have taken it to a indy mechanic and have them install 6wb. free of charge lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post

$2400 dollars for a bad turn signal on gauges?

Well... They changed the entire gauge for a burnt out bulb. Of course it's going to cost that at the dealer lmao.

I would have taken it to a indy mechanic and have them install 6wb. free of charge lol
According to them, the bulbs aren't serviceable... since I had a warranty, I didn't bother to look though.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #16
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The only warranty you have to pay to transfer is the CPO warranty. The original 4/50 essentially follows the car. There is nothing to transfer. If its still in the 4 yrs from the in-service date and under 50k miles, its under warranty.
Cool, that is what I had thought initially. I guess I got warranty, maintenance plan and CPO confused. Thanks for the clarity.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #17
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Looking at a CPO 2016 (48,600 miles) with 9 months or 1,472 miles remaining on the warranty. I was quoted from the BMW dealership selling the car CPO warranty expires 12/24/20. To extend one additional year it is $4499. For 2 additional years it is $6599. This is CPO extension not bumper to bumper extension.

Is it me or this very high priced? Since the car is still in warranty I can extend the bumper the bumper correct? Is there a dealership you guys recommend that gives forum users the best price? How about alternatives ? I found another dealer selling a different 2015 X5 43K miles out of warranty but low miles was offering 48 month/ 60,000 miles exclusionary extended service agreement(warranty) for $3987 with a $200 deductible. I can do $100 dollar deductible for an additional $400 dollars added to the premium. $0 deductible will be an additional $750 (So $4737). This warranty was Ally Major Guard.

Are there any other companies that will offer me an aftermarket exclusionary policy directly that is reasonably priced and covers most parts ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #18
BimmerTy
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 X5 50i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Looking at a CPO 2016 (48,600 miles) with 9 months or 1,472 miles remaining on the warranty. I was quoted from the BMW dealership selling the car CPO warranty expires 12/24/20. To extend one additional year it is $4499. For 2 additional years it is $6599. This is CPO extension not bumper to bumper extension.

Is it me or this very high priced? Since the car is still in warranty I can extend the bumper the bumper correct? Is there a dealership you guys recommend that gives forum users the best price? How about alternatives ? I found another dealer selling a different 2015 X5 43K miles out of warranty but low miles was offering 48 month/ 60,000 miles exclusionary extended service agreement(warranty) for $3987 with a $200 deductible. I can do $100 dollar deductible for an additional $400 dollars added to the premium. $0 deductible will be an additional $750 (So $4737). This warranty was Ally Major Guard.

Are there any other companies that will offer me an aftermarket exclusionary policy directly that is reasonably priced and covers most parts ?
Those seem to be WAY overpriced. You should be able to get a platinum extended warranty for a few years for around the same. Reach out to Jeff Steel at Passport BMW.
2015 F15 X5 xDrive50i - M Sport - Space Grey Metallic - 21" 612M - Accelera Iota ST68's - Black Dakota - Leather Dash - Poplar Wood - Ceramic - Shawdowline - Anthracite - Adaptive M - Full LED - Executive - DA+ - Surround - HUD - Enhanced BT - Soft Close - B&O - ACC Stop & Go - Multi Contour - 4 Zone Climate - Comfort Seats - Cold Weather - Muffler Delete - Akrapovic Tips - F85 Grille - 35% Tint - BMW All Weather Mats -- Missing DHP, NV, Active Steering, Rear Entertainment, & Cooled Seats
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #19
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerTy View Post
Those seem to be WAY overpriced. You should be able to get a platinum extended warranty for a few years for around the same. Reach out to Jeff Steel at Passport BMW.
I reached out to him it appears he can't provide me a quote until the vechile is purchased

"The special pricing that we supply is only for the owner of record online with BMWNA. We are unable to put special cost quotes into the market in advance of a purchase. Once you purchase any BMW, simply reach out to me with your new VIN# and I will gladly assist you personally in getting the vehicle into your name and address online with BMWNA and provide the lowest cost for official BMW extended coverage."
Appreciate 0