BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #23
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Subscribed to see how things go. I've found a used euro-spec mirror that I'm going to buy. Worst case, I'll get the benefit of the wider angle blind spot mirror and best case case I'll be able to get the dimming to work too!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      03-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #24
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

You can see in the pics below what the wiring harness looks like for the "F" series BMWs that have EC (auto dimming) side view mirrors:

{EC - pass side wide angle mirror (left) vs EC - pass side original convex mirror (right)}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #25
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

if i recall correctly that is what it looked like on my f31... on f15/f85 it should look like this:

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #26
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
if i recall correctly that is what it looked like on my f31... on f15/f85 it should look like this:
How many pins on the harness? Wondering if it's 4 like the other example or only 3 assuming 1 less for dimming?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #27
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #28
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I noticed it when pulling it into the garage for the first time. At first I thought it was a faulty mirror then when I looked at the mirror it did not have the wire running along the perimeter of the reflective side. Pulled it off and it looks just like yours. I have a set of Euro Anti-Dazzle electrochromatic mirrors and installed them as well but now the question is... Retrofit?
Installed my euro spec mirrors yesterday and can confirm it's the same issue in Canada with no harness to connect for the dimming on the passenger side.

Staying tuned to see what's involved in the retrofit!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      04-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #29
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Found it easier to code the auto-dimming exterior mirrors off for the sake of symmetry than figuring out a way to enable the passenger side. If anyone on here has better luck or success getting this going please post.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #30
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Found it easier to code the auto-dimming exterior mirrors off for the sake of symmetry than figuring out a way to enable the passenger side. If anyone on here has better luck or success getting this going please post.
You coded them off just cuz the passenger doesn't do it? If at least enjoy two out of the three lol.

Weird they stopped putting these in F15/85
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #31
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

i have tinted windows so it isn't that helpful but i was more interested having it match than the option itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #32
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif1 View Post
It would appear to me that this is a manufacturing defect or error in the harness. There is a connector for the mirror dimming/camera/adjustment just behind the tweeter in the corner of the door where the mirror mounts.

I am hopeful for you that it is just the mirror portion of the harness that is missing and you can stop wiring there.

It is possible to add wiring to the door harness as well but this is also split at the door jamb and you are going to need additional connectors/pins to make this work correctly and keep things watertight.

After thinking this through more, I would remove the tweeter / trim (look for a bavsound video of how to do this) and see what wiring runs to this plug. If the wiring is all there, it makes your fix much easier as it's only the mirror wiring that is missing.

See pictures below:
So bumping up for a follow-up on this.

Sadly, got hit in a parking lot by somebody backing out without looking. As a result the passenger door needs to get stripped down,?repaired, and repainted. This means the body shop has to take off the side mirror and trim.

Is there something that I should have them look at when they get it off? Or something that I should ask them to do while things are apart?

Wondering if it'd be worth while to see about getting it at least partially wired up while it's all apart? ie make the connection at the mirror and run the wiring though the door and leave it as an open end in the passenger footwell where I could pick it up and finish the job later?

Hoping to put a positive spin on a negative event by getting this missing feature added!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #33
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLurker View Post
Quote:
It would appear to me that this is a manufacturing defect or error in the harness. There is a connector for the mirror dimming/camera/adjustment just behind the tweeter in the corner of the door where the mirror mounts.

I am hopeful for you that it is just the mirror portion of the harness that is missing and you can stop wiring there.

It is possible to add wiring to the door harness as well but this is also split at the door jamb and you are going to need additional connectors/pins to make this work correctly and keep things watertight.

After thinking this through more, I would remove the tweeter / trim (look for a bavsound video of how to do this) and see what wiring runs to this plug. If the wiring is all there, it makes your fix much easier as it's only the mirror wiring that is missing.

See pictures below:

Sadly, got hit in a parking lot by somebody backing out without looking. As a result the passenger door needs to get stripped down,?repaired, and repainted. This means the body shop has to take off the side mirror and trim.

Is there something that I should have them look at when they get it off? Or something that I should ask them to do while things are apart?

Wondering if it'd be worth while to see about getting it at least partially wired up while it's all apart? ie make the connection at the mirror and run the wiring though the door and leave it as an open end in the passenger footwell where I could pick it up and finish the job later?

Hoping to put a positive spin on a negative event by getting this missing feature added!
I would take a few pictures of the mirror connector if this is apart to understand what wiring is there or not. I'm happy to take a look if you post here.

The majority of wiring this is done by removing the interior door card so refinishing the outside does not buy you much.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #34
ferrarif1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85, G05, E46M3

Blank

Quote:
Quote:

See pictures below:

I would take a few pictures of the mirror connector if this is apart to understand what wiring is there or not. I'm happy to take a look if you post here.

The majority of wiring this is done by removing the interior door card so refinishing the outside does not buy you much.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #35
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

See pictures below:

Update - got the vehicle back from being repaired but never got the chance to arrange to get pictures of the disassembled parts. Oh well, putting this aside for now unless somebody else finds out more in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 02:50 AM   #36
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

I am about to do this DIY and will later on make a post about it. What it needs is Mirror Electronic to activate the dimming on Passenger side. Some buys Mirror assemly that came out from 15-16 F85 which includes this module already in it and when you swap the entire unit, it works without coding or additional cabling.

Or you buy the Mirror Electronic, depending on your options like 360 camera / lane assist. then swap the inside part with the one comes with electrochromic and you are good to go

, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
      09-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #37
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Hello folks. As i promised i have done the swap on my F85 with a unit that came out from G01 X3. But it did not work. I believe G series Lin bus or the Mirror Module SW working different than F series. Lane warning light flashed couple times after installation but nothing was working. I will sort out the F series soon and will be done with it.

, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #38
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Interesting my2015 F85 has auto dimming side mirrors, I guess some didnt come with?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #39
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Correct. 2018+ Do not have it.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #40
zhp pilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Correct. 2018+ Do not have it.
Also late model 2017s don't have it. Mine has a build date of June 2017 on only the driver's side dims.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      10-16-2022, 08:17 AM   #41
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

I would rather not have it all than have it only on one side. It is the one thing that annoys me the most on the E63.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 01:14 AM   #42
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhp pilot View Post
Also late model 2017s don't have it. Mine has a build date of June 2017 on only the driver's side dims.
Just picked up a '17 built in February of 2017, no passenger side electrochromic mirror. Very, very bizarre choice considering my plebeian Grand Cherokee had it on both sides and cost about $65k less original MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:32 PM   #43
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

While replacing the cracked passenger-side supporting ring of the side mirror, took a couple of pics of the electrochromic connectors on my 2015 X6M. The first pic shows the white male electrochromic connector on the mirror itself. The second pic shows the female white connector for electrochromic and the two black wires for the mirror heating element. Those two black wires connect to the two male connectors right below the electrochromic in the first pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by musa; 10-18-2022 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 05:06 PM   #44
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Alright folks, retrofit done successfully. I got a broken F26 X4 mirror with all options. Removed the lin bus module and swap with mine. Everything is working. I will swap to Euro mirrors and done with this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/njZsAB6kJbk?feature=share

, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 2
musa421.50
iconoclast7262.50