BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #23
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I'm surprised a low-optioned car was used as a demo. Usually they are service loaners.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #24
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
That LCD mounted like that is normal. I assume you don't have HUD or some other requisite package for you to get the full LCD cluster. The two little "side light" could also mean the side indicators are on.

There is a dial on the left side where the light switch is. You can scroll it down to make the LCD backlight dimmer.
      03-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #25
hmtaylor
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 3.5i

So I sent a text to my SA this morning with the pictures I posted above. He showed it to someone in Service and I was told "that's not normal you need to bring it in." So my wife brought the car in and was told it's normal to see that LCD box like this when the car is not fully on, i.e. the ignition isn't on. However, I saw it when I was driving.

Again, I've never seen the LCD Box like it is in my pictures on other night pictures. Even the one posted above, you cannot see it. I tend to think there is a problem. They did a hard reset and thought that could fix the issue. If it doesn't then they are going to look into whether the entire thing needs to be replaced.

Fortunately, we are leasing so it's covered. To the extent anyone cares, I will update.

Thanks again for all of the responses.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #26
hmtaylor
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, Alpha.

Will try that (service mentioned that too).

We didn't care for the HUD. The car has nice wheels, mineral white exterior and mocha interior and was essentially brand new (protective sticker still on the display screen).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #27
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtaylor View Post
Thanks, Alpha.

We didn't care for the HUD. The car has nice wheels, mineral white exterior and mocha interior and was essentially brand new (protective sticker still on the display screen).
Good luck. It is inherent to any lcd screen to show back light. It's not OLED so the higher your backlight is turned up the brighter it will be. If you have the car just try turning down the knob and see if it dims.

And never heard of anyone not liking the hud. It's one of the best in the market. But hey to each their own.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #28
hmtaylor
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. It’s no different. Dimming the lights does work and it’s just as well since everything was overall too bright.

I’m just gonna let it drop, I have to say though, a few things got me:

1. I’ve seen plenty of night shots with this same display and I have never seen the LCD box stand out from the rest of the display like this.

2. On the 6A there is more LCD screen surface but you don’t see the LCD portions contrast with the rest or stand out like in the pictures I attached.

3. No one at the dealership who saw the picture said “oh that’s normal, that’s how they all look”. Instead they “tried to fix it” by doing a reset.

Guys I know it’s silly but when you drop coin and have the car for three days it’s startling when something seems off, or not with your expectations.

I still may mention something when I go pick up the tags - see what they say the 2d time around.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #29
jo2134
jo2134
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtaylor View Post
Thanks, Alpha.

Good luck. It is inherent to any lcd screen to show back light. It's not OLED so the higher your backlight is turned up the brighter it will be. If you have the car just try turning down the knob and see if it dims.

And never heard of anyone not liking the hud. It's one of the best in the market. But hey to each their own.
+1 on this

HUD is an option you can never do without after having it once. Had it on my past 3 BMWs and always spec it when ordering
2015 528xi Dark Graphite / Cinnamon Brown
2013 X5 50i Platinum Gray / Cinnamon Brown 20" Y-Spoke Wheels
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      03-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #30
smarty
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 F15 35iX M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo2134 View Post
+1 on this

HUD is an option you can never do without after having it once.
Absolutely. In fact, when I saw it the first time during my test drive, I knew I had to have it. It's just awesome, not just for speed limit and navi instructions (which are great by themselves), but phone contact list or recent calls, music list, warnings, etc.
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy191.50