BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

2018 X5M Anti-Dazzle / Auto-Dimming Mirrors...

Are all 2018 X5M equipped with only Driver's side dimming only? Is the second mirror part of another package or just removed from 2018?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Are all 2018 X5M equipped with only Driver's side dimming only? Is the second mirror part of another package or just removed from 2018?
Mine does both mirrors and I have al the options except night vision.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #3
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Peculiar. Same here except without NVA and RSE but I doubt either would effect auto-dimming mirrors. On mine the Driver's side and the interior mirror dim. The Passenger does not. It does not have a dimming mirror or the plug behind it (unless tucked behind motor).
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Peculiar. Same here except without NVA and RSE but I doubt either would effect auto-dimming mirrors. On mine the Driver's side and the interior mirror dim. The Passenger does not. It does not have a dimming mirror or the plug behind it (unless tucked behind motor).
I think I have the same passenger mirror. Few months ago installed the Euro mirrors, that's when I noticed the passenger side had only one set of connectors. Driver side had the white connector and two black wires.

Here is the passenger side mirror.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I noticed it when pulling it into the garage for the first time. At first I thought it was a faulty mirror then when I looked at the mirror it did not have the wire running along the perimeter of the reflective side. Pulled it off and it looks just like yours. I have a set of Euro Anti-Dazzle electrochromatic mirrors and installed them as well but now the question is... Retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
I noticed it when pulling it into the garage for the first time. At first I thought it was a faulty mirror then when I looked at the mirror it did not have the wire running along the perimeter of the reflective side. Pulled it off and it looks just like yours. I have a set of Euro Anti-Dazzle electrochromatic mirrors and installed them as well but now the question is... Retrofit?
What's involved in a retrofit if you don't have the additional wire?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #7
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

On the E63 it involves running the wire with the connector to the driver's side connection so they run in tandem. On Audi it is more detailed and you need to swap door modules and other bits. No idea what it would entail on the F15/F85 and first I am even noticing it and seems most others on here were just as surprised as I am.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
i wonder if we can just tap off the drivers side wire? can it be that simple? or perhaps it's suppose to dim individually depending on the lighting condition?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #9
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

on the 2017 X5M i had all three dimmed together. i am guessing no more than a charge is required to activate the deviation in color but if it is like the E63 then it can be done just like that. in my head the path of least resistance was to run the wire through the engine bay and back in through the pillar as opposed to removing a dashboard. thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
on the 2017 X5M i had all three dimmed together. i am guessing no more than a charge is required to activate the deviation in color but if it is like the E63 then it can be done just like that. in my head the path of least resistance was to run the wire through the engine bay and back in through the pillar as opposed to removing a dashboard. thoughts?
Does the drivers mirror dim with the rear view mirror ? If so, we can probably tap off the rear view mirrors wire loom under the dashboard (if you can find it) then send the signal through the door jam on the passenger side.

But, I'm thinking the signal on the passenger side mirror may already be there. It may just need to extend it to the mirror and or just add a connector.

We need to access some f85 wire diagrams. Where can we get these ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

No idea. Perhaps there is a BMW Tech on here or someone who has access to ETKA.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

let the games begin:

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

ohh nice, where did you source the plugs with wires?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #14
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I could not find the P/N alone on ETKA/ELSA and started browsing. I stumbled across a seller on eBay. Still need a plan but at least I have the parts.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Does the drivers mirror dim with the rear view mirror ?
Yes, the dimming side view mirrors get commands from the interior rear view mirror to dim. It's the interior rear view mirror that has the sensors (one on the front & one on the rear).

If you need wiring diagrams...you can get them at the online BMW TIS website: https://www.newtis.info/

Just type the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select accordingly if you don't know it)...this will take you to a page that you can look manually...or you can type a keyword or phrase in the search box. In this case, I would type "electrochromic side mirror" or "electric outside mirror" and see what you get. The links with SSP are actual wiring diagram links...and within the schematic...if you see colored text...those are additional links that will supply more information.

EDIT:
Info below is an exert from the following link that explains the auto dimming of the exterior side mirror: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ics/1Vnc8Gi5aS

Darkening the electrochromic exterior mirror
  • The electrochromic interior mirror issues the request for the darkening.
  • The electrochromic exterior mirror and the electrochromic interior mirror are darkened automatically whenever one of the light sources coming from behind and which dazzles the driver is detected. The darkening depends on the degree of dazzling. The setting is carried out through the sensor system installed in the vehicle and the control housed in the electrochromic interior mirror.
  • The actuation signal is looped from the electrochromic interior mirror through the control unit (FRM, BDC, FEM) to the electrochromic exterior mirrors. The mirror electronics activated the darkening.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-14-2019 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 6
      03-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Does the drivers mirror dim with the rear view mirror ?
Yes, the dimming side view mirrors get commands from the interior rear view mirror to dim. It's the interior rear view mirror that has the sensors (one on the front & one on the rear).

If you need wiring diagrams...you can get them at the online BMW TIS website: https://www.newtis.info/

Just type the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select accordingly if you don't know it)...this will take you to a page that you can look manually...or you can type a keyword or phrase in the search box. In this case, I would type "electrochromic side mirror" or "electric outside mirror" and see what you get. The links with SSP are actual wiring diagram links...and within the schematic...if you see colored text...those are additional links that will supply more information.
[COLOR="Red"]
EDIT: [/COLOR]
Info below is an exert from the following link that explains the auto dimming of the exterior side mirror: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ics/1Vnc8Gi5aS
[COLOR="Blue"]

Darkening the electrochromic exterior mirror
  • The electrochromic interior mirror issues the request for the darkening.
  • The electrochromic exterior mirror and the electrochromic interior mirror are darkened automatically whenever one of the light sources coming from behind and which dazzles the driver is detected. The darkening depends on the degree of dazzling. The setting is carried out through the sensor system installed in the vehicle and the control housed in the electrochromic interior mirror.
  • The actuation signal is looped from the electrochromic interior mirror through the control unit (FRM, BDC, FEM) to the electrochromic exterior mirrors. The mirror electronics activated the darkening.
[/COLOR]
Thanks 😇
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just type the last 7 digits of your VIN (or select accordingly if you don't know it)...
I suspect you would have to enter the vin of a 2017 or earlier model since 2018 would not have the wiring for the passenger side. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #18
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

It would appear to me that this is a manufacturing defect or error in the harness. There is a connector for the mirror dimming/camera/adjustment just behind the tweeter in the corner of the door where the mirror mounts.

I am hopeful for you that it is just the mirror portion of the harness that is missing and you can stop wiring there.

It is possible to add wiring to the door harness as well but this is also split at the door jamb and you are going to need additional connectors/pins to make this work correctly and keep things watertight.

After thinking this through more, I would remove the tweeter / trim (look for a bavsound video of how to do this) and see what wiring runs to this plug. If the wiring is all there, it makes your fix much easier as it's only the mirror wiring that is missing.

See pictures below:
Attached Images

Last edited by ferrarif1; 03-14-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-15-2019, 07:31 AM   #19
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Do believe that if I purchase a 2017 X5M passenger side mirror all components may be there?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 11:16 AM   #20
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Do believe that if I purchase a 2017 X5M passenger side mirror all components may be there?
It all depends if the wiring for the dimming mirror is in the door harness that meets up with the mirror harness. I would take out the tweeter and see what you find there.

I am assuming that you have asked your dealer about this. I can't think of why BMW would make this change for 2018 and would push the dealer to fix things before you tear your car apart.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7265.50
      03-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
This is very strange. I sold Daytona the mirrors that I used on my 2016 X5M. That model year both F15 and F85 had autodimmjng mirrors on both sides. Hard to imagine that this saves BMW enough money to make the change. I'm hoping for you guys that the wire is in the connector for the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #22
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

the '16 and '17 i owned both had it. '18 does not.
Appreciate 0