BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / 991.1 GT3 /RR Dawn

Problem w/ New BMW X5m Seats

I love my new 2016 X5m in every way possible.... except the damn seats.

The reviewer for CNET described the seats like church pews and I have to agree. Also someone in that previous thread was tall like I am and did not like them either and opted for another car.

I find my head and neck can't find a proper home. My neck feels stiff after every fairly long drive...

I had a 2010 X5m and went on a few very long drives and loved THOSE seats. I have also owned multiple BMW models (10 total) and 4 Porsche 911s and one Panamera in the last 10 years.

These seats are so far tied for the worst I have experienced in terms of comfort with the 2013 Panamera S seats, which were hard and the headrest just didn't fit right either.

If anyone has any adjustment setting ideas, I am all ears. I don't like to be negative because my 2016 X5m is stunningly beautiful and an awesome car outside of the seats, but when you are tall like I am and have neck and back issues, all that beauty, performance and tech goes out the window when you are not comfortable driving it.

Currently I also have a 2015 911 GTS and those seats don't bother me like the new X5m.

Any suggestions anyone (besides getting another car)?

Thanks

Last edited by bryantmeyers; 08-27-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mgarage66.50
      08-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
carholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Sorry, but I love my seats. Was gonna get a Range Rover but rented one and hated those seats. I am so surprised you don't like these. How tall are you? I am 6 feet and these seats are great for me.
      08-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #3
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just got out of a 2013 X5 and though they did not have all the adjustment options, they were more comfortable at least to me.
I am 6'1" so close to your height.
The seats feel harder than any other X5/X6's I have owned (2008 X5, 2009 X6, 2010 X5m and a 2013 X5). The 2010 X5m seats were my favorite of all time.
Also I can't find a setting my neck is comfortable on with the headrest.
NOTE: I have bad neck and low back issues, so I am probably a lot more sensitive than most.

how do you adjust your seats to make them most comfortable? I have been trying everything.

Last edited by bryantmeyers; 08-27-2015 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #4
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
I find the seats in my X5M to be the most comfortable of any car I've owned. There are some controls to adjust the side bolsters and lumbar. Have you tried messing with those?
      08-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Maybe the following helps, for whatever it's worth -- I had the same seating discomfort on the X5 M, now solved as follows by "relearning" what I had been doing wrong for decades.

One month ago at the BMW Driving Experience course the instructor told us at the beginning to find a good seating position and advised to diligently follow this adjustment sequence:

1. first, vertically adjust your seat as high as possible (but leave at least one inch clearance from the roof) and incline the backrest so that your upper body sits at an angle of about 100 degrees with your thighs; please note that the X5 M backrest can be "doubly" adjusted by separately inclining its upper part (the "headrest" adjustment), which adds a difficulty that may require redoing the whole 1. to 4. sequence;

2. then, horizontally adjust the seat distance from the pedals by positioning the LEFT foot against the footrest so that the upper body can be comfortably "pinned" against the backrest by pushing the left foot against the footrest. Surprisingly, this adjustment needs to be quite precise, within about half an inch - and too near or too far becomes rapidly obvious.

3. then, adjust the driving wheel distance and height until you can fully cross your arms on the wheel without separating your back from the backrest; the wheel distance is much more important than its height, which can then be adjusted (and re-adjusted) to your liking;

4. only then start twiddling with side, lumbar and thigh supports -- and don't forget to always memorize the settings.

After a while you may need to repeat the whole sequence because some adjustments influence the others and your body also needs to adjust, but at least in my case after a while the discomfort was fully gone.

Until now I had been driving far too inclined and too far from the pedals - and it took me some time to really understand & accept the improvement, but now I feel really comfortable with the X5 M seat.
Appreciate 4
gqgambler716.00
FCX52368.50
      08-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #6
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Maybe the following helps, for whatever it's worth -- I had the same seating discomfort on the X5 M, now solved as follows by "relearning" what I had been doing wrong for decades.

One month ago at the BMW Driving Experience course the instructor told us at the beginning to find a good seating position and advised to diligently follow this adjustment sequence:

1. first, vertically adjust your seat as high as possible (but leave at least one inch clearance from the roof) and incline the backrest so that your upper body sits at an angle of about 100 degrees with your thighs; please note that the X5 M backrest can be "doubly" adjusted by separately inclining its upper part (the "headrest" adjustment), which adds a difficulty that may require redoing the whole 1. to 4. sequence;

2. then, horizontally adjust the seat distance from the pedals by positioning the LEFT foot against the footrest so that the upper body can be comfortably "pinned" against the backrest by pushing the left foot against the footrest. Surprisingly, this adjustment needs to be quite precise, within about half an inch - and too near or too far becomes rapidly obvious.

3. then, adjust the driving wheel distance and height until you can fully cross your arms on the wheel without separating your back from the backrest; the wheel distance is much more important than its height, which can then be adjusted (and re-adjusted) to your liking;

4. only then start twiddling with side, lumbar and thigh supports -- and don't forget to always memorize the settings.

After a while you may need to repeat the whole sequence because some adjustments influence the others and your body also needs to adjust, but at least in my case after a while the discomfort was fully gone.

Until now I had been driving far too inclined and too far from the pedals - and it took me some time to really understand & accept the improvement, but now I feel really comfortable with the X5 M seat.

Thank you AJOB - Pure Gold!! - That is exactly the advice I was looking for - I think I have been doing similar incorrect positions for a long time. I will report back later.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #7
bryantmeyers
Enlisted Member
Rep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyL-SjuJ8p4

This video is also very helpful on adjusting seats, mirrors etc. (It's a BMW driving school instructor).

After following advice of ajob and this video, everything is much better now.

Last edited by bryantmeyers; 08-27-2015 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #8
oryshi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10M5/335AH

I think they they are very comfortable seats. I came out of an S class and had a 7 series and find them as if not more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

Sport M Seats adjusting driving position

BUMP...

Great info as I am having some hard time finding a comfortable position.

Hopefully this will work
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:16 PM   #10
Apple Corps
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 M

In addition to all of the above guidance:

The seats in our Lexus GS 430 are quite supportive and very comfortable - 4 to 6 hour driving sessions and hardly any discomfort. They don't hold you in as well but the 430 is no M either.

My wife complained about our Lexus and BMW seats being too stiff on longer drives. So I went to a higher end upholstery shop an had them fabricate a sheepskin pad that is a little over 1" thick and she loves it. I gave it a try and find myself using it on longer trips as well. My description is that it is "forgiving" just a bit od additional cushioning. On shorter trips or when nearing the canyons & foothills I toss it in the back seat and have at it.

Perhaps this is not an elegant solution but it really makes a difference on those 8 - 12 hour day trips.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I have to agree with the OP. The seats in my E71s were the most comfortable seats ever. I had a ‘16 F16 for a few months and the seats sucked. I traded it in for the ‘16 F86 and while they are marginally better, I still miss the seats in the previous generation. I don’t hate the current seats as much as I did 3 years ago but I think it’s because I’m starting to forget how comfortable the old seats were.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:23 PM   #12
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

So after a month of driving my f85 and constantly changing and adjusting my seat I think today was the first day with the help of the above that my butt finally feels happier...
My GL550 seats felt awesome and supportive from day one for the past 4 years.

Still love the M just need some extra time with the seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
kamilkoc
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 GO5 (ordered)

How comfortable would those seats be for 6'5''? :/

Last edited by kamilkoc; 03-13-2019 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Chicago X
Freezing
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilkoc View Post
How comfortable would those seats be for 6'5''? :/
I guess it depends if you’re long in the torso or legs. I’m 6’5” and a bit longer in the legs. The only complaint I have is no adjustability to the bottom seat angle, as a bit more thigh support would be preferable.

The seats have plenty of fore-and-aft range for tall folks, but the steering wheel’s limited telescoping adjustment won’t allow for proper driving position at full seat travel.

The 2-part seat back recline is a great feature that I wish more cars had. Overall, the seats score about 8/10 for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 02:50 AM   #15
kamilkoc
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 GO5 (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago X View Post
I guess it depends if you’re long in the torso or legs. I’m 6’5” and a bit longer in the legs. The only complaint I have is no adjustability to the bottom seat angle, as a bit more thigh support would be preferable.

The seats have plenty of fore-and-aft range for tall folks, but the steering wheel’s limited telescoping adjustment won’t allow for proper driving position at full seat travel.

The 2-part seat back recline is a great feature that I wish more cars had. Overall, the seats score about 8/10 for me.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try to find some X5M nearby to try it myself. Now at least I have hope

Last edited by kamilkoc; 03-14-2019 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 03:36 AM   #16
Az9393
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86, BMW 650i E63

Quote:

Hey can you help me out with 2.? I’m not sure what it means and it seems to be the main part of the whole adjustment. I feel fine pushing against the foot rest in almost any seating position..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #17
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:

This is so helpful! Easy to follow and made a subtle but difference can be found on longer drives!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:03 AM   #18
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az9393 View Post
Quote:

Hey can you help me out with 2.? I’m not sure what it means and it seems to be the main part of the whole adjustment. I feel fine pushing against the foot rest in almost any seating position..
Should be easy... the idea is that your bottom should firmly rest against the back of the seat. This is necessary for long term confort.

To get it there, you either have to lift yourself and slide backwards as much as possible, or you help yourself by pushing your left foot against the footrest.

To be able to push with ease with the left foot, you need to move the seat at exactly the right distance.

So, first you place your bottom well against the back of the seat and then you move the seat, towards the front or the back, so that the left foot rest comfortably against the footrest.

From now on, if your body moves forward, you can easily reposition it by pushing with the left foot.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 11:46 AM   #19
Az9393
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey can you help me out with 2.? I'm not sure what it means and it seems to be the main part of the whole adjustment. I feel fine pushing against the foot rest in almost any seating position..
Should be easy... the idea is that your bottom should firmly rest against the back of the seat. This is necessary for long term confort.

To get it there, you either have to lift yourself and slide backwards as much as possible, or you help yourself by pushing your left foot against the footrest.

To be able to push with ease with the left foot, you need to move the seat at exactly the right distance.

So, first you place your bottom well against the back of the seat and then you move the seat, towards the front or the back, so that the left foot rest comfortably against the footrest.

From now on, if your body moves forward, you can easily reposition it by pushing with the left foot.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey can you help me out with 2.? I'm not sure what it means and it seems to be the main part of the whole adjustment. I feel fine pushing against the foot rest in almost any seating position..

Hey thanks for a reply tbh I didn't expect it in such an old thread!

Well maybe I'm too tall but I can't slide the seat into a position from where it would not be "easy" to push me back into the seat.. it's kind of always easy and comfortable to do that. Yet I don't overall feel very comfortable.

I guess you mean a shorter (normal) person would be "reaching" with their left foot if they are let's say too far and trying to push themselves back ?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 03:05 PM   #20
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well maybe I'm too tall but I can't slide the seat into a position from where it would not be "easy" to push me back into the seat.. it's kind of always easy and comfortable to do that. Yet I don't overall feel very comfortable.

I guess you mean a shorter (normal) person would be "reaching" with their left foot if they are let's say too far and trying to push themselves back ?
I'm not sure, maybe this can help:

item 2. of the checklist above deals with searching for a precise front-back position of the seat that achieves the following:

While your bottom is firmly resting as far back into the seat as possible (but without forcing it there), your left thigh is just resting horizontally on the seat and the palm of your left foot naturally rest against the inclined foot rest.

A way to check this optimum position may be as follows:

if you back your seat a little from the optimum position (say, half an inch), the palm of your naturally resting left foot will lose contact with the footrest, which can only then be touched with the toes -- and if you move the seat to the front beyond the optimum position, the bottom of your thigh rises from the flat part of the seat while keeping your left foot flat resting against the foot rest.

Remember that, after step 2., you still will have to go through the following steps on the list.
Appreciate 1
Az93935.00
      11-30-2022, 01:13 AM   #21
Az9393
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure, maybe this can help:

item 2. of the checklist above deals with searching for a precise front-back position of the seat that achieves the following:

While your bottom is firmly resting as far back into the seat as possible (but without forcing it there), your left thigh is just resting horizontally on the seat and the palm of your left foot naturally rest against the inclined foot rest.

A way to check this optimum position may be as follows:

if you back your seat a little from the optimum position (say, half an inch), the palm of your naturally resting left foot will lose contact with the footrest, which can only then be touched with the toes -- and if you move the seat to the front beyond the optimum position, the bottom of your thigh rises from the flat part of the seat while keeping your left foot flat resting against the foot rest.

Remember that, after step 2., you still will have to go through the following steps on the list.
Ok got what you mean thanks a lot, tried it just now and there isn't a position where my left foot doesn't rest comfortably or where I have to reach the footrest with my toes.. even in the furthest position it's still fully planted on the footrest. Probably the bucket seats are not the best option for me. I mean the top of the headrest is about where my neck meets my skull.
Appreciate 0