BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #1
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMX X5 50i M sport

2014+ BMW X5 50i vs 2016+ MDX

I am looking to ditch my 2010 FX35 and replace it with bit larger SUV. There just not enough trunk space in my car now for long trips with the family. I've been driving myself crazy comparing these 2 cars. One side of me wants go more reliable and tech with the Acura the other that wants the speed wants the X5. Test drove several X5 and love they way they drive. I was wanting to see what you guys thought and see if anyone is similar boat? Is the trunk space in the X5 similar to MDX with 3rd row down on both? What are we looking at with deprecation comparing the 2 for next 3 years? How about maintenance ?
I was planning on either getting a CPO or buying a aftermarket warranty if I go X5 route just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFX View Post
I am looking to ditch my 2010 FX35 and replace it with bit larger SUV. There just not enough trunk space in my car now for long trips with the family. I've been driving myself crazy comparing these 2 cars. One side of me wants go more reliable and tech with the Acura the other that wants the speed wants the X5. Test drove several X5 and love they way they drive. I was wanting to see what you guys thought and see if anyone is similar boat? Is the trunk space in the X5 similar to MDX with 3rd row down on both? What are we looking at with deprecation comparing the 2 for next 3 years? How about maintenance ?
I was planning on either getting a CPO or buying a aftermarket warranty if I go X5 route just to be safe.
Going from an MDX to an X5, I really miss the size of the MDX. Especially with 2 kids.

X5 is significantly smaller.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc1979 View Post
Quote:
Going from an MDX to an X5, I really miss the size of the MDX. Especially with 2 kids.

Which do you prefer driving? Do you only miss the space of the MDX?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
markymarc1979
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 G12 + 15 F06 + 17 F15

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Quote:

X5 drives way better, has better motor options and has better tech. Its just smaller.

Whats higher priority??
Appreciate 1
Russmov1328.00
      03-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Russmov
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russmov View Post
Quote:
Quote:

X5 drives way better, has better motor options and has better tech. Its just smaller.

Whats higher priority??
Not for me, was just curious on your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #6
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Interior quality is much better on the BMW... if that's important. However I don't think the F15 X5 is actually any bigger than the FX35 though...

Trunk space with third row in the X5 is pretty much useless.
      03-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Interior quality is much better on the BMW... if that's important. However I don't think the F15 X5 is actually any bigger than the FX35 though...

Trunk space with third row in the X5 is pretty much useless.
Don't confuse the FX with the Qx60 the X5 is bigger than 2010 FX35. I measured the 2 trunk space at one point last year when I started looking. The Trunk on the FX has curved glass for rear window and is not as tall or deep. When you put a large luggage back side ways it hits the glass. I have to turn at angle to get it to fit. Last trip we took. I took 2 large suitcases and it was a struggle shesh!
To my knowledge the X5 trunk is taller, deeper and wider than FX35.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Don't confuse the FX with the Qx60 the X5 is bigger than 2010 FX35. I measured the 2 trunk space at one point last year when I started looking. The Trunk on the FX has curved glass for rear window and is not as tall or deep. When you put a large luggage back side ways it hits the glass. I have to turn at angle to get it to fit. Last trip we took. I took 2 large suitcases and it was a struggle shesh!
To my knowledge the X5 trunk is taller, deeper and wider than FX35.
If you put that way, I can fit at least three large 32" suitcases as long as you remove the pull cover, so I guess the trunk is bigger.

However the trunk with third-row up is pretty much useless for anything other than a small bag.
      03-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
covertstyle
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xDrive 35i

Quote:
I was in similar shoes as you about 6 months ago! Was deciding between a 2017 MDX (I preferred the new infinity grill instead of the beak Acura grill) and an F15 X5. I wasn't going to be using the 3rd row consistently, perhaps two to three times a year with relatives in town, but still wanted that as an option.

I liked how the 2017 MDX came with standard lane keep assist, collision mitigation, ACC and lane departure (whereas the 2016 is an optional feature and I'd have had to look closely to find the right optioned vehicle). As far as performance, I was surprised to learn the MDX has 0-60 time of about 6 sec. That's with a naturally aspirated V6, without turbo. The SH-AWD seems to work pretty nicely as well around corners as far as handling. That was surprising to me considering the MDX only has 290 HP and 260 torque, compared to the 300/300 in the 35i.

In the end, I wanted a fun to drive SUV that had decent performance, desirable safety features, and a 3rd row. What nixed the MDX for me was that the 2017s were out of my budget. I preferred the X5 from the very beginning anyway and ended up traveling out of state to find a fully loaded 35i with 48k miles (ACC, drivers assistance plus, luxury line, 3rd row, lighting package) at a great deal (way below fair market range) with a PPI that checked out.

My wife has a Honda and understandably, the interior of the MDX doesn't look that much different, it is a luxury Honda after all. That's not necessarily a negative, but I preferred to venture outside of what we already own. The interior of the X5 is way nicer than the MDX, since it's still using the dated dual screen infotainment system. I believe a refresh won't be coming until 2020, but that'll be an entirely different price point as opposed to buying used.

From a practicality standpoint, the MDX is way more family friendly in my opinion. The 2nd row seats fold down easily with a push of the button and can also be done from the back of the trunk. There's a bit more space in the trunk when the 3rd row is up, compared to the X5. Again, I'll hardly be using the 3rd row so it doesn't matter to me very much at all, but it is cumbersome to fold the 2nd row of seats up to gain access to the 3rd row. It's not the easiest and smoothest manual folding mechanism, so the MDX wins out from that perspective.

As far as maintenance, I've been going to a friend of a friend's Indy shop and plan to change the oil every 5k as most people on the forum recommend. Got rear ended and while insurance covered the damage, it still cost $1700 in total just to replace the bumper. Original tires were finally done 6 months after purchasing at 53k so ended up replacing the OEM Pirelli RFT with a new set and that cost about $1200 total (tires bought offline and install). The parts for the X5 are definitely pricey. My X5 isn't CPO and I didn't purchase an aftermarket warranty, but am planning to put money aside when things come up.

The driving experience in the X5 is awesome though. I look forward to driving each time I get in. Apart from the speed, I appreciate the smooth change in shifts the most, it feels effortless.

Six months in, I have no regrets going with the X5. I love it! But in the end, it's really up to you on what you prefer. We can't have absolutely everything because there's gotta be compromise somewhere. Good luck on your decision and keep us informed on what you end up getting!
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
CT335xi682.50
      03-16-2019, 11:30 PM   #10
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

We leased a Nissan pathfinder premium and it was a nice car...

We looked at the infiniti equivalent and meh...

We skipped the mdx because 3rd row was tiny. Hated the interior.

I would go for a x5 without a doubt in my mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

We have a 2015 x5 and a 2016mdx.

Mdx is not a bad car, handles decent(it does weight like 1000lbs less than the x5, power is sufficient and the sh-awd is great. The car feels like it handles better when you accelerate through curves.

The sliding second row is nice when not using the 3rd row. The sunroof is horrible compared to the x5, braking is very average, and the interior is not bad but compared to the x5, completely different. Gas mileage is much better than the x5(50i)

Acura is a decent car and if you wanted to spend about 10k less on a car than the x5, it's a solid deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taseal View Post
We leased a Nissan pathfinder premium and it was a nice car...

We looked at the infiniti equivalent and meh...

We skipped the mdx because 3rd row was tiny. Hated the interior.

I would go for a x5 without a doubt in my mind.
Yeah the pathfinder and Qx60 are essentially the same car. They have similar engine to my FX35. Problem is both have CVT transmission so they are out.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
taseal
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Corvette, '15 X5,

Quote:
Yeah the pathfinder and Qx60 are essentially the same car. They have similar engine to my FX35. Problem is both have CVT transmission so they are out.
Yeah. Crappy...

I forgot to add we have 2 kids too (in car seats) x5 is more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Since we are discussing cost of repairs, I want to add I find overall structural integrity is a lot better on Germans cars than Japanese cars.

I've driven many Japanese cars at high speeds and they feel like the car is going to fall apart. I drove a friend's GTR at 100+ mph and I swear the car was going to disintegrate. I've driven my car 130 mph many times, solid as a bedrock. I have a Range Rover (I know it's not German) I've driven at the limiter of 155 mph, very solid. These are SUVs. The German sport cars are even more planted.

There is a reason these cars cost more to repair. Too many auto manufacturers (especially Japanese ones) will build cars to pass high on the crash tests. This results in tons of crumple zones using lightweight materials. BMWs are safe because they use higher quality materials like high strength steel which heavy. This results in overall greater structural integrity as well.

There are other factors as well that . For example, my car brakes are bigger than the ones of the highest end Escalade even though they are on similar price points and the Escalade weighs a lot more. Bigger brakes equates to higher maintenance costs.

I do have an off-topic rant though: I do find it a bit disingenuous of German manufactures who sell base models without many options though. I understand it brings in buyers and increased profit margins. Like some of you mentioned the MDX comes with many options standard whereas it costs extra on the X5. You never see a "official" review of a base model. They are always optioned a little if not fully optioned cars. Porsche is the worst; originally I considered a Cayenne GTS, but when I optioned out what I wanted it was better choice to just get a Turbo…

Last edited by alphaod; 03-17-2019 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Typo.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #15
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Would someone be able to measure the cargo area on their F15? Or send me a link if there is a post for this
Just the depth, height and width? I see a lot of info about total cargo area but looking for the dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #16
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

You can't compare driving experience with a Nissan GT-R and a F15 X5 50i.
One is a sports car and the driving is going to be raw with less comfort.. the other is a luxury SUV. If you want to compare driving quality then you would need to compare your X5 with a Infiniti QX60, Acura MDX, or a Lexus GX which are similar vehicles..

If you want to compare rawness of a sports car then compare a GT-R with a Z06 vette, Mustang GT350 and the likes.. these cars will feel violent at high speeds compared to the nice plush feel of our SUV's.
      03-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
crackerjack15
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

If your really into driving and want a sports car, the x5 50i is the choice! With the 20" wheels and 275/315 front/rear tires it's a beast! Cant even compare to mdx. MDX is nice don't get me wrong, but now where in hell even in the same class when it comes to performance. Trust me, I have a 650whp mustang right now and the 50i still impresses me everytime I drive it. I'll sell you mine. 2015 with full factory warranty for another 2yrs 4months and 46,000 miles. Has 53,xxx miles now. Zero problems. Never been to dealer other than factory maintenance. It's been entirely dealer maintained.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #18
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Went and test drove a 2016 Acura MDX AWD 40K miles with tech package. This one had the 9 speed auto in it. I was not impressed at all. I felt underwhelmed by the response when the pedal was pushed. I had to practically mash the pedal to the floor to get the car to move and even when I did its almost as if it didn't know what gear to be in, Almost like bad turbo lag. Coming from my FX it felt much more responsive and peppy. Also the trunk seem smaller in person. It was not as tall as I expected. I swear the roof on X5 is taller and trunk looks bigger. I hope this helps someone in the same boat as I've given up on the MDX and probably pursue the X5
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjack15 View Post
If your really into driving and want a sports car, the x5 50i is the choice! With the 20" wheels and 275/315 front/rear tires it's a beast! Cant even compare to mdx. MDX is nice don't get me wrong, but now where in hell even in the same class when it comes to performance. Trust me, I have a 650whp mustang right now and the 50i still impresses me everytime I drive it. I'll sell you mine. 2015 with full factory warranty for another 2yrs 4months and 46,000 miles. Has 53,xxx miles now. Zero problems. Never been to dealer other than factory maintenance. It's been entirely dealer maintained.
If your serious PM me your specs, color etc I might be interested if its the right color and options I am looking for.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
PanthersFX
M Performance Class ;)
United_States
Rep

I took some measurements of my Infiniti FX35, Porsche Cayenne and BMW X5
Depth is from trunk door to back of 2nd row seats. Width is measurement across from most usable point. Height is floor to roof.
Hope it helps someone

2010 FX35 (has hump on sides make it lose some floor usability)
Depth: 35 inches
Width: 42 inches
Height: 26.5 inches

2015 Porsche Cayenne
Depth: 37 inches
Width: 42 inches
Height: 30 inches

2016 BMW X5 50i
Depth: 40 inches
Width: 43 inches
Height: 32 inches
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
ComasF15
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver

2015 X35i, the 50 has the same interior room?

Went to Lowe's and bought a Bosch 10" table saw, put it behind the second row. Tall planter in second row plants for four hanging planters. Four hanging planters. Groceries. Sister driving, wife in passenger seat I'm in back seat 6' 220lbs with plenty of room. I can't believe all the stuff we had in there. More roomy than it looks.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #22
mp25
Private
Rep
Drives: 14 x5

As a long time 04 MDX owner I can tell you the 2 are worlds apart. I considered the new MDX's before buying a used 50. Pricewise, new cars are out of control and the level of features compared to a 3-4 year old BMW were essentially the same. The biggest factor for me was the V8. The V6 in the MDX is no slouch but it is the perfect balance of efficiency, comfort, reliability, and performance. incremental HP changes since the late 00's but nothing close to 400+ HP and torque. It's great for the family and I have essentially the same engine already in my Odyssey. For living a little on the on ramps and warming up with that v8 growl in the morning makes that morning commute less tedious. MPG wise, it is about the same 15/16 I got on the MDX in mostly city driving. I've traded efficiency, some comfort, and potential reliability for performance and more performance.

Now reliability wise i have already planned for the sticker shock, since I can't do everything that I used tobe be able to do my myself with the the Honda/Acuras. Hell you could just about strip a honda down with a 10mm and 12mm socket. I need like 5 tools just to change the oil on a BMW. This forum is great resource, but also a money pit since the customization options for BMW's are so much more tempting once you get started!

Something that still annoys me is all the hard plastic that BMW uses. There were creaks and rubs everywhere and it took a while to find most of them and put felt tape on them. There are still a few but again a problem that I've never seen on any japanese import I've owned. Plus I miss the solid Honda thump when closing the door, and am now met with the near metal on metal clack on the BMW doors since my kids and wife never soft close the door.
Appreciate 0