BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

03-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
X_and_M
Rep
Drives: X5M

Intro post - 6 months of ownership review and Dinan tune

Hi everyone. I wanted to make an intro post as I’ve now had my X5M for 6 months. The X5 took over daily driver duties from my B7 RS4 that I’ve had since new. I still have the RS and drive it once a week to get my 3 pedal and 8000RPM V8 fix!

My X5 is a Black on Black fully loaded example. Unfortunately I’m paying for a car with TVs and night vision that I will never use, but that’s what I get for not wanting to wait for a more sensible spec.

Engine / Dinan tune – Perfectly powerful SUV. Faster than my Audi stock for stock. A week ago I got the Dinan Stage 1 installed which is a must have. The car is much more driveable due to the improved low end torque. On full throttle the car pulls very hard. Low speed acceleration is moderately improved, I think the torque curve is the biggest factor here and throttle response may be slightly better. However, at freeway speeds the difference in acceleration is drastic. The car rips from 80-120 much much faster. I’ve spent considerable time in the new S63 AMG sedan and I think stock for stock the S class was faster, post tune the big SUV is very close.

Interior – Wow. What more could you ask for. The quality of the leather and especially the accent leather is excellent. Full leather was a must have option for me and I’m definitely glad I got it. The added leather and contrast stitching on the lower dash and door panels, really makes it feel like a $100k car! I love the seats. They're supportive for spirited driving and comfortable enough for a 4+ hour road trip. The steering wheel is great. I’m glad BMW went away from excessively thick wheels. As a tall person I really appreciate the size of the X5 cabin. Compared to other luxury SUVs the X5 is at the top. Ok a full natural leather Cayenne might be slightly nicer, but not $50k nicer. I recently sat in the new Bentayga and well a Bentley is just on a different level. However, I’d say the X5 is nicer than anything Audi offers even the new S8 Plus, and compared to a fully loaded S63 ($180k sticker) the X5 doesn’t feel too far off either. I've sat in a few nicely optioned Range Rovers, and don't think they are any more luxurious than the X5. Overall the quality of the interior was the biggest selling point for me.

Chassis / Handling – Perfect. I’ve taken the car on very tight canyon roads and the handling response and control is fantastic. The only drawback to me is the electric steering, which seems to be a gripe of most people regarding this new generation of performance cars. Definitely not the greatest sensation of control through the wheel, but the car’s incredible handling capabilities provide high levels of confidence. On public roads the X5M can hang with any sports car, it’s really that good.

Brakes - The brakes are pretty good. I got a little bit of fade after a very hard 15 minute twisty run, but for a car of this size no major complaints. Around town they work well. Even after the Dinan tune I think they are competent enough. Is it crazy that I wish ceramics were an option?

Tech – Top of my to-do list is ASD delete. I think the B&O is pretty good and it depends on the input quality, but I will reserve final judgement. I’ve always been a fan of iDrive and I enjoy all of the new safety tech (blindspot, brake assist, lane departure etc.) on my boring rush hour commute. No comment on the TVs. Haven’t used them and never will.

Transmission – Ok this is the one part of the car I’m not in love with. First off, I’m glad it’s a true automatic. This is a super luxury SUV so the gearbox suits the car well. BUT, why has BMW tuned it to act like a manual/DCT?? They’ve taken the best aspect of an automatic transmission, the low speed driveability, and deliberately made it mimic the worst aspect of a DCT / automated manual gearbox. The gearbox tune renders all of the fancy parking aids worthless when you have to feather the throttle or have the car lunge forward into a parking space. Second, just put a damn park button or something in the car. Why should I have to worry about explaining to a valet parker how to use the transmission in a luxury car? Really doesn’t make much sense to me. That said once the car is moving, shifts can be very smooth and fast or pretty smooth and super fast. I love the cracks the car makes shifting under WOT.

Overall, I’m incredibly happy with the car. It’s truly a lovely place to be in. In stock form, it’s fast enough to put a smile on your face anytime you mash the throttle. The handling is out of this world for a car of its size and practicality. If you stop being a cheap bastard and spend an additional 3% to get the Dinan tune or one like it, you’ll have a scary fast, incredible handling, super luxurious, relatively lowkey and practical car. In other words it’s really the only car you need.
Appreciate 7
      03-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Welcome ! Have to agree with 99% of the above.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Ryngo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 X5///M, DG

Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing!

I think the most interesting thing you wrote about the tune is much quicker it is as highway speeds. I've seen one other review of Dinan that that basically said the opposite. Given the quality of this write up I am going to trust your judgement. My tune just arrived today and can't wait to get it installed. Your post just got me really excited because one of my biggest longings is for more of that top end acceleration/torque. This car is a beast on the low end.

Excellent points about comparable luxury options. This car has sooooo much for its price. I think the interior is spot on and I'm excited for all future ///M owners who will benefit from the interior updating this car has.

...and you're not alone on the ceramic brakes! My buddy at work just picked up an M4 w ceramic breaks last night and I was drooling over them. @ ///M school, you get a real good appreciation of how they change your driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Would like to hear what you think of the B&O after the ASD delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

If the amp is in the same location...easy 60 second mod.
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1230390
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
herenow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwickman View Post
Would like to hear what you think of the B&O after the ASD delete.
Sorry if this is a NOOB question, but considering getting into a X5M with B&O. What is ASD delete mean? I am guessing it is just a code but what does it do?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:02 PM   #7
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Congrats and welcome.
      03-24-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow View Post
Sorry if this is a NOOB question, but considering getting into a X5M with B&O. What is ASD delete mean? I am guessing it is just a code but what does it do?
Welcome noob ASD is "active sound design" (or something like that) which equals a synthesized exhaust sound that is pumped through the speakers at very low volumes (I had trouble even hearing it). But for those of us who love music and/or hate fake exhaust noise, we want it gone. So it can be coded off or many folks have been pulling the cable from the ASD module that outputs into the B&O amp. Either way, fake exhaust noise is gone. HTH

And PS, get the X5M
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep

Is it easy to plug the cable back in once pulled off?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes. 60 seconds.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
herenow
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
Welcome noob ASD is "active sound design" (or something like that) which equals a synthesized exhaust sound that is pumped through the speakers at very low volumes (I had trouble even hearing it). But for those of us who love music and/or hate fake exhaust noise, we want it gone. So it can be coded off or many folks have been pulling the cable from the ASD module that outputs into the B&O amp. Either way, fake exhaust noise is gone. HTH

And PS, get the X5M
Thank you! Very close to getting this deal done, let's see. If it happens it happens
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

i have the dinan tune and eisenmann race exhaust.. i love it

my friends tell me i dont have to text them im outside .. ... they just hear me coming
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
jrusk
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5M / E550C

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_and_M View Post
Hi everyone. I wanted to make an intro post as I’ve now had my X5M for 6 months. The X5 took over daily driver duties from my B7 RS4 that I’ve had since new. I still have the RS and drive it once a week to get my 3 pedal and 8000RPM V8 fix!

My X5 is a Black on Black fully loaded example. Unfortunately I’m paying for a car with TVs and night vision that I will never use, but that’s what I get for not wanting to wait for a more sensible spec.

Engine / Dinan tune – Perfectly powerful SUV. Faster than my Audi stock for stock. A week ago I got the Dinan Stage 1 installed which is a must have. The car is much more driveable due to the improved low end torque. On full throttle the car pulls very hard. Low speed acceleration is moderately improved, I think the torque curve is the biggest factor here and throttle response may be slightly better. However, at freeway speeds the difference in acceleration is drastic. The car rips from 80-120 much much faster. I’ve spent considerable time in the new S63 AMG sedan and I think stock for stock the S class was faster, post tune the big SUV is very close.

Interior – Wow. What more could you ask for. The quality of the leather and especially the accent leather is excellent. Full leather was a must have option for me and I’m definitely glad I got it. The added leather and contrast stitching on the lower dash and door panels, really makes it feel like a $100k car! I love the seats. They're supportive for spirited driving and comfortable enough for a 4+ hour road trip. The steering wheel is great. I’m glad BMW went away from excessively thick wheels. As a tall person I really appreciate the size of the X5 cabin. Compared to other luxury SUVs the X5 is at the top. Ok a full natural leather Cayenne might be slightly nicer, but not $50k nicer. I recently sat in the new Bentayga and well a Bentley is just on a different level. However, I’d say the X5 is nicer than anything Audi offers even the new S8 Plus, and compared to a fully loaded S63 ($180k sticker) the X5 doesn’t feel too far off either. I've sat in a few nicely optioned Range Rovers, and don't think they are any more luxurious than the X5. Overall the quality of the interior was the biggest selling point for me.

Chassis / Handling – Perfect. I’ve taken the car on very tight canyon roads and the handling response and control is fantastic. The only drawback to me is the electric steering, which seems to be a gripe of most people regarding this new generation of performance cars. Definitely not the greatest sensation of control through the wheel, but the car’s incredible handling capabilities provide high levels of confidence. On public roads the X5M can hang with any sports car, it’s really that good.

Brakes - The brakes are pretty good. I got a little bit of fade after a very hard 15 minute twisty run, but for a car of this size no major complaints. Around town they work well. Even after the Dinan tune I think they are competent enough. Is it crazy that I wish ceramics were an option?

Tech – Top of my to-do list is ASD delete. I think the B&O is pretty good and it depends on the input quality, but I will reserve final judgement. I’ve always been a fan of iDrive and I enjoy all of the new safety tech (blindspot, brake assist, lane departure etc.) on my boring rush hour commute. No comment on the TVs. Haven’t used them and never will.

Transmission – Ok this is the one part of the car I’m not in love with. First off, I’m glad it’s a true automatic. This is a super luxury SUV so the gearbox suits the car well. BUT, why has BMW tuned it to act like a manual/DCT?? They’ve taken the best aspect of an automatic transmission, the low speed driveability, and deliberately made it mimic the worst aspect of a DCT / automated manual gearbox. The gearbox tune renders all of the fancy parking aids worthless when you have to feather the throttle or have the car lunge forward into a parking space. Second, just put a damn park button or something in the car. Why should I have to worry about explaining to a valet parker how to use the transmission in a luxury car? Really doesn’t make much sense to me. That said once the car is moving, shifts can be very smooth and fast or pretty smooth and super fast. I love the cracks the car makes shifting under WOT.

Overall, I’m incredibly happy with the car. It’s truly a lovely place to be in. In stock form, it’s fast enough to put a smile on your face anytime you mash the throttle. The handling is out of this world for a car of its size and practicality. If you stop being a cheap bastard and spend an additional 3% to get the Dinan tune or one like it, you’ll have a scary fast, incredible handling, super luxurious, relatively lowkey and practical car. In other words it’s really the only car you need.
Great write up! In the process of picking up a (slightly used) 17 or 18 X5M. Want to add Dinan tuning to it. Couple quick questions to send out there-
1. Will it still pass typical emissions test?
2. Is it possible to buy an extended warranty with the added Dinan tuning?
3. Has anyone out there determined how (if at all) it affected 0-60 run time?

Thx for all the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
carks
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M

Welcome and congratulations!
Nice write up, I really appreciate the Dinan commentary as I am thinking of installing on my 2017.
I was a bit puzzled by your transmission comment, regarding parking. There is not a "park" button, but I have never had to explain this process to a valet.
Anyway, enjoy the ride!

Last edited by carks; 03-23-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:45 AM   #15
JimmyZ06
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusk View Post
Great write up! In the process of picking up a (slightly used) 17 or 18 X5M. Want to add Dinan tuning to it. Couple quick questions to send out there-
1. Will it still pass typical emissions test?
2. Is it possible to buy an extended warranty with the added Dinan tuning?
3. Has anyone out there determined how (if at all) it affected 0-60 run time?

Thx for all the info!
1. Passes Georgia emissions test, no issues whatsoever
2. Yes, lots of BWM dealerships will sell, install and provide an extended warranty if so want to pay for it.
3. Not me, but it's definitely faster! I'd guess .5 secs or more.

2022 Marina Bay Blue X5M Competition

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:13 PM   #16
NoMoreAudi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86

Garage List
2019 X6M  [0.00]
Are you guys running Dinan stage 1 or stage 2?

Any noticeable difference between the two?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #17
BlueDevil63
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 M

The lack of a real Park drives me crazy. I valet park almost every day and eventually I get all the valets educated but then a new one comes along and they are totally stumped (as is anyone else I let drive it).
Appreciate 0